Author Topic: welding technique/ tips  (Read 13149 times)

tone

Re: welding technique/ tips
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2009, 04:53:42 AM »
hi

the laid down row of nickels look is the best looking

but the most structurally sound weld is a near flat weld with no more than 10% reinforcement that is
dead smooth

cheers

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2009, 09:04:46 AM »
I agree.It seems like everyone WANTS the stack of dimes look but IMO anyone with a pair of eyes should be able to tell that has to be a weaker weld.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Jet

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2009, 11:03:38 AM »
Try cracking one of those weld's open and have a look at the strength where it counts.

on strength and in this industry, strength and reliability over-shadows purdyness any day.
I designed these quick hitch's up a couple of years ago and they were perfect, not a problem in the world, i even built JIGS for it, so the monkeys couldn't make as many excuses and mistakes. but the welds were good. and i Never had one come back broken.
About a year back when we had a mr bling monkey laying the welds at work, he just didn't grasp the concept on penetration.
with in a couple months 3 hitch's had come back and it was getting expensive and shameful on my behalf. i went though the design nothing wrong. so i got mr bling monkey to weld one up on the spot, but only single sided on all joints. after letting it cool over night the next day put it in the press and ripped it apart, penetration was around 25% of the thickness. When he said thats how welding should be he got the boot and i've been running the welds myself ever since.
anyhow, what i come to mean is its not easy to get good penetration on a weld and keep perfect little beads, and i would much prefer a not as neat weld which is solid than a hot looking seam. you might of noticed it on all of my welding i've done on my Race buggy.

Anyway, its 2am and im thinking about buggys, darm this buggy bug bites deep.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal