Author Topic: Gearing help please!!  (Read 2067 times)

atcsteve

Gearing help please!!
« on: April 13, 2009, 09:38:12 AM »
Ok so on this little mini I have ,it has a xr honda 650 motor and the sprocket on rear was a 45 and I wanted a little more on top end so I ended up with a 38!Is that too much?Any advice on this?Thanks guys!

Offline Yoshi

Re: Gearing help please!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:58:55 AM »
Ok so on this little mini I have ,it has a xr honda 650 motor and the sprocket on rear was a 45 and I wanted a little more on top end so I ended up with a 38!Is that too much?Any advice on this?Thanks guys!
1 down in the front is the same as 3-1/2 to 4 up in the rear.  Depending on how much top end your wanting, that may or may not be enough.  If it's not enough, I would suggest going back to the 45 tooth in the rear and going up a tooth in the front so you have more surface area for the chain to contact....

atcsteve

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:59:53 PM »
Ok,thanks.Im going home today and putting the chain on and find out how it feels with the 38 sprocket.I hope its not hard to take off with that gearing in it!!

Offline Boilermaker

• Grunt worker
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:30:16 PM »
Back when i used to ride dirt bikes i had a 1977 RM370 that i raced and trail rode too. I had front sprockets 11t to16t and four rear sprockets 44t ,48t,52t & 58t. I could hill climb or out top end most of my Buddy's. The best thing is to go larger on front until you get it where you want it (fronts are cheaper and easier to change) if you want more then go to a larger rear and go thru the front changing bigger till you are happy.

atcsteve

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 09:07:03 AM »
Wow what a change!First gear was sooo short and now its way longer,and it feels better to me.What a pain it was changing the rear sprocket for the first time.It needed it anyway,it was worn.Now to go try it out in the desert!Thanks for the help!Im going to start now with the front sprocket to dial it where it should be for me,and the riding we do!

Admin

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:28:38 AM »
Please install you some seat belts why you are at it... :)

atcsteve

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 11:50:53 AM »
Ok,so after the work is done,now I guess we are trading it thursday for the 2009 800cc rocketa!!The wife likes the looks of it and it will be easier for her to drive!The guy Im trading is comming from CA. and wants to get some belts to use at the dunes on the way home.Where again can I send him to buy them??Thanks again for all the help.Next it will be rocketa questions from be,so bear with me please!!lol

Admin

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 12:09:23 PM »
Rocketta isnt a joyner tho... When i said the joyner likely would have a higher resale value, I meant Joyner Brand name...

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 05:22:51 PM »
from everything i have read, its almost impossible to take off with a 45 on the rear. that the gearing is to low. thats why i got a 55 tooth.  with 45 being to low, how can a 38 be better? im a little curious.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Admin

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 05:43:10 PM »
from everything i have read, its almost impossible to take off with a 45 on the rear. that the gearing is to low. thats why i got a 55 tooth.  with 45 being to low, how can a 38 be better? im a little curious.

All depends on the engine...

atcsteve

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 09:16:52 AM »
Ok so mine has a foot clutch and it was a "short throw" when letting off it!It took some getting used to,but the 38 is a longer "roll out" and is much better for taking off!If that makes any sense???I also havent tried it any more than just down the street too,so we will see!

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 10:09:44 AM »
He never said it was hard to take off, he said he wanted more top end, so he has to gear it higher.......

your 45 was too high, you went to a 55 to gear it lower...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:11:47 AM by Yoshi »

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 11:14:05 PM »
i hope i didnt come across the wrong way.. im genuinly curious. :) i have yet to get my done.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

atcsteve

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 09:49:44 AM »
The bigger you go in the rear and you are gearing lower,vise versa in the front! The 45 that was on was a low end gearing,now its back-end gearing,if that makes any sense??

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal