Author Topic: This kind of front end has a real proper name... Does anyone know what it is??  (Read 10280 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
While not perfect, what is, I'd say they may be some additional strength from the rear arm mounts being much further back than a traditional A arm.  And a little rake would certainly help the forward swing from a nose front landing.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

LiveWire

What poor geometry are you talking about that would cause this?

At full droop, the tire is moved back from where it is at ride height. All long travel A-arm suspensions have the issue that the tire moves in while approaching full droop. So the tire has to move forward and out to move up. When you land nose down on one tire, forces are trying to move the tire up, in and back. 2 out of 3 win, the tire moves in, back and down ripping it off the shock.

Rake will reduce the amount the tire move forward. However, rake is a static amount and the leading arms cause the movement to be an arc. The rake will combine with the arc above ride height leading to increased brake dive. If anything, you want the effect of rake below ride height, but the opposite above ride height. You can attain this with a semi leading mounted upper A-arm and a parallel mounted lower.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
I dont know what the hell all of you are talking about. This style front end is harder to set up and takes a little more work to dial it all in but they work great. I get a clean 20" of travel in the front with a 10" shock. I can run through 3' tall whoops at 90+ mph and hang on to the wheel one handed without power steering. Just cause you dont understand something does not make it inferior. The key to these setups is keeping everything equal length and parallel. And its called an A arm front end, just a different style arm.

the front end pictured at the beginning of the thread.  look at how it mounts to the side of the chassis and all points in single shear, is that how yours does? in that pic,( in that pic from what I can see) that front end, from a-arm.com has no cross tube supporting the bend in the rear tube of the bottom arm, is yours built like this as well? I'm betting yours is better built if your happy with it.  where there are pro's and con's ( I lean to the side of con's like live wire ) to this front end design.  in the pic at the start of the thread, I don't see any support where it should be plus the way the hang the pivot points below the chassis. that front end kit was made for the bolt on only folks that can't do anything else. it's dangerous imo but hey that's my opinion! i know several have built and used this style, better built, and i can see where it does offer more room for shocks and foot room.  I just find it more limiting that beneficial.  bottom line is if it meets your design needs and works well for you, then happy.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:32:31 PM by Dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
The pic I posted was just convenient. It is not about how that one mounts so much as the layout of the arms in the wide spread "V" or "A". Its about the style of the arms I am seeking.

I to have heard them called A-arms but I do not think that is proper and that is not the name I have heard this kind of front end called.

For reasons only the universe knows I am thinking hodgkins front end but I am sure thats a delusion due to hunger at this moment.  Maybe its hotchkiss?

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
I'll chime in here and say that it doesn't have a proper name since it's just a variation of a arm to allow more foot room in a compact chassis. I'll also add it's not the best design but it works OK.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

LiveWire

The picture of the one in the first post is as a retrofit kit for a trailing arm chassis. It probably sucks less than the trailing arms suck. ;)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Good point!!!! Still not my cup of tea as a bolt on. 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
As it does not seem to have a proper name, lets call it "Bob."  (Bend or Break)  That way it finally has a name and we can let this topic go. 

Bob it is. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Carlriddle

If we retire this thread, what will we do now.  Its too cold here, no heat in shop, to work on buggy.   ;D Fabr  ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Huh? Who........me?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

Sorry I was refering to the fact I may be cold!   LMAO

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Welllllll, if you were just a tad closer you could bring it here to a nice warm shop.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

LiveWire

I still like semi leading A-arm.

Offline sandycrack

How about fractional A Arm?  rofl rofl rofl
You smell that?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Didn't someone call it a K arm ?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal