Author Topic: king vs fox vs ???  (Read 15133 times)

trans man

Re: king vs fox vs ???
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2010, 07:18:58 PM »
one of the video's I posted up towards the end of it you will see doug and I looking for trans and the rest of the bunch. when we find them if you look real hard you can see all of us at his rail trying to get the 2 halves back together! it was the ls october freeze you a$$ of trip so heat wasn't an issue with the shock failing either!   rofl rofl

also now that trans has re-valved after finding out that at the king plant they installed the compr valving on the rebound side as per the conversation with brett at the time, he was able to drop down to 300 something psi!
310 PSI to be exact. After revalving to what I'm running now, as I have said in a earlier post. 8) 8) 8)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2010, 08:00:44 PM »
ya know if that shock would have came apart completely just before the bottom of that dune you would have looked like a human lawn dart! that would've hurt but made for a good pic.  ;D :o ;D
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

trans man

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2010, 08:04:08 PM »
ya know if that shock would have came apart completely just before the bottom of that dune you would have looked like a human lawn dart! that would've hurt but made for a good pic.  ;D :o ;D
Nothing like a $hit load of sand between your teeth and would have seen how good my 5 point belt are! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2010, 08:11:51 PM »
And you didnt even drop your cigarette

trans man

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2010, 08:16:18 PM »
And you didnt even drop your cigarette
;D ;D ;D ;D You got that right.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:31:30 PM by trans man »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2010, 09:06:07 PM »
With the hold down nut not on the shaft, that caused the valving stacks and piston to just flop around in side. Those parts weren't doing what they were to do. So with 415 PSI push in shaft out and the oil not doing any dampening, it pounded against the limiting strap. Does that make sense to you guys now. 8) 8) 8)
Not trying to be a dick but ---uh-----nope. I know Ds also described what you say but I still can't see it.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2010, 09:14:01 PM »
talking about how far the strap stretched that is.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2010, 12:37:51 PM »
they did and lets not forget they were wet when it happended!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2010, 02:54:58 PM »
Wet will stretch more than  dry,I'll agree.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2010, 07:07:52 PM »
I am not saying that the strap couldn't have been defective because anything is possible but judging from what I saw and the fact that the shock ejected far enough that with a flashlight you could've seen the threaded stud that the piston bolt down with, well it came out too far and yes that is the point of the strap to keep that from happening but when the shaft came out and the shock leaned over like a lazy v with a wet strap stretching is when it finished it all off. I know the point is that the strap shouldn't have let this happen in the first place. I have used prp, beard, mckenzies and quad straps from pacific customs. the mckenzies are the stiffest and strongest with my experience with them all listed. now one time I soaked a strap in a bucket of water for 10 min's to see if I could pre-stretch it and at 450 psi with the wheels off the ground it stretched 1.75" as soon as the pressure hit it! that strap was 2" shorter than the shock and also mounted eye to eye on the shock. I left it up for 2 days untouched and then let the pressure off. by the end of the day it shrank back all but 1/2". now during our trip to ls we had rain on and off for 2 days and in between mist so we did ride in the mist and the rails in front sprayed water at the guys behind as well. the day this happened it was still wet as you can see in the video. I on the other hand actually drove through a flooded out portion of the trail on my way to see fabber! by the time I saw it, it was too late to do anything but pin it and hope for the best! no mine did not stretch to the point of letting the shock come apart but my shocks are fox and aren't prone to coming apart like the king rep so gently explained!

trans man

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2010, 07:20:17 PM »
That was the second wettest trip at LS I've had yet! drowning drowning drowning

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2010, 07:47:54 PM »
I am not saying that the strap couldn't have been defective because anything is possible but judging from what I saw and the fact that the shock ejected far enough that with a flashlight you could've seen the threaded stud that the piston bolt down with, well it came out too far and yes that is the point of the strap to keep that from happening but when the shaft came out and the shock leaned over like a lazy v with a wet strap stretching is when it finished it all off. I know the point is that the strap shouldn't have let this happen in the first place. I have used prp, beard, mckenzies and quad straps from pacific customs. the mckenzies are the stiffest and strongest with my experience with them all listed. now one time I soaked a strap in a bucket of water for 10 min's to see if I could pre-stretch it and at 450 psi with the wheels off the ground it stretched 1.75" as soon as the pressure hit it! that strap was 2" shorter than the shock and also mounted eye to eye on the shock. I left it up for 2 days untouched and then let the pressure off. by the end of the day it shrank back all but 1/2". now during our trip to ls we had rain on and off for 2 days and in between mist so we did ride in the mist and the rails in front sprayed water at the guys behind as well. the day this happened it was still wet as you can see in the video. I on the other hand actually drove through a flooded out portion of the trail on my way to see fabber! by the time I saw it, it was too late to do anything but pin it and hope for the best! no mine did not stretch to the point of letting the shock come apart but my shocks are fox and aren't prone to coming apart like the king rep so gently explained!
It's starting to make sense more now. I know that this is a subject of debate for a very long time but I am of the camp that says straps are BS in the first place. MAYBE I could be persuaded of their need on air shocks due to the high pressure to start with but on conventional coil overs I see absolutely no need for straps IF there is a cushion of some kind at the end of stroke.  I cannot see why Kings would not have some provision to cushion the impact at end of stroke. That cushion can/should be a spring or,my preference, a polyurethane bumper in place of the internal solid aluminum spacer that Fox c/o's have. Airs may be different.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

trans man

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2010, 07:54:02 PM »
It's starting to make sense more now. I know that this is a subject of debate for a very long time but I am of the camp that says straps are BS in the first place. MAYBE I could be persuaded of their need on air shocks due to the high pressure to start with but on conventional coil overs I see absolutely no need for straps IF there is a cushion of some kind at the end of stroke.  I cannot see why Kings would not have some provision to cushion the impact at end of stroke. That cushion can/should be a spring or,my preference, a polyurethane bumper in place of the internal solid aluminum spacer that Fox c/o's have. Airs may be different.
That's why on my King air shocks, I got rid of there aluminum stop and installed a Fox spring in it place. 8) 8) 8)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »
I take the puck out of the Fox Co's and replace with a PU bumper. Same end result tho.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2010, 08:03:36 PM »
I'm also going strapless.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal