Author Topic: New here, whacky reverse idea  (Read 8682 times)

Bennyhanna

New here, whacky reverse idea
« on: December 22, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »
Think of a diff in a car, or the whole carrier.  Left axle is input and right axle output.  Lock the diff and you have forward, onlock the diff but lock or hold the carrier stationary and the output shaft would turn in reverse.  I know it is not ideal because of chains to the input and output to the center carrier. But it should be fairly strong and if the diff gears grenade they should be cheap to come by at the junk yard.  Tell me if im stupid before I go into more detail.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: New here, whacky reverse idea
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 04:39:21 PM »
Welcome! 

It's a good idea.  I did it myself on a project in college 15 years ago.  The trick is making it clean and compact.  I was never able to.  :'(

The locking/unlocking part is what gets messy.

I like how you think!  Keep working on it.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 05:02:06 PM »
Remember the roughly 1:2 gear ratio INCREASE that yu would get in reverse.Be pretty high geared reverse.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 05:16:53 PM »
Remember the roughly 1:2 gear ratio INCREASE that yu would get in reverse.Be pretty high geared reverse.
Nope, 1:1 ratio in forward, 1:1 ratio in reverse.

You only get the 1:2 ratio if you lock one output shaft and spin the diff housing, the result is one turn of the diff housing equals 2 turns of the free spinning output shaft..

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:55:48 AM by Yoshi »

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 05:22:39 PM »
Think of a diff in a car, or the whole carrier.  Left axle is input and right axle output.  Lock the diff and you have forward, onlock the diff but lock or hold the carrier stationary and the output shaft would turn in reverse.  I know it is not ideal because of chains to the input and output to the center carrier. But it should be fairly strong and if the diff gears grenade they should be cheap to come by at the junk yard.  Tell me if im stupid before I go into more detail.
Your idea is not stupid, it's just a weaker version of a planetary gear without the advantage of having a lower reduction for the reverse.  I thought about it a long time ago. I think it would work best with an airlocker system and I would use a 4 spider gear diff out of a 4x4 suzuki samurai or something similar, I just decided to look more into a planetary instead because I wanted the low ratio for reverse...

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 06:47:15 PM »
1:1 ratio in forward, 1:1 ratio in reverse.

You only get the 1:2 ratio if you lock one output shaft and spin the diff housing, the result is one turn of the diff housing equals 2 turns of the free spinning output housing..

If you let the center of the diff drive the output, and the input was one side, lock them together and go forward 1:1. release the diff and lock the side opposite the input, and you go backwards half as fast.

;D ;D ;D  DO I get a prize????

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 06:50:38 PM »
NVM open mouth insert foot...... now your going forward half as fast.... OH well.

SPEC

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 04:13:08 AM »
Interesting concept,
And WELCOME TO THE SITE Bennyhana

Bennyhanna

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 07:11:19 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I know it will not be very compact so it may not fit for what I am wanting to build.  I got the locker part figured out, I think.  Ill be making my own carrier so the locker will be easier to implement. 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 09:05:36 PM »
NVM open mouth insert foot...... now your going forward half as fast.... OH well.
LOL!!! I do that all the time as you probably noticed today. I'm always thinking about "what if" and it usually inspires  me to say something stupid. LOL!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal