Author Topic: CVT a bike engine  (Read 13291 times)

Admin

CVT a bike engine
« on: January 01, 2009, 07:14:07 PM »
Here you go lets talk, I dont think its possible from the counter sprocket, rpm range would suck....Target rpm range IMO is 8500

Admin

Re: CVT a bike engine
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 07:16:43 PM »
A built 800 2 stroke is about 90 ft lbs of torque 150 hp, at 8500 rpms or so....
Benefit one from bike engine, no gas/oil, no extravagant pipe...ability to run various rpm range with ease....

Engineer and myselfs idea is to adapt via the clutch basket, so only one primary reduction, havent did the math to figure out rpms yet...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 07:21:20 PM »
You mean eliminate the bike trans alltogether?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 07:22:27 PM »
Busa clutch basket turns at 1.596 of crank rpm.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 07:23:13 PM »
A sprocket is pulled dead on so its flat surfaces hit other flat surfaces and its good.

The CVT would be out from the sprocekt area so increased load and ANY slop would make for an wearing angle and heat build up cause its gonna be tough to near impossible to hold the CVT on a tiny splined shaft as well as they normally fit a tapered one like they are made for.

If a bike motor was gonna be used you would need to move it away from the motor some anyway JUST for clearance so it would have a short shaft you could make stout and then connect to the bike motors output with a driveshaft adaptor or something you made to bolt of weld to a sprocket that fits your motor. The driven has a long shaft to so as long as the frame has clearance for it it would be pretty easy.

I also like an idea I cam up with before of running a chain back to a shaft that the drive CVT fits on then feeding the belt into your driven on the tranny or whatever. Being the chain could be longer it would not have the heting issues but again the frame would need to be able to accomodate it.

All in all with all the fabbin and Rubegoldbergin it might be miles ahead to scam around for a good deal on an Apex or a Cat 660 tubo or.....
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 07:25:23 PM »
yes eliminate the clutch basket all together, all tho, which direction does the basket turn?

I cant use a busa, not enuff funds...Lets talk gsxr 750 for a minute, here is the specs....

138hp at 12500
63 lbs torque at 10500
1.857 primary reduction
1.182:1 6th gear for refrence

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 07:26:04 PM »
I would have to look at some pictures, but it seems that you would have to have a jack shaft regardless, so you could come off the custom clutch basket/cover arrangement with a cog belt, up to the jack shaft and run the jack shaft across above the bike tranny, to where it would hold the primary for the CVT.  It would be higher, but back from the original location so that the belt length would work out.

You could get rid of the weight of that nasty bike clutch and tranny.  :o :o ;D

Rue-Goldberg all the way. ;D

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »
Whna I read counter sprocket I was thinking you meant the sprocket the chain feeds power out of in the bike.

To tap power any other way the cost are likley to be on par with a good modernday four stroke sled motor and you can have it tommorrow likely if you shop around.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 07:27:07 PM »
The busa would be far off center also.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Admin

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 07:28:24 PM »
A sprocket is pulled dead on so its flat surfaces hit other flat surfaces and its good.

The CVT would be out from the sprocekt area so increased load and ANY slop would make for an wearing angle and heat build up cause its gonna be tough to near impossible to hold the CVT on a tiny splined shaft as well as they normally fit a tapered one like they are made for.

If a bike motor was gonna be used you would need to move it away from the motor some anyway JUST for clearance so it would have a short shaft you could make stout and then connect to the bike motors output with a driveshaft adaptor or something you made to bolt of weld to a sprocket that fits your motor. The driven has a long shaft to so as long as the frame has clearance for it it would be pretty easy.

I also like an idea I cam up with before of running a chain back to a shaft that the drive CVT fits on then feeding the belt into your driven on the tranny or whatever. Being the chain could be longer it would not have the heting issues but again the frame would need to be able to accomodate it.

All in all with all the fabbin and Rubegoldbergin it might be miles ahead to scam around for a good deal on an Apex or a Cat 660 tubo or.....

2500 not an option, hell as much out of the box thinking you do, id think youd be all about this, I dont belive there is enuff rpms at the counter sprocket...

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 07:29:32 PM »

Admin

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 07:30:12 PM »
I would have to look at some pictures, but it seems that you would have to have a jack shaft regardless, so you could come off the custom clutch basket/cover arrangement with a cog belt, up to the jack shaft and run the jack shaft across above the bike tranny, to where it would hold the primary for the CVT.  It would be higher, but back from the original location so that the belt length would work out.

You could get rid of the weight of that nasty bike clutch and tranny.  :o :o ;D

Rue-Goldberg all the way. ;D

remove the clutch and basket, machine a tapered adpter to bolt directly to the gear just as the basket does, machine new cover with seal, support cvt clutch on the end...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 07:31:46 PM »
Getting rid of the bike gears will save MAYBE all of 10 #'s tho.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 07:38:37 PM »
It's a Bbbbaaaadddddd idea. 

Clutch basket is running backwards won't work.

If your going to use bike motor, use clutch and tranny.....

Other wise use sled motor.

Peace out!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal