Author Topic: Tubing Size for Cuda  (Read 2957 times)

dodgewade

Tubing Size for Cuda
« on: July 16, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
I have a 1000 Ninja that I plan on using to power my Cuda. Recently scored about 120' of 1.5 .120 DOM tubing. Would this be to heavy for the main frame and roll bar? Do all the others with 1" and or 3/4". Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Have A Big Time,

Wade

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Tubing Size for Cuda
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:28:23 PM »
it wouldn't be too heavy as such but it might certainly LOOK that way.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 09:25:41 PM »
The 1.5" will look good and give it a robust apearance. IMO its too heavy of a wall but if it was the right price and your not worried about weight... use it. I use 1.25" DOM .095 wall although I just scored some .105 wall at a cheaper price so I went with that. I use 1", .875, and .75 for the bracing.

Good luck with the build!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 06:05:25 AM »
And THAT from the cuda master!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 03:46:18 PM »
And THAT from the cuda master!

Ahh yes... Thanks for that. Im still just a Master. Still working on GOD but that position has already been filled I hear  :P   8)  ;D

dodgewade

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 09:19:57 PM »
It was cheap enough for sure. I figured it weight more, just didn't want it to be a tank.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 09:47:20 PM »
It may look like a tank but I think youll be OK especially with that powerplant. You will be happy.

With the need to save $$$ these days.. Go for it. Just dont cheapen up on what makes it perform well and makes it reliable (rod ends, bearings, axles, brakes, shocks, etc.)

Jet

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 01:11:26 AM »
My cuda is built from 1.5" Tubing. Looks good i've been told.

artie on edge

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 01:50:36 AM »
oh it just gets me a gigglin.....  ;D

dodgewade

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 03:15:22 AM »
Thanks Doug, you right about the $$$'s I;m just gathering up "stuff" and have spent a lot without getting started. I would like to build a belt grinder before starting to notch tubing with, but may just buy a notcher.

Even though I have way less $$$'s tied up in items and always looking for a bargin, I plan not to cut corners. Hey, who's butt are we talking about here anyway. It very important to me to have a susscessful build that is safe without giving up the ride.

I have been reading a lot about building a buggy and really believe it is better to get edcated as in finding out eveything you can about something before starting. Try not to make all the common/typical mistakes.

As most everyone one of you probably have, I to have searched the net over for certain thing. I started planing on a buggy about a 1.5 years ago. May get started late fall or at least by winter. Having shoulder surgery(yep the old torn rotator cuff) Tuesday, be out of commissiom a few weeks, but will return.

Whatsize rod end should I use?
Plan to use brakes from front of the bike, any comments?
Seat-Where and how do you measure for one?
Since I'm a big old boy, I have tought about widening the main roll bar and maybe add a little height to accomendate my back side. Any thoughts?

Doug, since all my trails I ride on was basically designed around atv's, If I wanted to make mine somewhat narrower I sure the control/A arms would be the item to shorten, any thought on this?

Thanks for your comments.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 09:50:09 AM »

Whatsize rod end should I use?
Plan to use brakes from front of the bike, any comments?
Seat-Where and how do you measure for one?
Since I'm a big old boy, I have tought about widening the main roll bar and maybe add a little height to accomendate my back side. Any thoughts?

Doug, since all my trails I ride on was basically designed around atv's, If I wanted to make mine somewhat narrower I sure the control/A arms would be the item to shorten, any thought on this?

Thanks for your comments.

- Use the sizes in the plans but use quality rod ends

- brakes from the front of a bike will be fine.

- the seats are usually measured by the width. I buy mine from Auto Magazines. When you call to order they will assist you. Hopfully others will pipe up here as Im not sure on this.

- Widening and lengthening the main hoop is no problem and will probably benefit you.

- Shortening the A-arms will limit the travel and change the placment of the shock mounts. If you use FOX Airs you will not need to worry about the bulkyness of coilovers to help with shock clearance. Making a Cuda narrow you will suffer the stability and IMO the look of it. Get yourself some equipment and make the trails wider LOL.

Just my 10 cents!

artie on edge

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 04:15:05 PM »
- Use the sizes in the plans but use quality rod ends

- brakes from the front of a bike will be fine.

- the seats are usually measured by the width. I buy mine from Auto Magazines. When you call to order they will assist you. Hopfully others will pipe up here as Im not sure on this.

- Widening and lengthening the main hoop is no problem and will probably benefit you.

- Shortening the A-arms will limit the travel and change the placment of the shock mounts. If you use FOX Airs you will not need to worry about the bulkyness of coilovers to help with shock clearance. Making a Cuda narrow you will suffer the stability and IMO the look of it. Get yourself some equipment and make the trails wider LOL.

Just my 10 cents!

I have to agree with this.... if the trails wont allow the cuda dimensions then you should select another chassis.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
what year ninja 1000? is it a zx10r or the other 1000cc?
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

dodgewade

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 07:45:43 AM »
I think it is a 1986, XR or ZR 10? Have not looked at this lately.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal