Author Topic: shifter  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
shifter
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:25:30 PM »
which is a better setup?
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

405dentech

Re: shifter
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 10:35:17 PM »
VDC4 the lower the linkage is mounted, the longer the throw of the shifter. Personally I would recommend the higher up mount.(quicker shifts). I actually ordered a complete shifter from Hyper Racing and it is badass but I will be modyfing it for that reason. I'll try and get a pic of it for you.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 10:45:08 PM »
i know that.. but thats not what im talking about..   should i have the pivot point of the shifter be at the bottom of the shifter or the middle..?   i know where to put the shift linkage..

plkracer

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 10:50:09 PM »
Depends on how you want it to shift, whether forward is up, down, etc. If it's on the floor, the pivot should be on the bottom. Mine is in the middle.

405dentech

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 10:55:12 PM »
i know that.. but thats not what im talking about..   should i have the pivot point of the shifter be at the bottom of the shifter or the middle..?   i know where to put the shift linkage..
Sorry I must have miss understood your question. I thought you were asking about mounting linkage. But I would definately agree with Plkracer and put the shifter mount at the bottom.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 11:35:27 PM »
i worried if the shfter mounting pivot is at the bottom.. that the 10 inch long shifter has alot of weight to it and hitting bumps could cause it to shift.. i expeirienced this in my nova when it had a heavy shift knob.  i see all the pirahnas have the pivot in the middle and the linkage below the shifter pivot.   i guess ill just have to figure out how to mount it like that between the seats.

405dentech

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 11:41:19 PM »
Don't get to cutting and welding yet. Let this thread ride for a few days and give some of these other guys that know their shit get a chance to chime in and give you a tried and true method. :)

artie on edge

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 12:00:31 AM »
In reality there is no difference between the two except one will reverse the action. Mechanical advantage is due to the ratio of the lever and they could both be identical in that respect.

The space you have available to mount the unit etc, dictates what you will use. If you are using a cable you will find that the inherent friction will stop any "sensible" weight gear knob from "ghost" shifting. If the knob isnt a sensible weight, get sensible and change it. Easy.

Can we have a discussion on shifters on your posting?

Ill start.

Paddle shifters (finger shifting) using cables have a problem, leverage and the weight required to shift is often a little too high for (repeated) finger use. To overcome this solenoids and air rams have been used. Big bucks.

So we mainly use the shifter Voodoo has pictured.

The main issue with it is, (in racing conditions) you dont want to move your hand too far from the wheel.

Why not mount the shift lever behind the s.wheel (pivoting near the s.column) so you shoot the hand off the wheel push or pull the lever which is level with, but behind the wheel.

Im gonna try that on my beasty.... that way its not whacking you on the knee etc

What thoughts guys?

And Voodoo if you want we can start a new thread on this. Your call.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:02:10 AM by artie on edge »

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 05:15:28 AM »
Why not mount the shift lever behind the s.wheel (pivoting near the s.column) so you shoot the hand off the wheel push or pull the lever which is level with, but behind the wheel.

What thoughts guys?

Hmm, I think you will want to think about crashing - Now I know that sucks, but it likely sucks less to think about it than to do it. 

I would be hesitant to mount anything that can trap your hand / wrist between two immovable objects.  Just a thought.  - Race on.

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 09:11:18 AM »
Artie has it right IMO.I much prefer the shifter within inches of the wheel.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Rick S.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 10:09:56 AM »
I run mine like in the first drawing, with the pivot down near the floor. But I place my link just below the handle so there's less movement required. I also prefer to pull into first then push 2nd thru 6th. Since I don't use the clutch to up shift, all I have to do is smack the shift lever. I've never had a problem with the weight of the handle causing a shift. Keep it near vertical and there shouldn't be a problem.

plkracer

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 11:40:31 AM »
To each his own... I push into first, pull back into the rest.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 12:47:31 PM »
i already made my shifter out of some old handle bars because the 7/8" bar it was made from. no probs with mounting a clutch lever then.  i made it a bottom pivot with a big clevis. then i got to thinking that it may be to heavy and ghost shift during bumps.  but i guess moving the shift linkage up higher would pretty much resolve that issue. i shift my motorcycles without a clutch most of the time. also i would prefer to puch first and pull back 2nd thu 6th. feels more natural to me. i can switch all that at the shifter on the engine, so thats not a problem.   yea go ahead and start a good shifter discussion here doesnt bother me.

Rick S.

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 05:29:41 PM »
My logic says it's easier, and quicker, to just smack the shifter with palm of my hand.
I'd hate having to grab the shifter for every shift. To each his own I guess. I also put my shifter on the left side. So I know you can get used to whatever way you decide to go.
I would probably like it on the right too, but I prefer a direct link to the shift lever,
vs. a cable, jackshaft, or multi-linkage.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 10:15:48 AM »
To each his own... I push into first, pull back into the rest.
Same here.I like push/downshift pull /upshift. Just seems more natural to but some think I'm just bassackwards. 8)
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal