Author Topic: Re: Lathe  (Read 4618 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Re: Lathe
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 06:46:31 AM »
AS with any machine tool it all depends on the machines adjustment,keepint the feeds/speeds within the machines' capacity and your skill at setup. I'm sure that for most tasks it will be fine.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
Re: Lathe
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 06:49:26 AM »
Yeah they delivered it yesterday, man what a stuff up! I spoke to the guy on the phone and he asked me two or three times if I had a pallet jack and I answered NO, he asked what I did have, and I said an engine crane! But that'll be hard getting it off with that, I said I'll try and organize a crane truck, he said OK I'll call you back. Next thing I call from the truck driver asking for directions, about an hour and a half later! What a pain in the arse it was. The truck driver was a little Indian fella the poor little curry muncher wasn't very strong, but very helpfull! It wasn't his fault! I only had one sling, that I could find! So I used that and some nylon rope, doubled over. We picked it up and got it over to the side of the truck and I started lowering it, and I didn't like the look of it, I was just about to say that's no good let's take it back up and fix it then snap down it  came right on to the legs of the crane! ::) As far as I can see there is no damage, thank christ they had it on soft pine timber and the legs absorbed the impact too! 
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 12:44:36 PM »
Priceless!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 02:29:15 PM »
Reidy, how did you do all this with your shaggers back???

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 02:42:51 PM »
I wish you Ozzies would speak English! I don't have a clue what you say 1/2 the time.  ;) 8)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 05:58:51 AM »
Artie I did it tough I can tell ya! ::) By the end of the day I was fxxked, my foot was killing me, thanks to the nerve nuroma in my foot, my back well let's just say I'd have been thankfull for a bullet at that stage, and the poor little curry well I think he thought he was luky to escape with his life! :o Ah I shouldn't say that the poor bugger was a bit worried, cause as you can imagine I was pissed!!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 03:30:07 AM by Reidy02 »

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 06:05:08 AM »
Man that lathe's a pisser, all the levers and switches, different speeds and feeds. I had a bit of a play today, turned down a bit of 6061 bar man beautiful, but those images keep popping into my head, I have a new found respect for those machines now :o

artie on edge

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
Glad its up to scratch mate.

Accidents dint have to be that dramatic either. I did a write up a few months ago on the Edge forum about eye safety as I had a lucky escape while wearing safety glasses on my lathe.

Big Hint. Take the fookin baseball cap off when using the lathe! (or turn it backwards)

I had mine on, admittedly the glasses where pushed down a tad so I could tilt my head and see over them when reading the calpiers due to coolant splash.

Swarf hit under the peak ratled back over the edge of the glasses and sizzled into my tear duct, could have been the retina. Bloody lucky, bloody sore BOTH eyes black (no idea why, it didn't hit hard).

Be careful mate and you will have a ball with it..

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 05:20:50 AM »
Yeah Thanks Artie, mate funny you should say something about safety glasses, just this afternoon I got the whipper snipper out for the Missues and started it for her, cause of the "shaggers back" and my daughter said something I turned to look at her and the missues had walked over behind her and started snipping, and a bit of grass flew up and hit me right in the corner of the eye, shit it hurt, cause I didn't get a chance to shut my eye. That's it I'll be on compo now for six years now! ::) :P

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »
I just bought one of these used in perfect condition from a neighbor with some tooling for $150. Thing works good for what im doing. Hell I got more than $150 worth of end mills and bits, all never used. Hate buying that china crap but a deal is a deal and it looks decent. I think he got tired of me going over to use it, im the only one that ever uses it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5980
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 12:59:34 AM »
That looks OK, ya gotta be happy with that!!

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 09:14:33 AM »
Worst case im out $150 but it has met all my needs so far.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

magnum4598

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 03:44:39 PM »
here is one for ya
i was using my laith several days ago and a metal protractor fell into the chuck it wasnt turning fast it flung it right into my upper lip it was rsting on top where the green felt croet for your mic's is the laith was vibrating some with the cut i was making ouch scared me a little lol

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 02:33:34 AM »
Yeah funny that, when ya using the lathe and ya concentrating then that image pops into ya head and ya wondering when something like that's gonna happen to you then ya hear a loud bang and for a split second or two ya wonder has something just happened to me? I can't feel any pain, ya heart's pounding, ya look around and see something you just stood up b4 you started has fallen, and ya think to ya self well it wasn't that time,but will it happen next time? ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal