Author Topic: Tube Frame Safety / Design  (Read 8883 times)

JimmieD

Re: Tube Frame Safety / Design
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2010, 09:49:51 AM »
Hi guys!

I don't want to post any details at all regarding a method for inductance, or as mentioned more correctly, resistance heating, due to personal liability issues, sorry. Just brought it up as a possibility for those who are able.

And regarding the frame and thinking wood design while designing, that's a generalization of planning distribution of loads, that if it would work in wood it will work in steel to have sufficient strength. Speaking of tension and compression loading.

Anyways, I was just tossing it all out there for chit-chat so apologies if it all sounded like a bunch of chit, but we did chat!

Have a GREAT week!  :)

chrishallett83

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2010, 10:05:27 AM »
If you do this, please take video, I'd love to see it.  How do you control the cooling rate afterwards (which is critical for normalizing)?  How do you control max temperature?

In your description, I don't think this would actually be called induction heating, but more likely resistance heating, which is much different.

Induction heating is very common in the heat treating industry.  Are you saying this type of normalizing procedure (let's call it the Frankenstein method) is common for frame builders????   bs1

It sounds like he is basically taking an oven element and wrappping it around the chassis, rather than passing the current through the chassis. You would control the max temp and cooldown thre same way as you would with an oven - thermostatic control of the amperage.

Edit: Whoops, he did mean resistance heat treating. Oh well, same control methods I guess?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:10:00 AM by chrishallett83 »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2010, 11:56:36 AM »
i don't think you understand heat treating basics guys.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:59:10 AM by masterfabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal