Author Topic: 930 micro/Dodge wheel bearing  (Read 6821 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
930 micro/Dodge wheel bearing
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
This is from info I got from MBN and it appears to be a good find.

I went with a hub/bearing assembly for a circa 2000 Dodge Intrepid which mates to the EMPI 930 microstubs. I actually received the stubs in the mail today and they fit great (although they didn't come with the nut). The hub/bearing assy ran 44.00 new, which is stellar and I got the microstubs from dealparts were 126.00 a peice.

We just checked our fit yesterday. It is a good press fit, no slop. The length is right on too. So a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern is easily done with a Dodge Intrepid (and family) front wheel hub bearing

You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: 930 micro/Dodge wheel bearing
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:34:42 PM »
Good find!

Do you have the brand and part number of the bearing?  It would be great to post the 3 bolt flange bolt circle mounting diameter etc.

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:07:31 PM »

LiveWire

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 02:49:36 PM »
I see there is a review left there too. I am using a Timken version of the same part.

1.66" from hub face to mount face. Mount is 3 on 116mm. 12x1.5 threads. 3.39" mount pilot hole. Pilot hole will require a chamfer to clear radius on bearing.

They can also be used with F150 CVs and 930 axles for 44 degrees of angle. $250 for 2 Timken bearings and 2 CV kits with boots, clamps, etc. The F-150 Splines bottom in the hub before the cup touches the bearing. The splines do fully engage. I am making up spacers so the side load is not on the splines. Hub face to back of CV would be 6" with spacer installed.

Engineer, you could probably compare that to an actual F150 hub.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:10:31 PM by LiveWire »

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 03:01:02 PM »
What stub axle did you use, Ford one?  That what seemed easy, buy dodge wheel bearing hub(cheap), buy 930 stub axle and they mate up.  I'll look at the F150 stuff again, my memory's getting a little foggy on it.

LiveWire

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 03:08:37 PM »
I used the Timken version of the same one you linked to with a Ford CV. The stub is part of the CV, not a separate part that bolts on.

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 03:55:10 PM »
The Ford one would be a no brainer, but at 2.5 X $$$ its not.  What are you doing for inner, because I understand the Ford inners dont move as much.

LiveWire

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 04:27:54 PM »
2.5X the money? For what you paid just for the microstubs, what I listed is equivilent to the hubs, stubs and CVs.

You said you paid $126 each for the micro stubs, so that is $252. Another $88 for the hubs and you still have to buy CVs, boots and clamps.

You can use a 930 inner and be limited to the angle of that, but also get plunge. You can use a Rockford inner that like the F150 outer has no plunge, but 44 degrees of angle. You can cut the stub off the CV and weld a flange to it to bolt to a carrier like Engineer did.

I am making up some roller plunging axles that will fit the 28 spline (930, F150) CVs. The prototypes are not even done yet let alone tested so they are gonna be a while.

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 07:16:49 PM »
I meant using the Ford F150 wheel hubs at 2.5 $$$ the money of the dodge.  More research to do now............

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 09:35:33 PM »
I meant using the Ford F150 wheel hubs at 2.5 $$$ the money of the dodge.  More research to do now............

Where you save the money is using the EMPI F-150 outer CV.  It will go right in the F-150 (expensive) or dodge (cheap 5 on 4.5") wheel bearing and it is the equivalent of the stub axle and the CV for around $50.  Of course it is non-plunging so you have to make allowance for it on the inside, and do you really want different CV's on the inside and outside etc, etc.

LiveWire

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 09:08:17 AM »

But you don't have to use the Ford hubs, just the Ford CVs.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 11:16:03 AM »
Bunch of hybrid lovers!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 11:24:58 AM »
Bunch of hybrid lovers!

Find me a buggy thats not hybrid. rofl

But you don't have to use the Ford hubs, just the Ford CVs.
I understand that, but when you said you were having to make some spacers I thought why not just just the Ford hubs.  The outcome, to be continued....

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 11:27:43 AM »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

LiveWire

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 12:10:38 PM »
Find me a buggy thats not hybrid. rofl
I understand that, but when you said you were having to make some spacers I thought why not just just the Ford hubs.  The outcome, to be continued....

Now it all makes sense. I thought you were saying the price I listed was 2.5X using the microstubs.

The spacers are not a big deal. I am thinking of getting them laser cut then will face off to final thickness. I can cut splines too so I could extend the splines on the F150 CVs to not require the spacer on the inside. It would then require one on the outside since the stub is longer than the hub. The benefit would be a narrower package allowing longer axles and therefore more travel  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal