Author Topic: Yellow Brick Road Hauler  (Read 3161 times)

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
Yellow Brick Road Hauler
« on: January 03, 2016, 04:08:18 PM »
Both my kids are in marching band. The title of their competition number was Dark Side Of The Rainbow. The only prop in their show was a 500# tarp that rolled out to be the Yellow Brick Road. It is 8 pieces, but still heavy and ackward to handle. At first I was going to build a simple 4 wheel kart, but fab addiction took over. Pictured below is Yellow Brick Road at national competition in Lucus Oil Dome.
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
Re: Yellow Brick Road Hauler
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 04:14:29 PM »
I started with a Honda TRX125 that was rotting in my barn. I stripped it down,cut the frame into,added 3 foot, and built a platform to haul the tarp. below is start of  hauler
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 04:26:46 PM »
Sorry for the quality of the pictures but this project took 2 weeks from pulling the 4 wheeler out of barn to hauling tarp on field

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 04:33:09 PM »
Our school colors are purple and gold.

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 04:41:04 PM »
I had to link a couple cables together for rear brake, but I had a long throttle cable. I used tubing to link shifter on motor to hand shifter I made.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 04:43:25 PM »
that is sooooooo cool!!!!!!!! very,very cool!!!!!! you deserve a dad of the year crown for that school.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 04:52:10 PM »
After I was well into this project  they told me there would be 3 places we could not drive the hauler on field. I had to build a kart to haul tarp out on those fields.  I started with a gokart axle. I built a frame for a platform and a tongue like a horse drawn kart for 2 men to pull with.

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 04:56:22 PM »
I built pull kart to be towed by motorized hauler. as in pictures Some times we were parked 1/2 mile from fields. better picture of hauler

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 05:02:25 PM »
I did get some perks. I got to pull the kart down the middle of the Rams field in St Louis. I got to drive the other kart down the middle of Colts field in Indianapolis. Now I need to figure out what to do with the karts since we won't have the tarp next year. Tim

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 05:11:50 PM »
Cool.  Good for you.  Band dad of the year. 

Confident the band can figure out a use for the cart and toter.  Lots of bands use stands, pa systems, etc.  Always something big and heavy to be toted around.  Course now they are gonna need a dedicated enclosed. Don't forget the logos.
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 05:28:34 PM »
All the other equipment was pulled out by hand. Others wanted to drive kart but I am oldest and I built it. They gave me 4x9 space in enclosed trailer. I had to stack pull kart on top of hauler. I am thinking of building tractor type 4 wheeler to pull all equipment in train for next year. Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal