Author Topic: Anti-Dive  (Read 12248 times)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: Anti-Dive
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 09:57:05 PM »
In the blessed Sand with no front brakes I would guess there would only be room for relatively little anti-dive and the amount I'm suggesting for a racing buggy would be relatively small in the first place.

With no front brakes, there would not be anti dive no matter how you set it up.  The torque on the spindles that the brake creates is what makes it work.

5:

trojan

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 09:57:57 PM »
I have fronts.

How can it be a sand rail with front brakes? No matter how much you polish them, they're unclean!
I sure hope the engine is mounted so far back it wheelies at idle or you'll surely be excommunicated!!

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 10:01:42 PM »
I am collecting aluminum cans to have them.  The retro fit kit comes with a free exorcism, so it's all good.
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 10:02:28 PM »
Thanks Yoshi.

Without front brakes, it will do nothing but make you caster change through the travel.

With front brakes, The brakes try to force the caster change which in turn trys to lift the front of the car, counteracting the brake dive.
correct.  If you don't plan on running front brakes, antidive design will do nothing, as dive is only prompted by front brakes, and requires front brakes to counter the effect...

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 10:04:07 PM »
could not dive be also prompted by weight transfer? would not momentum transfer the force forward with rear breaks only?

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

trojan

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 10:06:36 PM »
With no front brakes, there would not be anti dive no matter how you set it up.  The torque on the spindles that the brake creates is what makes it work.

5:

so a buggy wont dive at all with only rear brakes? mine does  :-[

or if you like, rear only brakes cause no weight transfer?

Weight transfer causes (is the bigger component of) dive. the mentioned spindle torque causes more weight transfer.... I think ;D

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »
I would say that the rear brake could induce some dive, just like acceleration lifts the front end.  But not nearly to the extent that front brakes would.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 10:12:07 PM »
but the dive from rear breaks only cannot be counter-acted with a corresponding mechanical force on the spindals as the anti-dive requires front breaks? - Correct?

trojan

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 10:13:09 PM »
I would say that the rear brake could induce some dive, just like acceleration lifts the front end.  But not nearly to the extent that front brakes would.

Correct  :police:

it also reduces the lift aka anti-lift ;D

plkracer

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 10:13:27 PM »
Yes, rear brakes will induce dive on the front end due to the torque the caliper exerts on the frame. Adding anti dive to the front will not help without front brakes because there is no caliper to put torque into the front control arms, which would essentially keep the front end level.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 10:13:38 PM »
so a buggy wont dive at all with only rear brakes? mine does  :-[

or if you like, rear only brakes cause no weight transfer?

Weight transfer causes (is the bigger component of) dive. the mentioned spindle torque causes more weight transfer.... I think ;D

Listen up boy!  I said with no front brakes you would not have ANTI-DIVE.  The anti-dive is created from the torque of the brake acting on the spindle, and the spindle working on the A-arm's.

What I am saying is you can angle the upper arm however you like, but with no front brakes, it will not affect dive.

trojan

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 10:15:30 PM »
but the dive from rear breaks only cannot be counter-acted with a corresponding mechanical force on the spindals as the anti-dive requires front breaks? - Correct?

not in my opinion.

trojan

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 10:17:54 PM »
Listen up boy!  I said with no front brakes you would not have ANTI-DIVE.

you did, my mistake  :-*

trojan

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 10:22:32 PM »
not in my opinion.

Which I just changed after I thought about better what Yoshi/Eng said ;)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 10:24:21 PM »

Correct......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal