Author Topic: CVT a bike engine  (Read 13289 times)

Admin

Re: CVT a bike engine
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 07:38:51 PM »
You'll still be dealing with a primary reduction.No way around it and the shaft speed will still be in the 7-8K range.With a jackshaft you could increase that easily.Just remove all other gears but 6th in the bike trans .

6700 rpms, and about 105 ft lbs of torque guessing it is about 50 at 12500, rated 63 peak at 10500

Admin

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 07:39:36 PM »
It's a Bbbbaaaadddddd idea. 

Clutch basket is running backwards won't work.

If your going to use bike motor, use clutch and tranny.....

Other wise use sled motor.

Peace out!

are you sure?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 07:42:07 PM »
Yah won't lie and say I know exactly but in the higher gears the output sprocket of the motor bike engines is still dang high. Some of these motors turn 11,000 and 12,000 rpm so the reduction is practically needed.

Even the fabled Yamaha Vmax 4 cylinder 2 smoker sled had to reduce the rpms of the crank due to the motor high revving nature. I think the newer Apex and R1 do as well.

I do like to think outside the box BUT not if it means a ton of custom parts I would be afraid of breaking and not getting a repalcement easy for. I will also suffer a few extra pounds for tougher parts whenever I can as I mostly play and aint racing for bucks. 

I have had enough stuff break on me that I wish for reliability first. 300 horsepower is NO FUN is its not getting to those wheels.

I sold my Honda Pilot. It was HELLA fun. But something going wrong meant a search and a small fortune for simple parts. 

I wish for parts you can either make on a lath or buy at any local Autozone or Napa or scrap yard.

A shaft behind the motor is somewhat cheap. Easy to make and easy to have a spare in case you had to change it. Something from inside a case not meant for it can add up to problems in a hurry. The cost of specail shafts and specail cases means you could have bought the better sled motor in MY opinion.   
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:43:48 PM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 07:42:48 PM »

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 07:45:27 PM »
Yah won't lie and say I know exactly but in the higher gears the output sprocket of the motor bike engines is still dang high. Some of these motors turn 11,000 and 12,000 rpm so the reduction is practically needed.

Even the fabled Yamaha Vmax 4 cylinder 2 smoker sled had to reduce the rpms of the crank due to the motor high revving nature. I think the newer Apex and R1 do as well.

I do like to think outside the box BUT not if it means a ton of custom parts I would be afraid of breaking and not getting a repalcement easy for. I will also suffer a few extra pounds for tougher parts whenever I can as I mostly play and aint racing for bucks. 

I have had enough stuff break on me that I wish for reliability first. 300 horsepower is NO FUN is its not getting to those wheels.

I sold my Honda Pilot. It was HELLA fun. But something going wrong meant a search and a small fortune for simple parts. 

I wish for parts you can either make on a lath or buy at any local Autozone or Napa or scrap yard.

A shaft behind the motor is somewhat cheap. Easy to make and easy to have a spare in case you had to change it. Something from inside a case not meant for it can add up to problems in a hurry. The cost of specail shafts and specail cases means you could have bought the better sled motor in MY opinion.

And won't fit.

I agree 100%

Admin

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 07:45:41 PM »
The reduction is a must for sure...But its a bit to much imo, all tho it does offer increased torque... ;D I like the shaft idea as well, but i dont have enuff room for that...The chain would have to have about 1/2" between sprockets...

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 07:49:32 PM »
Think about it.To keep the rear sprocket a reasonable diameter you HAVE to have a primary reduction in the gear train.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 07:55:14 PM »
Think about it.To keep the rear sprocket a reasonable diameter you HAVE to have a primary reduction in the gear train.

Huh, you have to have the reduction for the rpm range, but the 1.87 in the 750 is a bit to much IMO, the 1.5 or whatever of the busa would be much better, keep the range in the 8 k or so as you said...What way does the clutch basket turn fabber?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 07:57:16 PM »
Wrong way.Forget it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 07:59:24 PM »
Bug you are fighting an extra Gremlin in the fact that you alreay have a frame you are being forced to work inside. This would be really different if building it all.

Something I have thought of with the shaft behind the motor that "MIGHT" help you is to run a chain off the bike motor to the shaft BEHING the tranny then mount the dirve CVT there and the belt forward.

Be easy to get to too tune. But is there room behind the drak tranny for it or would it need more room built?

I am soo thinking Evilbay and Craigs list and crashedtoys for a good four stroke sled motor. A lil persistance here will net you a mtor that is easy to install and looks like it belongs there.  At a fair price. but the best thing is you will know it be harder to break than a shaft off the crank of a bike motor.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 08:00:14 PM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 08:00:54 PM »
I agree with nuts BTW.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Admin

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 08:02:55 PM »
Ya, I likely wont ever do it anyhow.. a apex motor would be sweet, but not at the price...

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2009, 08:04:39 PM »
Nitrous is cheap!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2009, 08:09:31 PM »
Sled motors are genrally cheap. Go to a common snowmobiliers bar. watch for a fool whos already drunk from the last bar he was at.
When he leaves the keys and goes inside theres your motor....

Make sure you carry all the common devices for kill switche tethers used in case the drunk actually remmebered to clip that onto his belt. 

I am kidding of course.  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal