Author Topic: Kawaski Brute Force Turbo  (Read 16131 times)

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Kawaski Brute Force Turbo
« on: January 09, 2016, 03:51:20 PM »
Psi is like crack for me, so I am needing another fix.. It is a sickness. BUUUUT, I'm not ready for rehab just yet!

Project "BoostalotaBrute"
 2012 Kawasaki Brute Force.
Fuel injected, 4-Stroke, SOHC 90* V2
49.8HP @6750 44ft-lb @5250 (@ crank from the book)
9.3:1 compressing ratio.. ;D ..Well that's just begging to be pressurized dammit.

This is my garage tow/pull rig, sandbar runner, submarine, wood hauler, mountain pass transportation, river side beer fetching device, sunshine finder, dune machine, mud bogger, and lounge chair all in one. It has been a great machine and has with stood much punishment thanks to the crew I run with around these parts. Couldn't be happier with it!!
It's current setup is a 1-5/8 full Muzzy System, K&N, air box mods for the snorkle system that opened it up over factory, and a Digitune to bring some more fuel in from the factory ECU. This put down 40hp at the wheel on the Dyno Jet. My goal is 80hp, that I believe is possible @6-8psi. This will be intercooled on 91 octane. Probably go a little rich at this octane, but unfortunately its the best we have at the pump around here. Probably run a blend with 100 octane for 10psi. The turbo I am using is a Garrett GT1544 http://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbocharger#GT1544 Very efficient at 10psi, which is the max I would ever push this motor on stock internals. If I don't do any full boosted landing or something even more brilliant, I think the drivetrain will be up for it easily.

For boost fueling, I am building a secondary injection system to be run by a MicroSquirt in "Fuel Only" mode with speed density.. For now anyway.. In the future, the MicroSquirt will be running all the engine systems with a pair of 42lb injectors in the factory location and ditch the factory ECU and the secondaries. Still working some bugs out on that one..

Here's the baby Garrett and the merge collector, down pipe flange, and oil return fitting finished up. I was able to retain the original Muzzy cylinder 1 head pipe back to the rear cylinder, all other muzzy exhaust was ditched for a new route.

Brackets built and turbo mounted with original heat shield tabs from factory exhaust system. Fits really good behind cyl2. I added an extra layer of Thermal block to the original Tank heat shield for extra measure from the turbine heat.

All exhaust will be wrapped after some run in and dyno tuning. Down pipe ties directly back into the Muzzy muffler in the original location. Going to keep it this way for the spark arrestor so its legal in the Rockies, but have a straight pipe built that can swap out in about a minute. Want to dyno both ways to see the differences.

Intercooler tabbed up and mounted using factory tabs. It measures 19"x6"x2.5", with a core or 12"x6"x2", fit really good here.

Turbo plumbed out.

importing more pics so more to come..

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:06:52 AM by Enemy »
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Re: Kawaski Brute Force Turbo
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »
Here are the secondary injectors being built. Quite the oddball angles to work with in the airbox to fire the injectors down the throats so this is what I came up with. Injector holders mocked up in the plenum. I'm using the factory lid mounting system as the pedestal. Then injectors and then the fuel rail. This all clamps down together at the center mount that will also double as one of the boost plenum lids' mount.

The first butchering of the factory airbox.

Bulkhead fittings to tie in line with the factory fuel system. By the math, the factory pump should be up to the task at 10psi, if not I will drop in a bigger pump and do a regulated return system with boost reference.

The brains of the fueling. Pressure reference is from a 3-bar GM map sensor
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/microsquirt-engine-management-system-w-30-wiring-harness/
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/map-gm-3-bar-map-sensor/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:23:19 AM by Enemy »
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 04:59:48 PM »
COOL!!!!! Ready for LS?????
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 05:13:29 PM »
looks a lot cooler in person  ;D and will even more soo out on the sand!!!!!!!!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 05:33:09 PM »
COOL!!!!! Ready for LS?????
THANKS and very much hoping so!!!!
I was readying a phone call to ya yesterday with a question about Poly, but figured I would post it up here, it will be better with a visual reference. I am in the process of tearing it back down now (I put it back to pre turbo for a New Years camp out the Loup river) and will get the appropriate pics ready. I am at the point of building the turbo "Hat" for the airbox lid and will need much knowledge and assistance oh Jedi Master  :D

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 05:35:31 PM »
looks a lot cooler in person  ;D and will even more soo out on the sand!!!!!!!!
Test runs in your back pasture? Right now would be some nice sharp ice/snow boulders that is the consistency of concrete for roost!
 thumb down thumb down

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 06:19:23 PM »
Nice! Now put a cage on it ;D
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 06:20:47 PM »
Are you going to adjust the valves on there since your adding boost. I know you never have.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 11:01:07 AM »
Are you going to adjust the valves on there since your adding boost. I know you never have.
Don't they do that at the factory? ;D
Yea, it is definitely overdue..

Got the exhaust finished up and went ahead and wrapped it, still itching.. Not a fan working with that stuff! I built a straight pipe for it but it is so obnoxious even with the turbo quieting the notes down I am not even going to mess with it.. Working now on getting a clean tack signal and MAP signal to the Microsquirt. Individual throttle bodies have no air plenum to soften the signal so some guys have come up with a simple mechanical fix!
Vacuum lines tee together from each cylinder, then to a restrictor (in my case, a .035 MIG tip) then to an air plenum (small plastic fuel filter)
Worked like a charm! Can be tuned using different sized restrictors and filters in different locations in the circuit.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:12:09 PM by Enemy »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 11:28:44 AM »
enemy"Individual throttle bodies have no air plenum to soften the signal so some guys have come up with a simple mechanical fix!
Vacuum lines tee together from each cylinder, then to a restrictor (in my case, a .035 MIG tip) then to an air plenum (small plastic fuel filter)
Worked like a charm! Can be tuned using different sized restrictors and filters in different locations in the circuit. "

Like the workaround that. Very nice.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:31:45 AM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 03:52:09 PM »
impressive. how did you come up with this idea?

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 08:47:08 PM »
Found a guy on the msextra forums that was using a couple little co2 cartridges  from a BB gun that he tapped on both ends for vacuum lines to clean up the signal to the MAP sensor. I had a couple but they haven't been expelled yet and didn't want to waste them lol

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 03:13:56 PM »
Where did you get your injectors from?

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 10:20:10 AM »
Secondaries are Simens-Deka 44's I bought direct. If the Microsquirt works out like I'm hoping I will use the 42 high z's from RC injectors that will install in stock location instead of secondaries.
http://www.rceng.com/Saturated-Injector-SM2-0450-P69C13.aspx

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 06:21:17 PM »
Got all the spaghetti plumbed in and pressurized! Had a hell of a time getting a tach signal from the coils, but Matt at DIYTune got me set up using the factory crank trigger and the stock 24-2 trigger wheel instead. So now I am that much closer to making this a full stand-alone and totally controlling fuel and spark  ;D ;D
Rock solid signals all the way to redline and was able to pull to 5 psi loading the turbo against the brakes, but quit before I smoked the belt lol. I think it is going to spool rather quickly from the sounds of it!

Ended up building the intake plenum out of 2 pieces of 1/8" aluminum, and bonding the ends to the reused K&N filter gaskets with urethane. Cleaned it all up and shot some paint on it. Not sure how the factory filter lid will hold  10 psi at the seal but will give it a shot for now. Can cut a nice lid out of aluminum if need be to stiffen it up later.

[/url
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:30:09 AM by Enemy »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal