Author Topic: Now what?  (Read 6146 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Now what?
« on: August 01, 2009, 05:42:08 PM »
OK, So last trip out, the rear hub let loose.  I thought it was the transmission, but the more i hope about it - it may be the hub spinning. 

So, took it apart today and aside from the nut being slightly stripped, it looks like the key ways are in good shape.  This occurred on the left hand side, the right is tight, etc.  There was a lot of play in it from side to side....

Weird huh?  I really don't think this was a case of just being loose?  Could it be? 

So, what is the next step?  As i have no frame of reference, does it seem like the splines on the hub should be longer to allow more surface area of contact?  if so, do i buy two new hubs, and away I go with new brakes, bearings, etc?   

Pictures attached as i am tired of the words today....

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SPEC

Re: Now what?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 05:46:10 PM »
Have you pulled the other side?
I don't know shit about those hubs bit it doesn't look like much splining in the hub for the amount of splines on the shaft

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 05:48:27 PM »
Thats what i thought - i mean really now - 200+ going through that narrow splines? that is only about 1/4 wide on the hub.  I am looking around online for options. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »
Thats what i thought - i mean really now - 200+ going through that narrow splines? that is only about 1/4 wide on the hub.  I am looking around online for options.

Looks to me like some one has taken a bus hub and turned the center potion down to fit the type three stub axle.  The bus hub is a bunch thicker at the center then a type three.  Any stock VW hub should have about two to two and one half inchences of spline in them.  The brake calipers are type three from the stationwagon VW. Them hubs look like they came off of and early gear reduction box VW bus gear box.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 06:16:06 PM »
  Now I see it.  Some one has taken a bus hub and turned it down and put in on backwards.  Then on the outside of the installed backwards hub they have taken a second hub and turned off the hat and used it for a spacer.  All this so the type three brake caliper would work. when they turned the inside hub around backwards they had to machine off the stub portion of the hub with the splines in it so they could get the nut on.  Yep that's it.  Sounds like a mouth full but that's it.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 06:19:31 PM »
    The four spokes you see on the front of the hub should in all reality be on the inside of the stock VW hub.  Not on the out side showing.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 09:52:22 PM »
are you sure the hub was even engaging the splines on the stub?  In your pic the splines on the hub are on the outside.  If the hub got loose, it could have slid off the splines.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 10:04:30 PM »
I may be missing something here but it looks to me like the axle sheared the splines out from the hub.

Unless someone rough machined all the splines out?
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 10:11:38 PM »
should i pull the other side and see what it looks like to get a better idea of what is going on?

SPEC

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 10:12:55 PM »
I would ;D

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 10:15:41 PM »
I agree too and I bet its (the hub) got splines the entire length of the axle.

I bet you got a tough axle (good heat treat) and likely a poor heat treat hub. Still its the easier weak link to change. But unless the rails a tank (I know its not) the hub should have held one would think. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 10:36:29 PM »
wowsers - the right side is what i would expect to see - splnes all the way through - how weird is that?   what would cause the left to fail like that?

The axle with the nut is detail of the left axle - it looks like the threads need to be cleaned and then it is good?   
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:38:04 PM by Yummi »

SPEC

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 10:40:18 PM »
How sloppy was the good side when the nut was backed off? The splines on the hub look worn to me.
Better let Fast take this one...It sounds like he has a clue unlike me ;D

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 10:41:42 PM »
I bet you got a tough axle (good heat treat) and likely a poor heat treat hub. Still its the easier weak link to change. But unless the rails a tank (I know its not) the hub should have held one would think.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 10:42:51 PM »
well, it looks like i am in one hub, might as well be two - all i can find online so far is a hub with a brake kit - but that seems silly - must be a jammar hub or other than has not brake kit....  i would guess if i do one, i would replace both? 

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AC598501&Store_Code=PC&search=hub&offset=0&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:54:03 PM by Yummi »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal