Author Topic: Upgrades to the 97 Powerstroke  (Read 11114 times)

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Upgrades to the 97 Powerstroke
« on: May 13, 2014, 09:42:34 AM »
A quarter mil on the odometer and its time to do some inspection and upgrades.. Very lucky to have dug into it when I did for many little things could have easily left me stranded if not addressed soon. For starters, lately been noticing boost dropping off. Ok, so the HPOP is tired, the turbo needs rebuilt, the IPR valve is cooked, and the shitty stock fuel system is having a hard time keeping up with the Stage 1 injectors. Cant get mad about it, Im the second owner and its made it this far right?

First pull the fuel bowl and really get an idea how exactly this conglomerate of shit works.
Pretty, isnt it? 

This is the water separator, fuel heater, fuel filter, fuel reservoir, and pressure regulator all in one..A two stage mechanical pump sits below it riding on a cam lobe that uses the low side to first lift the fuel from the tank for conditioning and filling the reservoir, then the high side to pressurize the rails to between 35 and 70 psi. (If you can read the gauge) Notorious for leaking diesel into the oil pan and barely keeping up with stock configurations. Mine was doing both.

My fix is an E-fuel update like the newer Superduty's with an electric pump and filtration/conditioning system on the frame rail back by the tanks. FuelLab Prodigy brushless pump feeding the rails with an Aeromotive regulator keeping the fuel pressure at a constant 65psi. Starts and idling are vastly improved!

Next, onto pulling the turbo.. What a friggin nightmare.. The pedestal has a Electronic Backpressure Valve reservoir built into it to activate a flapper in the downpipe flange. Usually activates for speeding up warmup on cold start.. and cycling while going down the road at operating temps to really piss off the driver and sound like someone shoved a bunch of bananas in the tailpipe. Some guys like to put them on a switch to work like an engine brake, I choose to delete it  to lower EGTs, gain some flow, and put all the oil in that pedestal where it belongs.. In the turbo! As a bonus, what was a nightmare to pull out was simple to put back in with it out of the way!

While it was out, I also found this..

DS did some searching and it has all the signs of being over spun and about to let go of a vain, another thing the stock setup is known for doing when one starts adding hot tunes to them and going past 30psi. Whod a thunk it. Strange things happening when tip speeds break the sound barrier?? Interesting...
Good thing I have options!
66 mm compressor conversion..

My buddy has been getting into ceramic coating so while it was out...  ;D

Upgraded the intake plenums to the newer 3" style in preparation for intercooling down the road when the truck get a restoration. No more blowing through a straw!

And the finished product! Not shown is the Adrenaline high pressure oil pump upgrade for greater volume of oil to the bigger injectors, absolutely needed if I go any further with HP in the future.
Now just gotta see if It will last to OK and back! :)

"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: Upgrades to the 97 Powerstroke
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 12:06:37 PM »
I'm thinking burnouts and wheel stands after a few  :swig: :swig:  Those two rear pedestal bolts are a real #$%$%  %^$%  %^# pain.  Really wish I had girl hands when pulling them.  Cant wait to see the scares on your knuckles, and the mods under the hood!.  Ceramic looks sweet!!!
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 02:48:06 PM »
I as looking at doing similar upgrades to My 97. Sold it instead and bought a lower mile 00 that had all ready been upgraded. Much easier............

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 06:32:54 PM »
I want to see that ceramic coat after you get to LS. If it holds up to the turbo I would consider it for the desert car headers. I have the headers on the dragster jet hot coated over 12 years ago and after 6 seasons on them still looked like new.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 05:39:46 AM »
I did head studs on my 6.0 a couple years back. Worst project I have ever done and I have done several ground up builds of cars and motors. Took 10 or so total days doing it nights after work and long weekends. Had to fab a couple tools cause I refused to believe that it was "impossible" without pulling the cab off. Everything looks great!
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 11:26:26 AM »
I want to see that ceramic coat after you get to LS. If it holds up to the turbo I would consider it for the desert car headers. I have the headers on the dragster jet hot coated over 12 years ago and after 6 seasons on them still looked like new.

He is using Tech Line Coatings, still in the learning curve and may have to adjust process, but he's getting there. The Turbo and EBV are sprayed with cerma-chrome, good to 1400 I believe, so I'm hoping it will hold up. Nothing like being a guinea pig! He does have CBC2 as well that is for coating pistons, good to 5000*
The last set of headers I had done from a local shop lasted a year in the F150 before they turned to looking like shit.

I did head studs on my 6.0 a couple years back. Worst project I have ever done and I have done several ground up builds of cars and motors. Took 10 or so total days doing it nights after work and long weekends. Had to fab a couple tools cause I refused to believe that it was "impossible" without pulling the cab off. Everything looks great!
Thanks Punkur! I was up at a local diesel shop and they had the cab off doing head gaskets and studs on a 6.0 and said the same thing, I thought I read an article in Diesel Power where they said cab on or off, it can be done in about the same time. I need to stud this motor down the road, hope I aint pulling a cab either! Not a lot of fun..
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 11:30:39 AM »
I'm thinking burnouts and wheel stands after a few  :swig: :swig:  Those two rear pedestal bolts are a real #$%$%  %^$%  %^# pain.  Really wish I had girl hands when pulling them.  Cant wait to see the scares on your knuckles, and the mods under the hood!.  Ceramic looks sweet!!!

Thanks Carl! Yea, the rear bolts kept me awake one eve wondering how the hell to get them out..Watched a couple vids where a guy said "they were simple to get to! Let me show ya in this truck with the transmission pulled!" Um, no... lol..
 Scars are healing nicely  ;D

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 03:20:22 PM »
i saw this build in person last night....damn nice job enemy!!!!!!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:53:05 PM »
Thanks man!
Learned a whole bunch about this injection system test driving with you and the scanner watching all the data!  Also talked with the manufacturer today at DieselSite. VERY good info!! Also some great detail of the system here -> http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/1304dp_heui_how_high_pressure_oil_injection_systems_work/
 I do have to get the chip reflashed to use the extra volume of oil the Adrenaline puts out, The current program is only calling up 2800 psi and using 35% to obtain it! Target is 3200 sooo it is down on power but I think it has some potential to run pretty strong. No worries if I go bigger injectors down the road either. Bigger compressor housing and wheel changed everything. Lower psi but moving more air, so I may not be able to get it to max out anyway till I hook up the trailer behind it?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 05:37:11 AM »
Thanks man!
Learned a whole bunch about this injection system test driving with you and the scanner watching all the data!  Also talked with the manufacturer today at DieselSite. VERY good info!! Also some great detail of the system here -> http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/1304dp_heui_how_high_pressure_oil_injection_systems_work/
 I do have to get the chip reflashed to use the extra volume of oil the Adrenaline puts out, The current program is only calling up 2800 psi and using 35% to obtain it! Target is 3200 sooo it is down on power but I think it has some potential to run pretty strong. No worries if I go bigger injectors down the road either. Bigger compressor housing and wheel changed everything. Lower psi but moving more air, so I may not be able to get it to max out anyway till I hook up the trailer behind it?
That would be my thought.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 05:46:19 AM »
I have a hard time "testing" too.  Found one longer hill that I got run up.  But you'd hit 70 quick and "testing" is not a valid excuse to  :police: :police:.  But hearing that boost swirl out window is fun!!  Be easy on that torque convertor.  nono
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 08:37:47 AM »
Be easy on that torque convertor.  nono

Mine did not like towing the 12K gooseneck. Trans would go into default mode on long hills even with an extra large cooler. New truck has a 6 speed in it. No more trans worries.......

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 09:14:40 AM »
Mine did not like towing the 12K gooseneck. Trans would go into default mode on long hills even with an extra large cooler. New truck has a 6 speed in it. No more trans worries.......

i know what your saying there!!!!!!!!  my 95 psd was the first automatic trans truck i have ever owned. i wanted my hand shaker back. i have a 99 psd with a 6 speed myself and a good 475 hp clutch with solid flywheel to go with it.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 10:04:36 AM »
eff the clutch pedal. Allison all the way!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 02:32:29 PM »
eff the clutch pedal. Allison all the way!
on the open road it's clutch for me, in town they suck! but i bought the truck just to pull the toyhauler so i'm good there lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal