Author Topic: welder  (Read 18307 times)

southernford246

welder
« on: January 05, 2009, 09:36:56 PM »
what is better gas or gasless welders?

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: welder
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »
are you familiar with Google.com?  Each has it's purpose.
This post has been edited due to content.

southernford246

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:14:55 PM »
i found some for gasless but not for gas

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 10:32:10 PM »
search for GMAW and FCAW.  You should be able to answer your own question.

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:04:31 AM »
I have both. I use the gasless in my 110v miller for traveling to the dunes. It works real nice not have to carry the cylinders but you have the dam clean up around the weld. At home I use Gas on my 220v miller. I love not having to do clean up around the welds. Gasless is more forgiving to windy conditions. Gas blows away real easy from the gun where gasless releases the shielding gas down at the weld. Gas less should in theory give you a multiple spark point for a little more penetration. I have seen this on my 110 machine. I could get more heat in with the flux wire than with solid and gas. Never tired on my 220 machine nor will I.

Machines are Miller cricket 110v (old as dirt), Miller 212 2008.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

southernford246

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 10:10:44 PM »
with the gasless is the weld strength the same ?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 03:42:19 AM »
It's not gasless....It's flux core.  Did you try Google?

southernford246

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 08:10:51 AM »
i know its not gasless but every time i see it in an ad it says gasless

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 08:40:07 AM »
Then I would avoid those ads and the business that placed them.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 12:36:52 PM »
Damn Boostinjdm, easy on the kid. The forum is for asking questions that we dont know! Flux core welders (gasless) are nice if you use them in the wind and for just little projects. But they are very messy. That flux needs to be cleaned off your weld after you arer done or it looks like crap. The thing I hate the most is the amount of wire you get with flux cored wire. What I mean is .030 flux wire gives you the same volume of steel as .015 hard wire (run in a gas machine). So you can weld much faster with a machine run with a gas cover. I have a flux machine in my trailer as a emergency machine of if I just need to go to someones house to weld something up real quick, and a machine with a gas cover for the shop cause its faster and cleaner. Also keep in mind that it cost more to use a machine with a gas cover cause you need to buy gas and wire, not just wire. Hope this helps and dont be affraid to ask questions thats what SOME of us are here for.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

SPEC

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 03:58:58 PM »
Let's just do a quick rundown on welder's
In my humble opinion welder's come in 3 varieties...
JUnk
intermittant use
It's a welder

Junk...99% of 110 machines...I have owned...Hobart ,miller, and lincoln..all were okay for welding on tin...and on the race car at the track, in a pinch
Intermittant...Small 220 machines like the hobart handler, miller 175 series, I forget the lincoln of that class...alright for weekender stuff but usually have a low duty cycle...So they overheat when you want to weld for along time...
Now that's a welder...lincoln 251,any of the 2 series millers...I really don't like the hobarts...but now miller and Hobart come off the same line ::)

Gasless wire...junk...for welding on junk/rusty junk, out side
FLUX CORE... otherwise known as DT 7100 needs gas, is finiky to gas mix and velocity
Hard wire ...Needs gas an comes in several different grades -3 all the way to -9...
After nearly 30 years of welding and experomenting with alot of machines...I'll tell you go right for the smaller 220 machine...You will be glad in the end you did,Don't waste any time looking at the 110 gasless crap go right to the mig 220's your welds will look and be better and it will make learning not so frustrating

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
I purchased my 212 early in 2008 and had considered a Hobart. I have the benefit that my uncle is a Miller dealer. The Hobart machines have a lot more plastic in them in wear areas like the the gears inside (I did not say drive rollers). It was worth the step up to me for the metal stuff in the miller to me. I must mention that a friend of mine has a Hobart that he uses the crap out of and it has treated him well i.e. no break downs. It is a 185 I believe. I believe you should buy the best machine you can. My uncle has been using his miller 200 for over 25 years in the welding shop. When they do have a problem you can get parts unlike the el-cheapos. All brands have consumable parts, you need get consider your local support or be prepared to wait for the shipping process should you need parts. Tips, liners, drive rollers....
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Admin

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 05:09:22 PM »
Damn Boostinjdm, easy on the kid. The forum is for asking questions that we dont know! Flux core welders (gasless) are nice if you use them in the wind and for just little projects. But they are very messy. That flux needs to be cleaned off your weld after you arer done or it looks like crap. The thing I hate the most is the amount of wire you get with flux cored wire. What I mean is .030 flux wire gives you the same volume of steel as .015 hard wire (run in a gas machine). So you can weld much faster with a machine run with a gas cover. I have a flux machine in my trailer as a emergency machine of if I just need to go to someones house to weld something up real quick, and a machine with a gas cover for the shop cause its faster and cleaner. Also keep in mind that it cost more to use a machine with a gas cover cause you need to buy gas and wire, not just wire. Hope this helps and dont be affraid to ask questions thats what SOME of us are here for.

Well said Punkur!!! Well said...

SPEC

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 05:42:42 PM »
Must be a slow night 8)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 05:43:17 PM »
BCS?
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal