Author Topic: Fuel dumping  (Read 5701 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Fuel dumping
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 06:39:03 AM »
Soooooo,it WAS the needle and seat as mentioned earlier,huh? LOL!!!! We've all been there one time or another.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

455bird

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 11:16:43 PM »
This car is pissing me off. Yesterday I went through the carbs clean everything had it running grate with no fuel dumping over. I went out today turn power on and the fuel starter dumping out of the carb again. It has to be a float but they are plastic and I can see that there is no gas in them. I even put them in a can of gas to see if any of them had a leak. I also installed 2ea fuel filters in line one coming off the tank and one coming off the pump going to the carbs.  This thing is starting to remind me of an old vw I had runs good one day and like crap the next.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 11:43:47 PM »
here's something you can try before having to buy anything.  turn the pump on.  if fuel is running out the carbs, tap on them with something hard but not hard enough to damage them.  if the tapping causes them to stop over flowing then you either have shit in the needle and seats or a float is sticking. that will narrow your search down. to that set of parts. if that stops the overflowing, then check to make sure the floats are moving freely.  also un hook the fuel lines from the carbs and turn the pump on, or just leave the bowls off and turn the pump on so you get full flow through the lines, that will flush out any bits of dirt that may still be in there and causing your problem.  I had to do this several times before I got everything flushed out.  you can use a catch can to pump the fuel into and then filter it before putting back in the buggy if you want.
This post has been edited due to content.

455bird

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 12:48:11 AM »
PCW previously comply with; I think this will time six that I have pulled the carbs off. I tried tapping on it did not stop and drained the bows then turn on the pump still the same. I also installed 2ea filters to keep any crap out. I have even moved floats and needles around to see if I could move the problem to another car and it seem to be the same carb every time. Maybe the needle set is bad in that one carb is bad.

455bird

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 12:51:30 AM »
Boy I read my last post and it sounds like s*%t I had to many people coming my office asking me every thing

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 02:51:41 AM »
float valve from bike bandit $23.15  would be worth a shot.
This post has been edited due to content.

artie on edge

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 03:45:54 AM »
Hi guys, car has carbs, yet you turn the "pump" on. Electric fuel pump onto carbed engine, not unusual but definately in the "gotta be just right" category.

WHAT IS THE FUEL PRESSURE? Sorry about the caps but this is critical. (wasnt yelling..serious!)

Did the engine have an electric fuel pump in its original life (in the bike)? Or was it a gravity feed unit (no pump at all)?

If it was pumped, what was the fuel pressure meant to be?

From memory I dont think the 600 was pumped and a ssuch will really struggle to control any pressure at all. Like Fabr asked earlier, has it ever run ok (not dumped fuel)?

455bird

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 04:39:20 AM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 05:59:52 AM »
The seat is integral to the carb? Non removable?  I would like to know what the  fuel pump pressure is also as suggested above.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 06:09:05 AM »
My Kawa zx600 leaks fuel out too.  Sometimes the taping work, sometimes not.  I have not rebuilt the carbs, but I'm  sure they need it, only cleaned real good.  I used some Yamaha cleaner you mix then pour into empty carbs and let set for 1 hr.  Overnight is max, it will eat out insides if left too long.  Mine do quit leaking after the buggy warms up a bit, so I think mine is the little float needle.  I'm using a fuel pump w/ 2-3 psi.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

455bird

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 06:15:59 AM »

Admin

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 06:19:35 AM »
Not necessarily, just the one seat may be relieving enough pressure to not overflow the others, But i would start by replacing the needle and seat in that specific carb, may very well be the cure...

455bird

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 06:26:06 AM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 07:24:15 AM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 12:32:55 PM »
Is your fuel tank vented? Not by those crappy vented caps but do you have a vent line coming off the tank? Fuel sloshing around in a sealed container will build up pressure.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal