Author Topic: trailing arm and 3-link question  (Read 1820 times)

tenaja

trailing arm and 3-link question
« on: February 06, 2009, 07:32:10 AM »
So a frequent "complaint" about trailing arms and 3-links is they begin to move forward as the suspension gets to about half way.

So why not just mount the forward frame mounts higher up??? Obviously, you'll have to take plunge into account, but that would eliminate the "forward motion" complaint.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: trailing arm and 3-link question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 09:12:13 AM »
So a frequent "complaint" about trailing arms and 3-links is they begin to move forward as the suspension gets to about half way.

So why not just mount the forward frame mounts higher up??? Obviously, you'll have to take plunge into account, but that would eliminate the "forward motion" complaint.

How much travel are we talking about?  If it is very long travel and you moved the mount high enough to keep it from going above centerline, then it will be very ugly on droop becase the wheel will move very far forward.  Again it depends on the length of the trailing arm, and the amount of travel.  If you draw it up, I am sure you will see the problem.  If the trailing arm is at to sever of a down angle then when power is applied, it will try to lift the rear of the car.

I personally don't see a problem with the forward travel of the wheel at full compression.  Anytime you are using that part of the travel the car is in motion, and the forward travel only results in a slight accel of the wheel.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: trailing arm and 3-link question
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 11:14:36 AM »
How much travel are we talking about?  If it is very long travel and you moved the mount high enough to keep it from going above centerline, then it will be very ugly on droop becase the wheel will move very far forward.  Again it depends on the length of the trailing arm, and the amount of travel.  If you draw it up, I am sure you will see the problem.  If the trailing arm is at to sever of a down angle then when power is applied, it will try to lift the rear of the car.

I personally don't see a problem with the forward travel of the wheel at full compression.  Anytime you are using that part of the travel the car is in motion, and the forward travel only results in a slight accel of the wheel.
I agree completely. Nice explanation!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal