Author Topic: Miller 211 mig?  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Miller 211 mig?
« on: November 20, 2015, 04:33:52 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Millermatic-211-MIG-Welder-with-Advanced-Auto-Set-907614-/371490196525?hash=item567e8a8c2d:g:3YoAAOSwd0BV132l

Working out of state and went to stop at a Fastenall and saw this Airgas shop so I stopped in. Been thinking about a new welder as I really need one and making the money now to get one soooooooooo.

Was thinking I wanted a Miller 250 or 251 Mig. But in the store he had a Miller 211 duel voltage that looks prettty dam good and I can get it a lot cheaper than the link above.

Anyone have any time with one of these 211's? Thinking of thinning out the wallet. Getting the welder, the stand, the aluminum gun, and a new four sensor helmet.   Thanks Bill
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
Re: Miller 211 mig?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 03:37:51 AM »
I've done some research on the 211 and it's all been good. I'm looking to buy one as well. What kind of price have you found and is that price only available to do?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:47:46 AM »
buy it.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 04:42:41 PM »
have one of these at work and it has been a great little unit for sheet metal as well as .120 wall tube and aluminum boat hulls with the spool gun.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 02:18:53 PM »
I've done some research on the 211 and it's all been good. I'm looking to buy one as well. What kind of price have you found and is that price only available to do?

The price ought to be for anyone. Miller is offering a rebate right now till Dec. 25th. Its 200 on the welder and if you spend a certain amount more it goes to 400 bucks.

The Welder is 1,159.00
Millers Stand is $180.00
The "other stand is $80.00
The Spoolmate aluminum gun is 252.94
The welder custom Miller cover is 54.29

You only need one stand of course and ironically the $80 dollar stand is a lot nicer and sturdier than the $180 miller one. The cheaper stand uses two bolts per joint where the miller uses one and the guys at the store tell me the miller will get kinda rackety real quick as they have seen it more than once. The miller stand is also a fair bit shorter.

Buying the Welder and the Aluminum gun and the cover qualifies for the larger rebate of $400.00 VS the $200.00 for the welder alone. (You gotta be over like $1300 and some odd change to get the $400 rebate. $1389.00 I think it was) The cheaper stand is NOT Miller and does not add up to the $1389.00 but the welder and cover and aluminum gun make it.

The total I am looking at for the welder and the $80.00 stand and the cover and the Aluminum gun is $1546.23 out the door and then a $400.00 rebate for a total of  $1146.23.

I already have a tank of gas for migging. I do not have a tank for gas for aluminum yet. No big deal right away on that.

Thinking its gonna be mine before I Split this Popsicle stand (In Glasgow Kentucky right now on a job site.)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:46:41 PM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 01:44:04 PM »
Any one here even use a spool gun to weld aluminum? Looking into if its worth getting or pass on the gun and just keep shopping for a tig to compliment this welder later?

Some seem to think this will not do aluminum well.  Thoughts? Imma keep looking into it.

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 03:02:03 PM »
if your shooting for tight beads and/or looks like a tig then get a tig but structural with a learning curve then spool gun.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 08:56:40 PM »
my miller passport mig came with the spoolgun.  never even had it out of the package.ditto on what ds said.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 09:33:06 AM »
my miller passport mig came with the spoolgun.  never even had it out of the package.ditto on what ds said.

you should try it fabbr they are a handy tool and enemy has learned to use his very well imo better than i have leaned to use the one at the shop lol lol however i have seen him use an aluminum cleaner that does make a huge diff on the weld and penatration but one thing i have found is that it is almost ass backwards from mig welding steel as in how far away you hold the gun.

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 10:00:38 AM »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 04:32:10 PM »
Gotta get the house done first. I've just not had a need for it yet. Nice vids!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 08:05:19 AM »
1 thing i have never tried it is the acid cleaner. i have only personally used it on boat hulls. the skin of the hull is actually thinner than recommended but it does work however the amount of corrosion in the aluminum is very hard to get cleaned up. usually its holes or cuts from rocks or tree stumps or by the drain hole from guys that forget they have roller trailers and un hook the winch before they back down the boat ramp lol   so when possible i weld inside and out and finish the outside and paint it. most 98% of ins will total a boat for one cut or deep crease because of the way there made so on the bottoms i use a coating of glove it around all the rivets and seams in that area and the weld. never had a complaint  so it must get the job done lol

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 08:13:48 AM »
Honestly,I've never had any luck with the acid cleaners. By no means am I an aluminum welding expert but cleaning the area with scotchbrite or sandpaper removes oxidation better,IMO. 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

millbilly

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 12:21:33 AM »
Spool gun works good, light, easy to move.

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 09:13:28 PM »
I have a Miller 212 with the spool gun. I haven't used it for a project, just played with it. Its a different dog doing aluminum. Think minimum recommended thickness is 14 gauge.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal