Author Topic: Camber on rear a arms  (Read 8031 times)

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
Re: Camber on rear a arms
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 08:15:12 AM »
Sorry for the widescreen,not so good with computers.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 01:40:42 PM »
"Seems F'ed up to me."

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.noisy-toyz.com/images/products/redline/revoltxl_2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.noisy-toyz.com/products/redline/revoltxl.html&usg=__O6mw7d6OizYY6xbODqM0HNbxrSg=&h=230&w=368&sz=18&hl=en&start=42&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=CBet75Igc91FBM:&tbnh=76&tbnw=122&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dredline%2Brevolt%2Bpics%26start%3D40%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26ndsp%3D20%26tbs%3Disch:1

In that picture I don't see much camber change in the rear...  The tires are leaning with the car.  Just the outer is compressed and the inner is drooped.  That picture seems to be just before it goes tumbling.  Stiffer springs would be my answer with a lower ride height.

I think theres more to it than just the tire being "square" to the ground.It also effects instant center,roll center,and mostly center of gravity.

Please do go on....

The instant center will change from the side with camber change.  What effect does that have?

Center of gravity?  With camber change the top and bottom of the tire moves in and out an extra inch over parallel suspension.  Not much affect.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »
I want to touch on the revolt vid. I noticed when my brother drove mine that there does seem to be alot of lean on the back tires. And it is a little roll happy. I have lowered the ride height which helped. So my question is, is the rear suspension a design flaw or is it good for it to act the way it does. Seems F'ed up to me.
To me the redlines are hung up on a tall look for the cool factor with complete disregard for function. To me it's a design flaw that COULD be fixed. The overall design is not all that bad but from all reports "a little roll happy" is being very generous.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 07:41:35 PM »
It's tall and narrow.....

It does what tall and narrow does.

That is all.

ETA:  If you want to go on four wheeler trails narrow is good!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 07:43:08 PM by Engineer »

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 04:20:35 AM »
I am looking at a sway bar for it. But I am worried what it will do to me in high speed woops and rough terrain. I would rather give up a little on turning speed to keep my "skipping" characteristics across the woops. Any opinions?

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 04:23:24 PM »
"Any opinions? "

Add some camber curve to the rear.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 06:37:22 PM »
 sway bars are tricky when using a lot of travel. I'd look into the springing-rates,shock valving and ride height- of the thing. What are some details there?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 04:24:56 AM »
sway bars are tricky when using a lot of travel. I'd look into the springing-rates,shock valving and ride height- of the thing. What are some details there?

The shocks are stock. My problem is they work great in the rough stuff the way they are. I have dropped pressure to 220 in the rear and 190 in the fronts. I can BLAST through woops 12"-18" at 50-60 mph hour and just skip through them. No bucking or any issues. But when I am out of them (woops) and go to turn at speed I do not think you could drive a straight pin up my ass with a sledge hammer!!! I am going to add some oil (30cc) to the shocks and I am sure it will help stability but not sure what it will do in the woops. Some of the guys have the swaybars and seem to really like them. I am in the process of communicating with them to get more specific details. They say that it does not affect the travel too much but it will limit the independant suspension in the rear some. How much is the question. I ride in some pretty open places and like to slide it around corners, FAST, and am looking for that comfort level. I do not want to barrel roll at 60mph. Do not know if my "old" ass body would recover. I figure $300-$400 is doable now, I cannot swing the cost of the coil overs right now. If you are looking for more details please be specific. The more input I get the better decision I can make.

Thanks

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 06:04:41 AM »
IMO ,for what little it's worth,is that the redlines could benefit greatly with dual spring coil overs adjusted so the crossover collar hits relatively early in the bump stroke to control some of the body roll and the soft primary spring allows you to blast the whoops.. Air shocks are great,don't misunderstand, but on a narrow car I can't see their being high enough of a progressive rate to counteract body roll as well as dual spring coil overs that will hit the crossover point and instantly act similar to a sway bay while still allowing full independent suspension action.DId that make any sense?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:06:23 AM by masterfabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 06:36:53 AM »
Yes that makes sense. And ideally I would run the coil overs. But cost wise I can't do it now. All that have put the coil overs on the Revolt say it is the ticket. In the future I will do this I am sure. With that said the few that have the swaybar also say it works great. Guess I will just bite the bullet and get it and if I do not like it I will sell it to someone who is racing short coarse. I do not want to roll it while I am in L/S with you guys since you will have all the cameras running. I DO NOT want to be the highlight reel on YouTube!!!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 06:51:30 AM »
Would it hurt your use if you just lowered it a couple of inches and run maybe 1.5" rear wheel spacers to widen the track a bit? I remember the old 250 Honda Odyssey's would hndle 100% better with just the addition of 3-4" rear track . They were VERY roll happy without it even without any rear suspension at all.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 09:45:20 AM »
I did not think about that. I guess the only draw back would be for trail width. I would have no idea where to get ahold of wheel spacers. Any suggestions? I had a fl350 I use to race dirt track oval and NEVER even bicycled it. Of coarse it was banked turns.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
You'd have to have the spacers made. You'd ,IMO, be amazed what a bit extra width and slightly lower stance will make.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal