Author Topic: Sainz holds lead, Peterhansel crashes in penultimate Dakar stage  (Read 1076 times)

FeedBot

Sainz holds lead, Peterhansel crashes in penultimate Dakar stage

sainz fridayThe competitors have finally reached Cordoba, the home of rally in Argentina and final destination for the 2018 Dakar Rally.

Stage 13 was the last major opportunity for riders and drivers to attack and go for glory in a bid to make a late move in the overall standings.

Saturday is time to celebrate. A brutal 40th edition of the Dakar Rally comes to a close in Cordoba. Competitors have one final 120km (75-mile) special stage to conquer though before party time.

For full detailed results, click here.

Car

There were mixed fortunes for Nasser Al-Attiyah and Stephane Peterhansel as they tried to close the gap to leader Carlos Sainz.

Toyota driver Al-Attiyah raced to a second consecutive stage win but 13-time champion Peterhansel crashed early in the stage, damaging the Peugeot 3008DKR Maxi and seeing his hopes all but fade away.

“I think it’s finished now," Peterhansel said. "For sure, we will try to secure second place, so we controlled the gap with Nasser today. We drove a good stage. It was beautiful in the small canyons. The tracks were a little bit like WRC, but they were really clean and really nice to drive on. We never know if I’ll finish second. I’m crossing my fingers for me but also for Carlos – we never know what can happen… that’s motorsport."

Sainz finished 19 minutes back from Al-Attiyah and has just one more day to protect his comfortable lead.

Bike

Toby Price was the first rider to start Stage 13, and the first rider to finish Stage 13. The Australian led almost throughout the 424km (263-mile) special for his second victory in three days to consolidate his third position overall.

Leader Matthias Walkner knew he had it all to lose so was in safety-first mode as he bids for a first ever Dakar victory, finishing fourth behind Kevin Benavides and teammate Antoine Meo.

Walkner, who has a 22-minute overall lead, said: "I didn't want to do anything crazy as it was a really long day with the guys behind pushing like crazy. It can still all change really quickly and there is still one day to go."

Quad

Ignacio Casale continues to cruise to a second Dakar title, finishing third on the stage to extend his overall lead to more than 90 minutes.

Argentine Jeremias Gonzalez Ferioli came in first in front of his home crowd with Nelson Augusto Sanabria Galeano in second.

Truck

Eduard Nikolaev led Federico Villagra by just a single second going into Stage 13. Villagra attacked from the off but the Argentine suffered a mechanical at the 79km (49-mile) point and despite battling on for as long as he could, had to abandon the rally, leaving the Russian in total control.

Source: Sainz holds lead, Peterhansel crashes in penultimate Dakar stage

Via RSS and the FeedBot.

This is from the fine folks at http://www.racer.com/.  They sometimes have fun off road stories and news stuff.

Feel free to discuss?  

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal