Author Topic: Tube Frame Safety / Design  (Read 8884 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Tube Frame Safety / Design
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »
I understand that but with more heat in the tube the HAZ is greatly enlarged and in turn the area that is hardened is in the area of most needed elasticity.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2010, 01:19:03 PM »
Too fast cooling is ,of course ,the key to the hardening with the higher carbon content compared to 1020 .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

JimmieD

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2010, 07:29:30 PM »
There is a way to normalize a frame through electrical induction. This induction method is commonly used in industry. There a coil is energized and the magnetic field causes heat. It's possible to wire up a steel tube frame directly like an electric toaster element and achieve normalization temperature. With a sufficient power source it's fairly easy, but potentially quite dangerous as high voltage and amperage are present. You could die from it if you don't know what you're doing.

Just as in the mention of the paint escapade, insulation from harmful elements is the key. If you don't know enough about electricity to do this without help, don't try to do it alone. You could die from it if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Nevertheless, it's possible, and eliminates the need for an oven etc. A little bit of imagination should reveal a huge power source, but that's up to you too, and equally dangerous.

Some may have an electrician friend to guide them in this process, it's actually simple, but highly dangerous if done incorrectly.

Understood if moderator chooses to delete!

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2010, 08:33:43 PM »
There is a way to normalize a frame through electrical induction. This induction method is commonly used in industry. There a coil is energized and the magnetic field causes heat. It's possible to wire up a steel tube frame directly like an electric toaster element and achieve normalization temperature. With a sufficient power source it's fairly easy, but potentially quite dangerous as high voltage and amperage are present. You could die from it if you don't know what you're doing.

Just as in the mention of the paint escapade, insulation from harmful elements is the key. If you don't know enough about electricity to do this without help, don't try to do it alone. You could die from it if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Nevertheless, it's possible, and eliminates the need for an oven etc. A little bit of imagination should reveal a huge power source, but that's up to you too, and equally dangerous.

Some may have an electrician friend to guide them in this process, it's actually simple, but highly dangerous if done incorrectly.

Don't try this at home kids!

(Disclaimer added)

;D

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2010, 08:59:08 PM »
Aww heck, go ahead and try it at home.  Claims adjusters and morticians need work too!
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2010, 09:47:12 PM »

By all means be sure to take a friend out at the same time!  rofl nono
It's highly dangerous rigged up period. nono
Mod says do not try this.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2010, 09:48:09 PM »
I needed a laugh tonite i guess.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

JimmieD

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2010, 10:08:14 PM »
And there we go there now!

I'll probably do it on my next chassis if it seems necessary. Like I mentioned, I design stuff that it could be built out of northwestern cedar or Sitka spruce, the amazingly tough stuff they made masts, spars & yardarms out of. That way a chassis design is structurally real tough when done in steel. Probably not necessary to normalize using DOM cold rolled which I bought for this one.

I know some might be scratching their heads on the reference to those woods, but do some research on their relative strength even compared to steel and it's real surprising. It's the perfect monocoque design within itself!

nvheattreating

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2010, 10:21:24 PM »
If you do this, please take video, I'd love to see it.  How do you control the cooling rate afterwards (which is critical for normalizing)?  How do you control max temperature?

In your description, I don't think this would actually be called induction heating, but more likely resistance heating, which is much different.

Induction heating is very common in the heat treating industry.  Are you saying this type of normalizing procedure (let's call it the Frankenstein method) is common for frame builders????   bs1

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2010, 10:27:17 PM »

I'll probably do it on my next chassis if it seems necessary. Like I mentioned, I design stuff that it could be built out of northwestern cedar or Sitka spruce, the amazingly tough stuff they made masts, spars & yardarms out of. That way a chassis design is structurally real tough when done in steel. Probably not necessary to normalize using DOM cold rolled which I bought for this one.

I know some might be scratching their heads on the reference to those woods, but do some research on their relative strength even compared to steel and it's real surprising. It's the perfect monocoque design within itself!
I have sold lumber all my life pretty much and i'll agree you COULD build a buggy from those woods. You a friend of Howard Hughes by chance? But comparing a design sufficient to use woods for the frame/mono/whatever to a frame of steel is a bit ludicrous when it comes to actual chassis design comparision of wood vs steel. Gawd,this has been entertaining!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2010, 10:29:44 PM »

IF it seems necessary? If it's needed ,it's needed regardless of design. Make up your mind. Either you feel it's needed or not. Besides i want to see the vids myself!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

nvheattreating

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2010, 10:45:22 PM »
A bit off topic, but my friend's son is just getting into heat treating furnace sales, so I thought we'd have him load/unload a few furnaces (started off small/easy).  If you click on the photo below it should show a short video.
Pat

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2010, 11:25:43 PM »
Nothing says excitement like fire!

I have been looking at this for a long time for chassis.

http://www.meta-lax.com/

JimmieD

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2010, 11:47:35 PM »
IF it seems necessary? If it's needed ,it's needed regardless of design. Make up your mind. Either you feel it's needed or not. Besides i want to see the vids myself!

Yeah, I know. But this one will be a tame thing for easy going on street & trails, so not subject to huge stresses. Best to HT though.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2010, 05:53:24 AM »
Nothing says excitement like fire!

I have been looking at this for a long time for chassis.

http://www.meta-lax.com/
Same here,but IMO,we're getting carried away. The question is,is it necessary or just a talking/selling point?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal