Author Topic: Fox shock valving??  (Read 22910 times)

Offline BDKW1

Re: Fox shock valving??
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 10:04:49 PM »
Valving Fox airs is a crap shoot at best as they are an emulsion shock with a huge amount of air in them. Once you hit a few good sized bumps your oil will start to foam and your damping will take a nose dive. This is why they do better with more oil, the added spring rate progression makes up for the lack of damping.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 10:13:17 PM »
I've always had a git feelng that would be the case but Fox ,I think anyway I've read,says the very high pressure nitrogen keeps that from being an issue as the nitrogen bubbles are in solution sort of like a diver and thebends. Release the Nitro pressure and the foaming occurs but at the high pressure it does not. According from what I think I have read Fox saying. Any thoughts from personal experience? Just asking as I don't have a clue but it sounded plausible to me.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline lupus1

• Peon extrordinaire
  • Grunt worker
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 03:47:48 PM »
Try this link. It might help with some numbers.

http://racerunnershocks.com/calculators/swayawayCalc.php#step5
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need one to skydive twice.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 05:44:14 PM »
I can say this from 10 years personal experiance, if you get the shock hot then yes the dampening fails but as far as hitting a bump on lighter weight rails no I have never felt the dampening fail. my 1600lb (1600 lb - 1800 lb guestimate) v-6 rail uses 2.0 air in the front and 2.0 coil assist air in the rear and I don't feel dampening failure from hitting a bump what I do feel is the transfer from primary to secondary coil in the rear! never felt that with air's! but in the end yes a start point for valving is kind of a crap shoot, getting it right takes time or you might get lucky and get it the first or second time. try them first then change pressure and add oil if that doesn't get it atleast you know which direction to go.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 05:53:27 PM by Dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal