Author Topic: syracuse pics  (Read 14057 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
syracuse pics
« on: June 02, 2009, 09:47:28 PM »
I have a few pics of the camp grounds at syracuse while I was there over memorial weekend. I did not take any pics of the sand, well just because there really isn't anything to take pics of but vegetation! there is only about 10 hills ( small dunes ) to ride on that are open and free of grass and sage. basically 1/8 th the open sand the LS has. I do think in 5 or so years when they get the green gone however they can it will be a very nice alternative to LS but until then if you don't live very close don't bother unless you want a nice place to take a jeep or other offroad truck. I am glad I did go just to see it. they could use about 500 rock crawlers or other offroad trucks to come in and wipe everything out. I did have a good time down there though, the poker run in the jeeps after dark was great and what little sand they do have open was fun. the sand is just like nw nebraska, packed on top but once you break through it's more like baby powder.  I did manage to snap my tranny while I was there so I am still in the process of removing it to send off to shane to get it fixed. I am making change to the rear skid plate and adding cutting brakes for the trails then I will send it to the powdercoaters to finish it finally.

here are some pics of the camp grounds and my transaxle.

Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: syracuse pics
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
more pics

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:51:59 PM »
more pics

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:59:29 PM »
transaxle pics
not sure yet what let go on the back of the transaxle to shove what ever into the nose cone and split it like that. I do not mount my transaxle by the nose cone either but rather by the case. I will know what happened next week or so!

I can tell you that right before it broke I was riding wheelies off the top of a dune and accidentally caught about a foot of air and landed still in a wheelie so I mashed the throttle to hold it up and ride it out. did that about 3 times then found a jump I wanted to hit kind of like a stair step but before I hit it I wanted to check out the top so I was climbing the hill when I head this snapping noise and shut it down fast!!  I couldn't go forward because the transaxle would lock up  but I could go backwards just fine. so I had to be pulled backwards over the dunes by a jeep with swamper tires on over three dunes from the middle of the park basically. were as that was a rush hoping dunes backwards I don't want to do it again!!!!  :o ;D

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 10:12:31 PM »
Owie.  :'(

Sorry to hear about it.

Get her fixed up soon and fill us in on the cause.

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 11:10:19 AM »
ds looks like its time for some powdwer coat. Our is that your new chia pet! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 11:32:12 AM »
This thread has been "pruned" . I did it. Previous comments are not needed . Syracuse is a small town riding area that has potential but  IMO not the way it is being done.DS put up pics and members can make their own decision as to whether it is a good pace to go or not. If anyone wants the "scoop" please do so in PM's. fabr
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 12:25:28 PM »
ch ch ch chia ch ch ch chia  ;D  ya after the 3 rain storms I hit coming back with the rail on the open trailer it does look like a chia pet! and it is going in for powder coat.

to all those that have never been to syracuse,  I did enjoy my trip down there mainly because of the friends I met up with down there. never really matters where you end up as long as there are good friends and good food or atleast good drink!!!!  ;D

as far as the riding goes there is not enough sand open for rails in my opinion for a 7 hr drive!  there are power and water sites for camping but not to many and plenty of primative. the pics of the gravel pit pond are of the middle of the parking lot which is on the se corner of the camping areas. the park is across the street from there.  for a local place it's not bad and after they get all the grass and sage off I think it would be a nice alternative.  I will say this the town of syracuse is far far nicer, cleaner and more up to date than waynoka.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 02:14:26 PM »

there are power and water sites for camping but not to many and plenty of primative.

DS
  Where did they have the power and water?  When I was out there  They had two porta pot's and that was it.  You had to go into town to get power and water.   We stayed at the the guys place that runs the local body shop on the main drag out of town.  He had ten lots set up for 20 bucks a night with full hook up's. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 06:42:36 PM »
DS
  Where did they have the power and water?  When I was out there  They had two porta pot's and that was it.  You had to go into town to get power and water.   We stayed at the the guys place that runs the local body shop on the main drag out of town.  He had ten lots set up for 20 bucks a night with full hook up's.

here are two little maps the one of the park is the one they have for visitors and the other is one I drew, ya my hand writing sucks. everything on the north and north east side of the gravel pit is primitive camping. I camped in the primitive because I assumed that memorial weekend would be busy so I left the big trailer home. at the peak of the weekend there couldn't have been more than 70 people there! that part I really liked. ;D ;D

just so everyone is clear I am not posting the pics to promote this park just some pics of when I was there braking my toy. if you live fairly close it is worth checking out but if you live a distance away you might want to wait a while or go for the day then drive another 4 hrs to LS, someone told me this before I went and I didn't listen I wonder who that was :-\ ; ;). it was fun once for now but they have a long way to go before it is anything like LS but for the locals they have a blast!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 09:32:19 PM »
the purple rail in the above pic is one I converted out from beam to a-arm for the former owner about 2 -3 years ago. the new owner was there with the rail so I got a chance to talk with him. I saw a few a-arm conversion someone is doing locally, we won't comment on that one!  guys what do you think of the gas tank up front? I didn't make the tank but modified it because the owner wouldn't/couldn't move it. so he left me no choice but to blow a hole through it to connect the steering shaft. I said this will get real ugly if you rupture the tank with that shaft but I was out voted. I am surprised no one has commented on it yet. that front end conversion kit was the old style design the new ones look like the front of my rail or enemy's.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 09:48:16 PM »

here are two little maps the one of the park is the one they have for visitors and the other is one I drew, ya my hand writing sucks. everything on the north and north east side of the gravel pit is primitive camping. I camped in the primitive because I assumed that memorial weekend would be busy so I left the big trailer home. at the peak of the weekend there couldn't have been more than 70 people there! that part I really liked. ;D ;D

just so everyone is clear I am not posting the pics to promote this park just some pics of when I was there braking my toy. if you live fairly close it is worth checking out but if you live a distance away you might want to wait a while or go for the day then drive another 4 hrs to LS, someone told me this before I went and I didn't listen I wonder who that was :-\ ; ;). it was fun once for now but they have a long way to go before it is anything like LS but for the locals they have a blast!
Hmmmm,I wonder?  ;D ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 09:57:18 PM »
Fuel tank? yeah! To be honest I didnt notice it.

Personally Im not in favour of it but each to his own I guess. I cant see how the shaft will ever rupture the tank and I guess these things dont hit trees that often... if they do they are WAAAAYYYY lost.. ;D A rupture would dump the fuels straight onto the sand? Not run back to the cabin area? Either way... I still dont like it.....  :-\

Just doesnt 'seem' right to me. I have seen a car with two tanks, one either side of the driver and navigator, that didnt 'seem' right either but it was race legal.  :police:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:59:21 PM by Artie on edge »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 05:54:17 AM »
A tank under the seat seems foolish also but many are built that way.When it really is considered tho there's no place really safe for the tank considering the flimsy way most are constructed,mounted and such. A FuelSafe container($$$$$$$$$$$$) is the best option and then mount it just about anywhere you wish.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 06:03:38 AM »
I just re-looked at that picture...I didn't know what that was till you said something...I guess it puts more weight on the front tires ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal