Author Topic: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion  (Read 80714 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 09:20:46 PM »
 not sure if i hurt anything or not but since my turbo manifold is a d port flange i made a pattern off of it and gave the exh ports on the  head a slight D shape. so the intake are D shaped and this is a D port head, and the exh side is now too.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 09:29:49 PM »
i did not realize that so thanks for the info. this engine and these do not have harmonic balancers but later models did get them. not sure what year. planned on the rods and pistons. i figured i would have the crank with the flywheel balanced but maybe just the flywheel now.
Balance flywheel separate from rotating assembly.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 09:31:24 PM »
laying the shock inline with the axle as in from wheel to center of frame rather than forward like it was as in from wheel to back of seat. i have enough room just need to see how it will lay out.
Yes,in line with axles. Try to hit perpendicular with axle at full bump.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 09:32:34 PM »
Yes,in line with axles. Try to hit perpendicular with axle at full bump.

thats my goal

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 09:33:19 PM »
so here are some pics of the head. stock spare head first then the head i ported/polished so you can kind of see what i did. i know pics aren't the same as in person but..... now i didn't take any real material off the short side in the intake or exh runners just cleaned all the slag and polished the wall as best as i could. not a lot of material in those spots and read many posts that they can crack easy if you take much. i did go to town in the bowl area and the slag was bad in there. cleaned and took a little out of the cc as well. funny thing is it looks a lot smoother in person but the camera really picks up the marks. so fabbr you've done a few heads so good or bad ...thoughts?
I'll look at these on my big monitor at work tomorrow.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 09:37:33 PM »
also i should add that both of those heads were what they call heart shape comb chambers. stock turbo heads are a straight line like a D shape. i have two cracked turbo heads so i scribed a straight line to cut the comb chamber into the same shape.  also the turbo head is a 62 cc comb chamber and the heart shaped n/a heads 58 cc i believe. i have not re installed vavles yet to cc the head after my work but plan on it. i cannot take a clear pic of the runners around valve stem to show the solid square ledges there machine work left behind which is what i ground out of the other. it too dirty to see the slag either and i call it slag cause that's what it kind of looks like to me. a lot of hours went into doing what i did! also i did make sure when the valve is open i have 3/16" clearence to the comb chamber wall at it's tightest spot in an attempt to unshroud the valves. i plan on going with the flat top piston rather than the dished like factory. now on the n/a head with about 58 cc it raises the comp ration to 9.3 to 1 but on a turbo head of 62cc's its 9 to 1. i'm shooting for 9to1 only to help promote quicker boost or a more responsive turbo. also staying with stock dia valves. i don't see the larger ones many on the turbo ranger forum go with doing that much more for this build rather a slightly higher lift from the cam and hope to maintain better velocity that way. plus not enough material around the valve to remove to keep that 3/16" clearance imo lol
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:44:36 PM by dsrace »

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 02:33:12 AM »
If you're not a member already, this site has lots of info and tech available for the 2.3. I've got 2 of these stock motors in my shop for a build someday.

http://www.turboford.org/
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 02:36:19 AM by D Walker »

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 05:40:39 AM »
Woohoo pics of ya gettin the car naked!!  That 2.3 should have the torque and hp ##'s to move that fat pig along like you wanted the busa too.  Lookin good.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 07:01:20 PM »
Can't tell for sure but I think you may have made a rookie mistake. Looking at the pic it appears you ground the intake port just below the valve seat all the way or ,very close,to the seat with a straight wall below the seat. That actually kills flow if you did. It needs around a 60 degree angle,smoothly blended to the intake port sort of like a carb venturi. It helps the flow to make the turn over the seat and into the combustion chamber.The "throat" just below the seat area should be somewhere around 85% of the inside diameter of the valve seat. I'll see if I can find some pics of what I'm describing.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »
Here's 3 pics that might help. First pic shows the seat in red and the area in blue is what I'm talking about. second one ,the area shown as the expansion area is just below the valve. The last one may show pretty much what is needed roughing it in before final blending. The reason you need the expansion area before the valve/seat is to slow the high speed airflow so it can make the turn around/through the seat area much more effectively.  The area in blue (pic1) is the dark area just below the seat in pic3.
The 2.3 should be a very reliable engine. I've built a few in years past .
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:34:00 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 07:40:29 PM »
Believe it or not,a rough intake port will outflow a polished intake port,all things equal otherwise.  a polished port will actually grab onto the airflow and reduce it to near zero ,or at least dramatically slower ,close to the port walls. That in turn tries to slow the overall port flow.  A coarse ground surface or an as machined in the case of a cnc ported head will easily outflow a polished one.  The opposite is true of the exhaust. Doesn't really hurt flow polishing the ex port but it does little to enhance it either.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 08:09:26 PM »
thanks for the info and now i will have to go look. i smoothed the transition and ground all the chunky slag out but didn't really cut into the wall but did round the area in front of the valve stem throat and on the sides similar as the bo port head was in the head enemy bought. now i will have to go look close right below the valve seat.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 09:08:19 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 08:11:20 PM »
Believe it or not,a rough intake port will outflow a polished intake port,all things equal otherwise.  a polished port will actually grab onto the airflow and reduce it to near zero ,or at least dramatically slower ,close to the port walls. That in turn tries to slow the overall port flow.  A coarse ground surface or an as machined in the case of a cnc ported head will easily outflow a polished one.  The opposite is true of the exhaust. Doesn't really hurt flow polishing the ex port but it does little to enhance it either.

understand what your saying.....don't want the intake charge to hit a brick wall. i did hear a polished port will slow the flow in a sense as well.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 08:17:36 PM »
and what are your thoughts on the poss effect, cutting the round exh port into a slight D shape like the turbo manifold inlet port i bought?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 08:29:14 PM »
here is a pic of the exh manifold and lower intake manifold stock and what i did to knife edge for a diff upper.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal