Author Topic: AR-51 build  (Read 136794 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: AR-51 build
« Reply #240 on: January 07, 2019, 06:25:57 PM »
No sir, no lip.  I do check them before every trip though. 

That shaft is a G&G 21 spline shaft.  Model# 112A2221.  There is no spec on material type.  I may have to contact G&G to get that info so see if I can even heat treat it.

Justin
Yup.That's the first thing.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2019, 02:55:30 AM »
Mine is g&g 21 fully splined. Or it was before I sold the that spool. I bought from Jody at protodie he had it heat treated. Seems like about $50?  It looked new when I pulled out of car.  Car was 1125 but was back when was a 3 seater. I shaved some weight when I carved it but prob still close after turbo stuff. Rpm box about same weight as spool.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2019, 10:56:32 AM »
 i see on  g&g's site that the splined shafting is offered in   1045, 1144 and 4140. if protodie were smart , then they ordered all 4140. i bet there ordering it in 1045 as thats rated for high tq on ag equipment. the part people fail to understand when looking at ag tq #'s is thats all lower rpm.  to put this in perspective for those that have never driven a tractor......1500 rpm on a pto is pretty high rpm on the crank of an older diesel tractor. 
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2019, 11:01:57 AM »
so larry short of short sand cars used to have a custom shaft made that was a  1.25" od, 10 splined but missing 1 spline. this was because he used a 4 link rear end with u joints and he used the u joints off the late 60's 2wd chevy's with 2 pice drive shafts. they had a dead spline to line them up. when i started building way back i bought the shafts from larry's supplier, zimmerman machine in utah. the shafts were 4130 hardened and no one ever broke those. now the custom stub axles he used that were quadzilla size shafts to run quadzilla hubs, were through hardened and he ran 12" dia wheels. those shaft were 1045 like most production car axles , then hardened. his stubs were 50/50 if they lasted lol

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #244 on: January 08, 2019, 08:46:24 PM »

Offline deranged

« Reply #245 on: January 15, 2019, 05:04:30 AM »
Back at it! 
Not much for visual, but all the little stuff like delrin bushings, pivot tubes for the rear suspension, weld bushings and parts.

I did cut the B-pillar off to extend the mid rail to the new center section.  Turned out great!  I only had to pull out the ratchet strap once to pull the original chassis back to my center line. 

I will be buying this radiator.  It will fit perfectly between the new roll cage.  I think I will run an nice big 16" fan that pulls 2300 CFM.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3ROW-Core-RADIATOR-For-Chevy-Impala-Chevelle-EL-Camino-I6-V8-1964-1968-Aluminum/252165657107?fits=Model%3AChevelle&epid=0&hash=item3ab63e9213:g:bnkAAOSwE0JY~ais:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

I mocked up the roll bar hoop with a piece of PVC I had laying around and I like it!  I will make a complete hoop that ties back into the mid rail up front.
The diagonal that (yellow tape) goes up and back to the new center section will be removable to get the ole big-block into the chassis.

The seat is also back 3" and up 2.5" which improves the feel of the seating.  This will also give more room for my under seat/speaker box slash fuel cell.

I live nowhere near a desert....

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: January 15, 2019, 09:35:43 AM »
LOOKS GOOD,NICE WORK!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline jersdunz

• Fabricator
« Reply #247 on: January 15, 2019, 11:15:59 AM »
Whenever I see projects like these my brain jumps straight to the question..
Wouldn't it be better to build a whole new buggy so the SideXSide Comparison of the changes can be done in real time in the Sand..

Put this one back together and build another FOR SCIENCE!!

FOR SCIENCE!!!
https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-and-performance/performance-catalog/turbo/gt2860rs/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:52:38 AM by jersdunz »

Offline deranged

« Reply #248 on: January 16, 2019, 04:46:10 AM »
Thanks fellas!

HAA  yeah, I contemplated just starting over, but i will save that for another build. 

I DO like that turbo you linked me too.  Gonna keep it NA for this year and MAYBE turbo it next winter.

Justin

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2019, 07:18:27 AM »
leave it n/a and turbo the ap build you have coming down the pipe!  ;) ;D

Offline deranged

« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2019, 04:36:15 AM »
Not much time as of lately spent on the car.  Business travels have kept me pretty busy.  BUT, I have the back of the car all tacked together!  I kinda like how it turned out.  It really isn't too structurally important, so I did a miter cut at the bottom. Still some more bracing to add, but i'm getting there.  If you look at the pictures, I will have a dead tube where the roll cage attaches to the rear of the chassis, so iv'e got to sort that out once I get the cage in place.  A heavy 1/16" gap at the bottom, i will take that.  I just ordered my 1.5" and 2.6" stainless exhaust parts, some cool 1.5" to 3" stainless steel cones that a company out of Michigan makes for my exhaust sizing transitions, a Magnaflow muffler, v band clamps, a Walbro external fuel pump, Aeromotive FPR, a 22"x 19" radiator, aluminum shroud and a Spal 16" fan.  I have also machined all of my delrin bushings, crush sleeves and have everything cut and bent for my lower rear arms.  Next week I am sending some tubing off to Griffen Fabworks to get rolled for my roll cage.  Iv'e gotta get moving!!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #251 on: February 13, 2019, 08:16:49 AM »
looks good! what do you mean, send off tube to get it rolled for the roll cage? a tube roller vs a tube bender?

Offline deranged

« Reply #252 on: March 18, 2019, 05:20:04 AM »
Good lord, being busy and partially lazy in the winter sucks.  HAA!! 

I have been making progress though. 
I fit up my lower arms to see how things look when in full droop.  I wanted to see the clearance around the CV in full droop as well as locate my shock mounting points. 
I have 19" of travel with 5" under the chassis at full bump, and 39* of CV angle.  I will be ordering my inner CV's and axles to make sure things are rotating as they should.  I mocked up my shock location to verify and things are landing as planned.  Shock angle at full bump is a touch off 90* and I can live with that.

I also got the engine and exhaust fit up.  V-band clamps are freaking AWESOME!  I like the center exit exhaust, however it takes up a lot of useful space for things like fuel tank, radiator in the wing...  So I am thinking of other alternatives.  Possibly run the muffler vertical behind the engine and bull horn off and have the exhaust exit on each side of the chassis.
One thing I did also was got rid of the miter joint on the bottom rear of the chassis.

Thoughts on a fuel cell next to the muffler? Above the muffler?  I would make a tunnel of sorts and insulate it to keep as much heat away as possible.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: March 18, 2019, 10:00:10 AM »
Run the exhaust under the sprocket carrier would be sweeter. Looks good BTW!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #254 on: March 18, 2019, 03:48:02 PM »
Looks good.  Did you build or buy the outboard rear bearing carrier?  I agree with fabr on the exhaust if it fits.  Add a some insulation and heat shield.  Bring it down to the dunes in 6 weeks and we'll just finish it up there ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal