Author Topic: IRS idea  (Read 5099 times)

Icky

IRS idea
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:29:38 PM »
So after following lockedup's build thread i got some new inspiration to make some progress in my design. Since i can't build anything not complicated i wanted to see what you guys thought about this idea. I've kinda decided to do an ecotec with a TH-350 with a homemade v-drive type thing that we won't get into. I thought about the toyota straight axle as well, but i'm worried about how it's going to dune, mainly traversing across the top of the dune. I want IRS, but i'm afraid  a mendi 4e is outta my price range as i'm trying to buy a house as well. A bus trans is cheaper, but i'm worried about reliability again. Then there's the RPM with the CVT, which i've heard is pretty reliable, and even if you broke worse you'd have to do is change the belt, but that's to easy. IRS from a car seems to wide for the travel i'd like to  have but I found this, what do ya think, will it hold up, i plan on driving it like i stole it.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: IRS idea
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:52:42 PM »
They already make a rear end just like that with the large flanges right off the housing in a IRS setup. Its not much narrower than the Ford diff I showed in the other thread (if any). But its LOTZ LOTZ more $$$$.  Cooler looking too I guess if you got money to burn.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Icky

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 01:24:43 AM »
the one by xtrac? 247 Heavy Duty Differentialhttp://www.xtrac.com/# I've heard all there stuff is pretty pricey. I pulled the dimensions off Winters website, with only 3 3/4" width on the banjo, it leads me to believe (without having on in front of me) that you could reasonably get your CV centers to about 6" with custom side bells. ;D Maybe with a custom spool, you could...... I'm gonna have to draw it dammit.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 01:27:41 AM by Icky »

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 02:13:39 AM »
how much for that housing?

Admin

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 05:01:11 AM »
BDKW1 has done that exact thing...

Icky

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 05:20:44 AM »
wyatt, i don't know how much the housing is, couldn't find anyone that carried it online. I didn't find that the some of the quick change rearends complete are about 1500. and that those side bells are about 250 each. and I probably another 500 plus for the diff. I'll try to find out tomorrow, or is that today?

bug, you know now that you mention it, i do remember someone doing that, i just couldn't remember who. I think it was on the other site.From my memory though ( which is really good, just short :)) it was a quick change? and he didn't end up using it? I'll have to do some more research unless you care to shed light on this?

Admin

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 07:35:54 AM »
A complete winters rear housing is 2800.00 bux, and thats the low grade version..

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 08:16:47 AM »
Not to rain on the parade, cause I like doing stuff the hard way to....  ::)  But a bus would hold up to an Ecotec very well, and if your starting with a stock Eco, that all new aluminum case 091 would work great.  When you decide to upgrade the motor, you could upgrade the tranny at the same time.

Tranny:

http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=1751.0

Here is the Thread with the quick change by Bdkw1.  This will get me some smite's.  :-\

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/projects-progress/5073-midi-buggy.html

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 10:22:14 AM »
what about a mazda miata rear? the diff housing is basically the pumpkin with flanges. on the 92 or so models. the newer ones have splines..     but the diff is small, and the axles are equal lengths. could just use the diff, axles, uprights and wheel hubs.. make your own arms.  i wanted to do this for myself......
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 01:41:10 PM »
This will get me some smite's.  :-\

Not from Me  ;D

Anyhoo, there are a couple different company's making QC IRS rearends. They are narrower than the 091 depending on the company. The speedway one is about 16" flange to flange. The B&J one is about 9" F2F.

Admin

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 01:43:34 PM »
Subaru... Then you got the axles as well... ;D

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 04:19:07 PM »

Not from Me  ;D

Your log is a half dozen pages down now BD.  I thought about posting something just to bump it......  Or you could post an update!  ;D  I have all the parts gathered, now just need some time to get started with the F-150 bearing/CV rear.  Thanks for the inspiration. ;)

Icky

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 07:41:56 PM »
i did find his build log last night after i wrote that. He started with something else then switched to the QC. But he hasn't up dated it. I read somewhere on RDC that B&J has a QC narrower then 8inchs that someone is testing, i can only imagine how much that is though. I like the bus box, i'm just afraid of backing up with it  :). That Banjo doesn't have the quick change on it, so i'm hoping it will be a tad cheaper.

Icky

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 11:36:44 PM »
Nutz what kinda ford was that rearend out of? what's the flange centers on those?

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 12:00:12 AM »
He started with something else then switched to the QC.

They were both QC diffs, the first one was a speedway 7" IRS unit. The problem with it other than getting parts out of them was that the ring gear is a hypoid gear not a spiral bevel gear meaning it couldn't be flipped to change rotation. I also couldn't flip the housing like MasterFaber did due to the output shaft location on the motor. The second unit is from Winters. They don't actually make an IRS diff so I had to machine a few things....... At this point years down the road, I wish I had spent the coin and bought the Elite unit with the Torque Biasing Diff.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal