Author Topic: Spindles  (Read 1882 times)

Section 8

Spindles
« on: September 25, 2008, 09:39:01 PM »
Does anyone have any info on generating a set of front spindles?  This will be for a 1400-1600 lb vehicle with front discs.  The geometry is sort of set, its the part that goes between the arm connections and axle that is the problem.  ::)

I am thinking that the best way to go about building a set would be to design them out of plates that intersect, like the egg crates or the old holiday decoration storage boxes where the slots intersect and form a mostly complete structure that will be welded at each intersection line.  I think someone actually build them this way, or described it one.  i certainly didn't think of it.

Section 8

Re: Spindles
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:38:18 AM »
Nobody here has ever built their own spindles?

borris

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 01:09:55 PM »
What you're talking about is having the parts "keyed" to each other so they are self jigging. Having the parts water jet cut will allow very high precision so the parts will fit together snugly.   This allows very high quality welds also.
  The actual design of them will depend on your wheel and hub design.Are you familiar with the term scrub radius? A person will need to know the wheel and hub offsets and the diameter of the tire as measured with weight on the tire.Without that you will not be able to begin the actual design of them.

Section 8

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:16:20 AM »
Yep, alot of other ones too.  Do you want me to write down the specs?  The only things I am uncertain about is how much caster, and ackermen; ackerman can be "changed" later by using bolted on steering arms (also by making the left and right uprights the same, just bolt the arm on the other way), while the caster will be built in later with the A-arms.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal