Author Topic: A arms and a 3rd link  (Read 17867 times)

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
Re: A arms and a 3rd link
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2008, 09:52:49 PM »
The CORR trucks use them. Here is Johnny Greaves Truck. I do work for Johhny and he lets me use his bender. Great group of guys!!!

Great discussion guys! Rick the jig looks great. I never did get to see it.

plkracer

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2008, 10:20:55 PM »
I haven't felt the need for a sway bar on my car. It spun out before the shocks fully compressed on the outside, and it didn't feel tipsy.

artie on edge

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2008, 10:39:57 PM »
Hi Doug, like I said comes back to mass, that machine in your pics has serious mass! Our machines dont.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2008, 05:31:53 AM »
I dont see a need for them on my builds or any of the minis. Just trying to contribute info..

Rick S.

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2008, 09:51:16 AM »
I've never really noticed any body roll on my buggy either.
This idea was only just a thought.
But what's unique about the idea is that it would serve a dual function on double a arm rears. If set-up right, It would give the arms added support and help with body roll.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
How would you get it to follow the "cone shaped travel" path and still be a solid link at the frontbar pivot?

The link you use has a hiem at each end which allows it movement in the cone shaped path. I am curious to how you might achieve the loads the sway bar would impart yet still allow freedom of the curved path.

I would imagine it would be simpler to do like the truck above. Make yours just as you do with the 3rd link and get a minibuggy sized sway bar at the back that attached like the truck one does. But if you had a way I would like to see it for sure!   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:41:31 PM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

plkracer

« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2008, 03:45:32 PM »
The sway bar can pivot in two directions if it is made to the drawing. That's all that is needed.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2008, 04:59:14 PM »
I see that now. Thanx. I had glanced over the drawing way to quick as it was loading (frigging dialup) but then later had longer to load all the truck above pics and was thinking it would be more like that. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

David M

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2008, 11:13:30 PM »
Would the third link strengthen the A arm rear enough to be used where a trailing arm would normally be used. I was thinking of building an Edge buggy but it be used in rocky desert terrain. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2008, 06:25:59 AM »
Go to a "wide stance" a-arm and the "3rd link" is built in. There is a thread on here about that. Look up dsrace or enemy's posts and you'll find it. I forget the title.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2008, 01:33:20 PM »
The wide stance may be a bit tricky on the edge cars, I would say the 3 rd link on the edge cars would kick ass in the desert myself..

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2008, 04:17:56 PM »
Why?not enough room?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2008, 05:45:46 PM »
Hi mast, exactly what is enough room?

How much footprint is required for a given arm length (leverage issues??)?

I am building the Edge Barracuda with my own slant and I am replacing the Edge rear casette with one of my own design. The edge rear arms mount on the final drive casette housing which some might say would limit the footprint. But is it not enough? I think it is and my suspension mounts are now on the actual chassis but they are the same dimensions as the edges because (again) I think they are adequate.

How strong should a system be?

My answer is enough to do the job but soft enough to fail when unduly stressed without transferring too much damage to the chassis. Sort of a planned crumple zone to minimise repair costs....

The edge design has now been documented twice hitting trees with the rear. In both cases the control arms took the brunt leaving the chassis undamaged. Isnt that ideal? They do not fail under normal play or racing conditions. (they have their own class of racing here in Oz and hey have had the crap hammered outta em!)

Adding the third arm in this situation is simply asking to add damage to other items on the vehicle including the chassis. Not ideal IMO... 8)

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2008, 05:59:38 PM »
You have obviously not read this entire thread. I have hit a tree with the 3rd link and because of it I did not damage the chassis or even the A-arms. I took out my nerf bar and the wheels and even the upright. But thats it for rear damage! the 3rd link does not induse a point to cause damage to the chassis.

The guys that hit trees without this set up have also damaged shocks, hardware, and axles.

artie on edge

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2008, 09:22:28 PM »
well you would be wrong Doug. I read it. I can only say that you were lucky Doug, or had the forsight to build in a break-away point.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal