Author Topic: rugged radio car to car system  (Read 5700 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
rugged radio car to car system
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:30:25 AM »
now i know some have this brand and some have had issues with it. i have there new 60 watt radio and intercom and have had 0 issues thus far. i have dougs rail at home with me looking into a few issues with his. his will kill the ignition everytime he keys up and the even more interesting part about that is it killed enemy's ignition while parked beside doug on the dunes. now this issue wasn't present with the stock ecu before some mods were made so hard telling where to start looking. first thing was sine his new ecu is now located inside the wing trunk and the antenna was mounted there from previous owner, fast and enemy moved that to the roof while at the dunes. i think doug helped  LMAO LMAO rofl rofl   so that did not solve the issue. doug figured out if he gunned the engine then let off the throttle , during decel he could key up spit it out quick then get back into the throttle to restart the engine as long as he was rolling still lol like a a pull start so to speak  ;).

so i started looking at this as i have been bored out of my mind! i didn't check the + or - wires to the batt as the system turns on. i shortened the coaxial cable as it was 10' longer than needed but issue still present. i ran the coax to visually look for rub marks that could be a hole, didn't find any but didn't think do a continuity test between cores and grounding mesh. i did insulate the bulk head antenna mount from the roof skin to see if there was a grounding issue and still had the issue.

so for the hell of it i unthreaded, removed, the antenna and keyed up while at idle........ didn't kill the engine! put it back on, at idle, keyed up and killed the engine. so i removed it completely from from the roof and threaded the antenna back on then laid it in the seat and again killed the engine at idle. removed antenna from that base, still sitting in the seat and problem gone. so for grinns and giggles i got a piece of tinfoil out and thought i might wrap a few parts and see what happens. i first loosely wrapped the base as see in the pics. problem gone so i re mounted the antenna in the room and tried this again ( as seen in pics) and problem gone! i figured there must be something inside that mast mount that can go bad and called "tech support" this am to ask a few questions.

i explained what it was doing and what i found with the tin foil that worked to suppress this issue. he not only talkes extremely fast as if we were in some kind of race but was hard to understand as a result. i informed him this wasn't race so please calm down so i could understand him  rofl he said either a blown fuse on ground wire to batt or hole in the coaxial to cause this and to do a cont test from core wire to braided grounding strap wrapped inside the cable. i explained again that i did neither and that the radio does turn on but as i said wrap a piece of tin foil around the base and problem stops. again i asked what was inside the base of that the antenna that can short out or something. he said oh.....that spring loaded center has a wire on it and it and that it could've broke off and fallen to the side creating a ground path. now had he listened in the beginning he wouldn't have had to speed talk over me lol nice guy overall just needs to slow down and listen. i am going to replace that coax also as it's only $30 cut to length but the interesting part is that this unit is only 6 years old. when i read him the part # off the antenna he said they no longer use this antenna but the new model will work. i have the new model on my rail but am not going to try it on dougs. i say this as either it failed from poor quality and why they no longer use it but don't want to say that aloud or because something shorted it through the coax via the unit itself. so now i will check the ground fuse to make sure the system isn't back feeding through the coax. i know when doug bought this he drove through 3 or more flash flood rain storms on an open trailer so good possibility water got inside the unit and did some damage as they are not water proof. 

on another note .....enemy told me that on the busa engine they use a poor cam and crank sensor system and that those on the gsxr 1000's are better and that a lot of guys on the busa forum have swapped those in. this could mean the stock sensor system is more susceptible to rf interference than most. in dougs case he has a dizzy with an ignition module  and no cam sensor or crank wheel with a magnetic pick up.  not saying i know what i'm doing  ;D ;) just passing on the info  :)

Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Re: rugged radio car to car system
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:36:10 PM »
Were you not instructed to put a remote kill switch on Doug's to keep him out of trouble?? IT was not suppose to be the other way around! I'm surprised it is not opening and closing your garage door, turning on motion lights or switching channels on the TV right in the middle of Dancing with The Stars at your house.

The first time my car died when he keyed up I thought was a freak incident, the second time though I could see him grin when I told him he can no longer talk in my vicinity  LMAO
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 12:52:06 PM »
i have never and will never watch such a program! lol gawd aful tv!  lol ya not sure how that remote kill got swapped lol          here is a pic of my antenna that came with my 60watt rugged radio system........enemy can you expand on the camscrank sensor swap on busa from gsxr 1000 or a link so others havean option to look into if neeeded,     

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 01:00:14 PM »
enemy if you were to purchase a rugged set i thought this may be an option for a mounting solution    https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=736_401&products_id=2336

if one was to mount this up on the roof before a new roof was made, it would allow for the shortest coax cable and solve a limited space issue on the dash  ;) ;) 1 3/16" taller than the cage bar.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 01:10:29 PM »
also , before i started checking the antenna i first took a piece of tinfoil and laid it over the pcm grounded to the chassis to see if that would shield it, did not. then thought since this is a dizzy with ign module i would lay a piece over the module to sheild if maybe.......until i got bit from an arc of electricity that came out from the dizzy cap as i got close to the ign module! plenty of voltage there  rofl so f that i then went on to checking the cable and antenna. interesting thing is doug said he replaced the cap and rotor, i know wonder if the cap has a crack in it!  ;)

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 02:21:52 PM »
I have the Rugged RM-60 and the 660 intercom and been very happy for about a year now. The only issues I have are when I plug my phone charger in to the dash I get some RF noise. And I have the Alpha Bass headset for myself and the battery only lasts a few minutes. I need to send them in this month to see if they can fix them. Otherwise I have had no problems and most of my group runs the same setup.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 03:43:41 PM »
enemy can you expand on the camscrank sensor swap on busa from gsxr 1000 or a link so others havean option to look into if neeeded

Not at all necessary with the stock ecu, kinda like a Ford EEC4 Doug used to run.. very loose and tolerant... like a hooker!
It is when converting to MS or any other stand-alone computer, zero tolerance for noise. Stock Busa crank sensor is poorly shielded and bundled with stator wires, similar to the cam sensor.. Poor shielding and bundled with the coil wires. Have to add resistors in parallel and sometimes series as well to squash noise and keep cam/crank sync. Other options is run gixr 1000 (07 and up) cam sensor, it is a 3 wire hall effect vs 2 wire mag stock busa and rewire/route the crank with ground shielding wire wrap.
Pretty sure why Doug could kill my ignition lol My little 6 watt radio did not have the power! And my antenna isn't jacked!
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 03:47:34 PM »
enemy if you were to purchase a rugged set i thought this may be an option for a mounting solution    https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=736_401&products_id=2336

if one was to mount this up on the roof before a new roof was made, it would allow for the shortest coax cable and solve a limited space issue on the dash  ;) ;) 1 3/16" taller than the cage bar.

Yea! that may work out nicely! The mount that is... I have no roof  ;)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »
I have the Rugged RM-60 and the 660 intercom and been very happy for about a year now. The only issues I have are when I plug my phone charger in to the dash I get some RF noise. And I have the Alpha Bass headset for myself and the battery only lasts a few minutes. I need to send them in this month to see if they can fix them. Otherwise I have had no problems and most of my group runs the same setup.

i too am very happy with mine and i have the helmet kit for my save face mask's. haven't used them too much but do enjoy them when i have this year.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 05:08:43 PM »

Yea! that may work out nicely! The mount that is... I have no roof  ;)

i have been told that coax cable length is important but rugged offers a cut to length cable if you order this way. they don't offer unless you ask lol but anyway i ordered a replacement for dougs rail today. when i told them 5' 6" he said really? i said yes is that an issue as you offer to size them upon request. he said no but that he doesn't recommend anything under 5' so i went ahead and oredered it 6' since there is room. now the original tech i talked to that told me one could order to length, he never said there was a min length. so to a point the person that told me that did say stock length and that's not entirely true but there is a min. this is info they should put on there site imo 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 06:51:55 PM »
You should never key a mic without an antenna. It can easily blow the radio output circuit. That is a no-no. It helped you isolate some conditions but you got lucky.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 06:58:44 PM »
There's a shit load of info on EFI sites about CD ignitions noise effing up aftermarket EFI ecu's brains. Gotta be perfect on the wiring ,connector quality and wire looms locations/separation.

Hope you get this all sorted out so I can fix mine finally!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:03:16 PM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 08:19:33 PM »
There's a shit load of info on EFI sites about CD ignitions noise effing up aftermarket EFI ecu's brains. Gotta be perfect on the wiring ,connector quality and wire looms locations/separation.

Hope you get this all sorted out so I can fix mine finally!

well i know you said you had an issue or two but don't remember what you said those issues were?
and didn't know that about keying up w/o mic so good info.

this is the 60 watt radio i bought with my car to car system     

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 09:18:37 PM »
after watching this video i learned i have not only a voltage display but a low med and high transmit setting! i went and checked and i am in med. no reason to change as this worked clearly from egan lake to idho rv camp ground at st a while we were there.    dougs radio is a 6 year old 50 watt. don't have a manual on that and didn't see a video to see if it has the same settings.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 05:29:52 AM »
Noticed the UHF or VHF bands.  Wonder if that makes a diff as you are in diff frequency range?  Was a big long disc on GD about same kill motor issues.  Cant remember the outcome, but was seems was Motec, and something with antenna mount touching roof?  After some more coffe it will come back.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal