Author Topic: new doubles  (Read 11790 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
Re: new doubles
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 01:20:47 PM »
im gonna put them on my buggy the same way they were on the quad..  im not gonna have much travel in the rear so i dont need much in the front.. no more than a quad since thats the terrain ill be on.(same as where i drive the 4-wheelers)  its just stupid how people tell me to find a quad front end, i do, then im told by others it wont work... lol..  no offense intended anywhere..

is anyone using an 8.5 inch rack and pinion? or is that kinda small?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:25:43 PM by Voodoochikin04 »
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 02:39:27 PM »
I'd stay with the frog or whatever you call it steer if using the quad arms and spindles . Remember that the stuff was designed for that.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 02:40:42 PM »
You understand the short travel and for your purpose it'll be fine.It's when you want to use those and get LONG travel that things get ugly quick.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 05:48:56 PM »
Fabber, a frog will be tuff being the frame is so wide, quad a arm bushing are usually just a few inches apart... You could do it but im thinking you will need two pivots, Renegaded could tell ya how...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 07:36:15 PM »
Yeah you're right.I forgot his frame is wider. :-[ :-[
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 07:39:45 PM »
im gonna put them on my buggy the same way they were on the quad..  im not gonna have much travel in the rear so i dont need much in the front.. no more than a quad since thats the terrain ill be on.(same as where i drive the 4-wheelers)  its just stupid how people tell me to find a quad front end, i do, then im told by others it wont work... lol..  no offense intended anywhere..

is anyone using an 8.5 inch rack and pinion? or is that kinda small?
I THINK I have one of them still on the shelf.If so I'll sell it to you cheap.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 02:06:54 PM »
so i got my new front end tacked on. it has a 10 degree rake or whatever you call it. i made tabs and tacked the arms on too. my question is. are you supposed to have the hub at 90 degrees?  the way it sits, when i put an angle finder on the hub surface it is at 92 when the suspension is hanging down at max. and it comes to 88 when the suspension is compressed all the way.  am i doing this right?

contemplating if i should scrap the arms, make my own and just use the spindle, like carl did on his buggy.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 04:08:39 PM »
so i got my new front end tacked on. it has a 10 degree rake or whatever you call it. i made tabs and tacked the arms on too. my question is. are you supposed to have the hub at 90 degrees?  the way it sits, when i put an angle finder on the hub surface it is at 92 when the suspension is hanging down at max. and it comes to 88 when the suspension is compressed all the way.  am i doing this right?

Rake is when the front of the A-arm is higher than the rear, causing the spindle to move rearward as it moves upward.  This is looking from the side of the buggy.

I believe you are talking about camber with the angle finder.  This is when the top of the tire moves in or out as the suspension goes up and down.  Now we are looking from the front of the buggy.  It should be close to 90degrees at ride heigth.  The top of the tire should move in toward the center of the buggy as you move closer to full compression.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 04:12:18 AM »
yea i built my new front frame with 10 degrees of rake...just wasnt sure if i was using the term correctly..  and i know what camber is. but just wasnt sure how to word everything properly..  thanks

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 06:03:41 AM »
I can take some close up pics of front end if you like.  I have about 8 degrees of rake, about 90 camber at ride height about 85 at bump.  center of my frame between a-arm is 8".  Have a 10" wide rack which puts the rack pivets in alignment with the a-arm pivets.  Getting 14" of wheel travel and its limited by the ball joint on the AVT hub units.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2009, 12:09:30 PM »
yea but i was hoping to keep tha atv arms and whatnot.. i didnt wanna have to make my own arms. but im really not liking how its looking. my whole intent was to just bolt these up and go..  im tired of messing around with the same stuff..lol.

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2009, 12:20:05 PM »
I know what you mean, pulled the motor back out of mine last Thur, back in 1hr later, back out to weld new mounts, then back in.  No help no lift, cant figure out why my back hurt all weekend.  Probable the 10-15 time I've taken in/out motor.

Mount the arm, work out the steering, drive the dang thing, then fix some of the crap thats not working out right, then drive some more.

Hoping to drive some more Sat, NW GA 65 degrees and sunny. 8)  Today about 30 degrees windy w rain/snow. WTF

Admin

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2009, 01:46:38 PM »
I know what you mean, pulled the motor back out of mine last Thur, back in 1hr later, back out to weld new mounts, then back in.  No help no lift, cant figure out why my back hurt all weekend.  Probable the 10-15 time I've taken in/out motor.

Mount the arm, work out the steering, drive the dang thing, then fix some of the crap thats not working out right, then drive some more.

Hoping to drive some more Sat, NW GA 65 degrees and sunny. 8)  Today about 30 degrees windy w rain/snow. WTF

Better git r done so we can goto Durhamtown... ;D

Offline Carlriddle

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2009, 02:44:58 PM »
Can borrow inlaws toyhauler and make a long weekend.  Wife and 9 yr girl too since water elect and tv. 
Lets get these machines running so we can break them and work on them some more.

Admin

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2009, 02:47:45 PM »
Can borrow inlaws toyhauler and make a long weekend.  Wife and 9 yr girl too since water elect and tv. 
Lets get these machines running so we can break them and work on them some more.

Ill be ready April first, got to get it jetted and break in the engine first, Need a big ass open field to do that really... You got one handy? ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal