Author Topic: Gear ratio help....  (Read 10479 times)

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
Re: Gear ratio help....
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 10:09:32 PM »
45 tooth sprocket is 9.31" in diameter

42 is 8.72"

40 is 8.32"

38 is 7.92"

Admin

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »
I initially thought 2:1 so if the biggest is 16 front how large is a 32?

boltz2012

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 11:47:19 PM »
I only have 9.5 inches to play with in sprocket size....any more than that and ill hit the cv joint..

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2009, 11:39:35 AM »
a 32 is 6.72"

SPEC

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »
a 32 is 6.72"

How big is the 60 tooth?

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2009, 01:44:15 PM »
12.125"

Damn I should just post up a thread that has every diameter right?

SPEC

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2009, 01:45:54 PM »
That is a great Idea...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 08:19:40 PM »
1.75:1 sprocket ratio will give a top speed of 72mph with  a tranny input shaft rpm of 3250.That is assuming 11K redline(sounds low to me,isn't this a gsxr600?)X primary reduction getting cs rpm down to approx5700 rpm  times a chain reduction of 1.75 being a sprocket of 28 teeth on the tranny to get you a tranny input rpm of 3250.Assuming an average tire height of 23" you will have a top speed of 72 mph.I 'm wanting to know for sure the engine redline is before I go further. If I 've made a mistake,it's been a long long day.Before making a decision let's make sure of the redline. But at this point I see a need for a 28 tooth sprocket assuming the number in were right to get the right numbers out.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

boltz2012

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 09:31:44 PM »
You was right it was low. It redlines at 14k. And cant we get a bit more outta it than 72? I mean if i shift gears in the honda tranny wont that give me a little more. What im thinking is ill put the honda tranny in one gear and roll around like that. If i wanted more torque and low gearing i could downshift the honda tranny. Let me know what you think.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 09:34:01 PM »
What top max speed do you wish?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 09:38:08 PM »
Fabr, you didn't say what gear you figured that at.  I think I personally would aim for 100mph in fourth gear on the honda tranny.  5th could be overdrive.  2nd and 3rd might make for good trail gears with 4th being for wide open spaces.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2009, 10:51:08 PM »
I think your asking alot to get 100 IMO. Remeber that you want some low end as well as acceleration. 80 MPH is pretty good all considering IMO.

boltz2012

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2009, 11:55:11 PM »
Yeah im thinking 80 to 85 max. I dont want my boy ripping down through the woods at 100. That will do him just fine in the open feilds or sand. But what you do have right boost is that i was thinking i could use the different gears in the honda tranny for different driving conditions. Also im not sure how the shifting will work. I think im gonna have to play with it a little to figure it out. Like say im doing 60 in 5th on the bike tranny and 3rd on the honda tranny and i want to go faster I could up shift the honda tranny to 5th and downshift the bike motor to like 3rd. Or maybe ill find one gear in the honda tranny that will allow me to see all the speeds i want just at different torque levels. Gonna have to play with it. Also i know the honda tranny will handle the horse and the torque just fine. But the one question i couldnt ever get the other guy to answer was if it took the rpms just fine. I mean your looking at a tranny that only ever see's 8k top's on the input shaft and now its gonna see 13k to 14k. That is a big jump. So i may shell it and have to say fook it and go with a spool set up. I tried to tell everyone about this point before they went modding a car to put a honda tranny. Let me test it out on a car that im building and if it dont work then i think it will be easier to swap to a spool than to go from a spool setup to a honda tranny setup. May handle it without so much as a hiccup. Who knows? Ill find out tho. IMO i think it will be just fine.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:01:21 AM by Boltz2012 »

boltz2012

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2009, 11:58:52 PM »
 Holy shit fabr!!! I just looked and you are at 59 smites bro. Ima go ahead and maker 60 for you. I guess people have gotten into the habbit of smiting you. They get up in the morning and sit at the computer and tell themselfs I am gonna sign into DTSFAB and smite MASTERFABR and check my threads. Almost like needing a cigerate when you first wake up. You are really feeling the love.

artie on edge

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2009, 12:14:38 AM »
Hi ya Boltz, nice talkin this mornin. Isnt it kinda late where you are now? Waco Texas.... your not part of some really weird religious group now are ya?  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal