Author Topic: Please post picks of rear drive unit  (Read 5303 times)

adubaz7

Please post picks of rear drive unit
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:51:46 PM »
I purchased a rear center drive from protodie and am looking for ideas on how to mount it in my frame I would like to be able to mount with some sort of pivot for chain tension
Please help by giving me some ideas pics would help also

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
Re: Please post picks of rear drive unit
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 05:11:39 PM »
Try getting a hold of DSrace or Enemy. I think they did something like your talking about on one of DSrace's cars and or Enemy. www.dandsracing.com may have some picts in the gallerys.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

adubaz7

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:23:50 AM »
I purchased a rear center drive from protodie and am looking for ideas on how to mount it in my frame I would like to be able to mount with some sort of pivot for chain tension
Please help by giving me some ideas pics would help also
In the second pic it shows the mesurements including the frame the only difference is I went with 8.5"
from end to end for the cv cups in the picture it shows 8"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 10:44:59 AM »
Sorry adubaz7, I am having trouble coming up with what your looking for.  There are lots of examples of what not to do!  Some of Doug's parts may apply, and you can look at how his adjusts, or Rick S. build.  I just don't know that their bearing setups are the same.

I am assuming that the gold blocks are holding the bearings.  Do they have tapped bolt holes in them or are they supposed to be welded to something?  Do you have the brake caliper and mount?  It really should ride with the carrier assembly, so that mount will need to be integrated as well.

Doug has some adjusters for sale that could pull the carrier back.  IMO there should also be bolts that lock it down once pulled to the desired tension.

I can't tell but I assume that the sprocket extends down alongside the frame rails.  This is going to make it difficult to run any crossmembers unless you go behind the sprocket at full adjustment, or in front of the sprocket where the chain is up and out of the way.  be sure to remember that the chain slack will be looping down on the front side, and if the crossmember is to close, the chain will saw a hole in it in short order.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:55:17 AM by Engineer »

artie on edge

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 02:22:42 PM »
Mate you bought bits from Protodie, ask him. Surely he can help....??

Admin

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 02:45:37 PM »
Protodie has not engineered it far enough to help... You need to weld the blocks to some paltes that slide or rotate, wouldnt cost ya to much, Sure wish i would have know, Rick S has a kick ass rear setup probbaly for what that thing cost ya, Doug is busy as a mo fo, Pm rick, he likely will work with you and design something up and cut the plates etc, 200 bux now is better than 400 on chains and tensioners in the next yr... ;D

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »
Yeah I have a center unit too that includes the adjustes for damn near what you paid for that. I am busy but I have a few pre made on the shelf.

Rick S.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 05:01:11 PM »
What does your frame look like? Do you have it worked out?
If I knew this I could probably give you some ideas. Double a arms? Trailing arms?

adubaz7

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 08:28:14 PM »
What does your frame look like? Do you have it worked out?
If I knew this I could probably give you some ideas. Double a arms? Trailing arms?

I have been a bit sick but I will be back working on the rhino tomorrow and will take and post up some picks soon
I thank all of you for your input and I too wish I had seen these other drive setups before I purchaced my unit I had post for help on the mbn site but was not yet aware of this site

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 09:35:06 PM »
Well Welcome to DTS! Still a new site here but developing very well. Feel free to speak freely here! Allot of people that have been on all the other sits with allot of experience and knowledge. Thanks for choosing DTSFAB

barndawg

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 09:52:40 PM »
I've got a mini with a broken rear carrier. I'd like to see what is available through Doug. Thanks

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 10:00:13 PM »
how much was the carrier assembly by the way, and what all came with it?

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 10:08:05 PM »
Yoshi he has them on Ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/930-CV-live-axle-kit-Sand-rail-dune-buggy-mini-buggy_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem140299639193QQitemZ140299639193QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I can make anything to any custom specs so what I have available is endless.

Ill post up new pics tomorrow of mine as I'm working on 3 at the moment and I'm building 2 different styles. Ill take them with the newer parts. These are out of date!

I also will Sell the Edge PIRCV but theres an ad on this forum where a guy has 2 for a price I cant even get close to.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal