Author Topic: Now what?  (Read 6143 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: Now what?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 10:55:54 PM »
wait, might have found it.....

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/AC502020.html
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 06:01:12 AM »
wait, might have found it.....

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/AC502020.html

That looks like the one.  And yes and axle will take out the cast steel splines of a hub in short time if the nut is not torqued to 275 foot lbs. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 07:09:49 AM »
Thanks, that also answered the next question - 275?   

Gonna need a bigger wrench......
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 07:44:04 AM »
We used a tq.wrench that was about 4 foot long at the dealership I worked at. I'd suggest using a tq. multiplier with a smaller tq.wrench(that I assume you already have) as a cheaper alternative to buying a big azz(expensive) tq. wrench. I'l tell you this also,275 is very hard to do withstock brakes. Why? Well because 275 ft. lb. is a bunch of torque and it easily is more than the stock brakes can hold. We ,manytimes,could not reach the proper tq before the brakes slipped so we used a 3/4 inch drive impact after torqueing to as much as the brakes would allow to"top it off" as the VW of America tech people suggested. That's not shown in any of the tech info tho.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 08:15:34 AM »
Thanks, that also answered the next question - 275?   

Gonna need a bigger wrench......

OK now bear with me here a second.  Take a long piece of pipe about six or eight feet long.  Weld on two tabs with holes in them about the same size as your studs.  Spaced far enough apart to go over two studs on the hub.   Using the pipe or cheater you mite call it position it on the hub.  This will keep the hub from turning. And then your can use a smaller break over bar and lock down the big nut.  If your break over bar is two feet long and you were to weigh about 200 lbs then with you standing on the bar and jump up and down on that would put you in the ball park of 275 FT lbs.

I Bet engineer could draw up something real quick in cad to show this?  I use a long piece of steel bar that is 1.0 squared with two holes drilled in it.  I weigh in at 230 LB and can jump on a 3/4 breaker bar two feet long and get the nut tight.

I have never striped one of these nuts out from doing it this way.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 08:37:02 AM »
That'll get you there also. Won't be accurate but will do the job every bit as well as the 3/4" impact will . LOL!!  Nope never had a nut strip but if a person did then the 275 was way way overshot. Whatever you do  make sure it's TIGHT. Much better than being loose as  yummi found out.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 09:25:05 AM »
I ground 2 flat spots on my 36mm socket and put a pipe whench on it with a 4-5 foot cheater. Works good
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

chrishallett83

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 11:16:20 AM »
If your break over bar is two feet long and you were to weigh about 200 lbs then with you standing on the bar and jump up and down on that would put you in the ball park of 275 FT lbs.

If your breaker bar is two feet long, you weigh 200 pounds and you stand on it, you are applying 400 ft/lbs of torque to the fastener. Jumping up and down could double or triple that...

Scooter

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 11:19:29 AM »
wowsers - the right side is what i would expect to see - splnes all the way through - how weird is that?   what would cause the left to fail like that?

The axle with the nut is detail of the left axle - it looks like the threads need to be cleaned and then it is good?

I used to have a Baja Bug (30+ years ago) and I had problems stripping the splines out of the drum....I think it typcially happened on one side since I was running an open diff.

trojan

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 11:20:40 AM »
If your breaker bar is two feet long, you weigh 200 pounds and you stand on it, you are applying 400 ft/lbs of torque to the fastener. Jumping up and down could double or triple that...

+1

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2009, 11:25:34 AM »

Thank you.  If I would have made that post, I would have been accused of picking on someone. ;)
This post has been edited due to content.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 11:35:07 AM »
I used to have a buddy that would ALWAYS use a torque wrench on everything he tightened.Didn't matter what it was he'd look it up or use the bolt grade to determine the torque needed. Then he would TURN THE BOLT ANOTHER 1/2 turn!?!?!?!?!?! Real bright boy he was! LOL!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

chrishallett83

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 11:37:52 AM »
Also, at the truck workshop I used to work at, most of the trucks were newer Euro trucks with alloy wheels, which meant 10 stud hubs with wheelnuts that needed to be done up to 800Nm (600ft/lbs)...

After a morning changing wheels on three trucks (that's undoing and then doing up 180 of those fxxken wheelnuts by hand...), I was almost dead, despite our 1000Nm torque wrench being four feet long (great for leverage, but the thing weighed about 20 pounds!).

So I cheated. I made an adapter for my two foot long half inch drive torque wrench - I got a 32 mm six-sided 3/4 drive impact socket and welded a four foot long piece of really stiff thin walled tube we had laying about the workshop to it. Then I measured exactly four feet between centres and welded an half-inch drive impact socket onto the other end of the pipe.

I never measured it, but by the feel of it in my hand, my tool and wrench together weighed about half as much as the big torque wrench, and my work effort was reduced too. Also, it made it easy for me to make terrible jokes about having a six foot long tool. Then of course my mates called me a six foot long tool...

chrishallett83

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2009, 11:39:29 AM »
Thank you.  If I would have made that post, I would have been accused of picking on someone. ;)

Everybody makes simple mistakes sometimes - on a bad day at work, I was trying to tighten left hand thread wheelnuts right handed...

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »

True but your never putting a full 200 on the bar.  You always have to be hanging onto somthing to balance ones self.  So you lose about 100 lb's. :o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal