Author Topic: am i under educated?  (Read 10741 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
Re: am i under educated?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 12:55:03 AM »
would a set of motorcycle front fork tubes work good?  i have access to about 100 of them...
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2008, 02:42:11 AM »
the coil overs are bouncy because the shocks are either worn out or valved for a much lighter vehicle and/or spring.  if the coils are stiff enough maybe you could bolt on extra atv or motorcycle shocks without springs on them.  It's kind of a hack, but it might help in the damping department and could be done super cheap.  If you go that route you could ditch the air shocks.  My understanding is that those airshocks are regular shocks with airbags on them to help support more weight.  They would normaly be used in addition to a trucks stock coil or leaf springs.  I put some on  the front of a buggy I built as a last resort sort of thing.  The ones I had were used and the valving was pretty much shot.  They worked, but the machine was in no way intended to be of race or resale quality.
This post has been edited due to content.

artie on edge

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2008, 02:44:11 AM »
Hell, no idea bou the motorcycle forks. But, a lot has been said about the valving issue. My thoughts are, try it, you might like it!

However, it all depends on what you are looking for. If you need a suspension that will hold the front off the ground, it might work.

If you need a suspension that works.... sorry, it cant. It will hold it off the ground, no probs, but it simply is not designed to do what you are asking. If you already have the shocks, try it. Then come back and tell us about it. We would value your opinion/experience. Mastr has done it, his word is good (sometimes hes too drunk to type though!!!).

Looking forward to hearing more, we never get anywhere by taking others word for everything, you might discover a way of making this work. Go man, Im with you!

And no way is anyone here undereducated, remember one uneducated man built the Ark, a whole team of super educated professionals built the Titanic.....  damn... got that wrong huh?

SPEC

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2008, 05:08:33 AM »
Hell, no idea bou the motorcycle forks. But, a lot has been said about the valving issue. My thoughts are, try it, you might like it!

Artie I beg to differ,
they look funny but have been done and does work...and worked well prolly won't work on voodoo's machine...His wasn't designed for them...Blue and yellow 460 had them on the rear but I designed it to try them...They worked awesome...I'd say like a poor nam's fox airs they were oil. air and spring adjustable...
It took a little dinking around to get them set up, But once I got the oil level/viscosity right it was a matter of adding or letting some air out to suit each driver, on the fronts I used coil overs as always...I'll look for some pix that one was gone before my puter crashed,
I don't have any pix of it from the rear, but you can see the fork tube in this pic...This machine was a league racer that I let people drive to see if they wanted to go racing with us

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 08:15:33 AM »
Interesting ,IMO , remarks. My opinion here is that as far as SPRING rate is concerned you can likely make something work along the lines of what you are wishing to do voodoo. The problem will be VALVING. IMO that will depend on the final weight /shock mounting angle/ shock motion ratio and a host of other factors.Mounted pretty well straight up with a nice 2:1 or so motion ratio and using shocks(valving) that were meant for a much heavier vehicle will result in a nearly rock hard ride. Regardless of the stiffness/softness of the springing the valving will make for very poor suspension travel.The valving is ALL IMPORTANT to how the machine handles/rides. Try this to convince yourself.Put the air shock on with no air in it and no other spring in place on the rear of your machine. Then suspend it at ride height with a barely capable string string/rope or whatever will just barely hold it up. Then get on a ladder/sawhorse/step stool -whatever and jump on the buggy rear. I think you will see that even without any springing at all the buggy will barely move more than an inch if you're lucky. Sure it will slowly compress but it should make a fairly fast travel through the shock travel to max compression. The shock made for a heavier vehicle will compress slowly and will not allow much use of your suspension travel. That is how it will act on your buggy only worse with any added spring pressure.THEN there's the rebound that will be VERY slow due to the much lighter spring pressure it will be controlling. Personally,I know you are wanting to do this on the cheap and there's nothing wrong with that(BTDT),but I would look into the front forks from a MX bike or something.THey will not be "correct" either but IMO will be a shitload closer on the valving.     
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2008, 09:09:36 AM »
),but I would look into the front forks from a MX bike or something.THey will not be "correct" either but IMO will be a shitload closer on the valving.
That's a good point, with the bike fork you have a shit load of spring rates available, and they are cheap, changing oil vicosity helps with the valving as Fabr said needs to be close or the ride will suffer. I haven't checked in a few years but I think you can get fork oil from 5 wt. clear up to 100 wt. in 5 or 10 wt. increments...and with the air adjustable you can taylor the ride height and compression...I dont think the air helps too much for rebound tho...That was along time ago...I sold that machine 6 years ago...Here's a secondary thought you could go out to flea pay and set up dual shocks like I run on the 750's...they just take some math and you'd be set

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2008, 10:53:31 AM »
dont forget that i have not yet been spoiled by a good riding suspension.. hahaha, maybe ill like what i have.  this issue of worrying about it will be put on hold untill she is driving.. 

Admin

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2008, 03:05:22 PM »
Your noy gonna tell a damn thing till you drive it...My Drakart has very very fast rebound in it... So what i am saying any and all that your doing right now doesnt mean shit till you take it for a spin, And let things work on there own... ;D

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2008, 05:49:37 PM »
i took those shocksback tonight anyways. even with 10,20,30,40,50 lbs in them, they just made my coils less reactive towards the rebound..  fxxk em..      new topic.. can someone with experience show me a set of shocks that will work good for the rear, that are under 100$  haha, or is that to tall of a feat?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2008, 06:07:19 PM »
),but I would look into the front forks from a MX bike or something.THey will not be "correct" either but IMO will be a shitload closer on the valving.
That's a good point, with the bike fork you have a shit load of spring rates available, and they are cheap, changing oil vicosity helps with the valving as Fabr said needs to be close or the ride will suffer. I haven't checked in a few years but I think you can get fork oil from 5 wt. clear up to 100 wt. in 5 or 10 wt. increments...and with the air adjustable you can taylor the ride height and compression...I dont think the air helps too much for rebound tho...That was along time ago...I sold that machine 6 years ago...Here's a secondary thought you could go out to flea pay and set up dual shocks like I run on the 750's...they just take some math and you'd be set
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2008, 09:01:32 PM »
yea but they are so soft..  they easily bottom out with your bouncing on the front end of a bike..

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2008, 09:04:45 PM »
Use 2,change out the spring?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2008, 09:05:19 PM »
Heavier oil?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2008, 09:46:36 PM »
two per side ya mean? could just use the triple trees, leave em connected...  might as well be the frankenstein build in stead of built from scratch....

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »
are you criticizing the suggestions or trying to be funny?  The best solution has always been out there, just open your wallet....
This post has been edited due to content.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal