Author Topic: Adding Oil Cooler to RPM  (Read 44539 times)

Offline jersdunz

• Fabricator
Adding Oil Cooler to RPM
« on: January 14, 2016, 11:14:05 PM »
So I have been trying to find threads where a cooler was added into an RPM drive.
I'd like to do mine to have about a 3 quart capacity.. with a large cooler.
Have been so far unsuccessful.. Anybody have input on such a conversation?

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: Adding Oil Cooler to RPM
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 05:22:49 AM »
Flyrider on MBN did.  Think its buried in here http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/projects-progress/20058-ragnar-two-seater-zx14-whoop-eater.html
It could be another thread he has going?  But he basically tapped the bottom (or used drain?) to feed small pump that runs thru cooler back to top of box.  Line back in dumps on input shaft.  Think it added about 2 qts to RPM setup.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 05:54:03 AM »
WHat's the problem. It's pretty straight forward putting a pump and cooler on it. Any RELIABLE oil pump such as a Mocal is about the size of an RV water pump. Finding a good place to put it can be a pain due to their size.

This one is almost the universal one used by top teams.
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/MocalDiffCoolerPump/Mocal_Differential_Cooler_Pump 
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 09:16:21 AM »
The Jeffco could use this treatment as well, problem is another 8amps will make my charging system tap-out, and why I never pursued it. Still bookmarking that link, thanks Fabr!
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 11:11:33 AM »
I thought the one I saw was using a mechanical gear driven off the box.  But I slept since then.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 02:00:50 PM »
Get a small hydraulic cylinder. Tap an extra port in the top. Put in 2 discriminator valves. Attach to rear trailing arm and frame. As the suspension cycles, it will pump the oil through the cooler. Zero HP loss and it always works.........

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 06:54:52 PM »
Get a small hydraulic cylinder. Tap an extra port in the top. Put in 2 discriminator valves. Attach to rear trailing arm and frame. As the suspension cycles, it will pump the oil through the cooler. Zero HP loss and it always works.........
dual or single acting cylinder?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 08:25:49 PM »
Was this just off the top of your head or are there people doing that? The concept is cool but,does it work in the real world?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 09:13:06 PM »
Busa guys could use the busa dry sump oil pump to do it as well.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 02:15:16 AM »
I like the ideas so far and in a minute i will tell you mine.

If I got my friends rail off him I would try it (as it has an RPM) But he sorta trashed it a good bit since he got it and wants near what he payed for it and it needs a bit of work right now. Soooo...

Anyways I was looking at his RPM when we had it apart and though if you could drill and tap a hole in just the right spot behind the large bottom gear and place a hose from there to the top the spinning bottom gear with its huge teeth would be throwing oil with force at the tube and force it to the top where you could drizzle it to the top bearings.

Would be easy enough to put a little cooler there and flow the oil through that before reentering the tranny.

Enemy your issue might be solved to avoid the extra amp draw is a second alternator driven off the axle. It would of course only make power when moving but thats the only time you would need it and wired into the rest of the system it would untax the engines system by adding needed amps if you are already that close to maxxies for the lights when hauling tail.

Not 100 percent sure the oil would flow with the idea I posted but it seems like it would.

Still would be nice to have a system that would flow oil to the top bearings even sitting still so if in neutral the top bearings were still soaked.

I also keep thinking I have seen somewhere a pump that uses engine vacuum to do a little work. If the right one could be had you could use engine vacuum to get the oil up top. I am pretty sure I have seem something like this somewhere.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 02:19:52 AM »
I am not sure what Fabrs Busa dry sump pump is but what about a car one?

Get a scavenger pump off a dry sump oil system. These are made for this kind of thing anyways and are proven and easy to get.

Set it up so its driven off the top shaft of the RPM.

This way ANY time the input shaft was spinning (even in neutral) it would oil the cooler and you could sploosh the top bearings at the same time.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 06:34:34 AM »
Of course something as simple as an oil slinger would likely distribute oil just fine also. Remember the little round sheet metal disc that old small block chevys had on the crank snout to sling oil to the cam gear to keep the top cam gear/chain lubed?

Here's some pics of it and other slingers. They are used a lot in places.Should be good for some non parasitic oiling idea options.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sbc+oil+slinger&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjH_b7FuK7KAhVQ2mMKHekYCGwQsAQIMA&biw=800&bih=395
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 07:08:51 AM »
The only thing with that in the RPM Fabr is the bottom end does sling the oil but only when it is in motion.

But I guess you likely know that? 

Spinning the top shaft in neutral for a long while will hurt the top bearings due to no oil being thrown up from the non moving bottom.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 08:52:42 AM »
I like the ideas so far and in a minute i will tell you mine.

If I got my friends rail off him I would try it (as it has an RPM) But he sorta trashed it a good bit since he got it and wants near what he payed for it and it needs a bit of work right now. Soooo...

Anyways I was looking at his RPM when we had it apart and though if you could drill and tap a hole in just the right spot behind the large bottom gear and place a hose from there to the top the spinning bottom gear with its huge teeth would be throwing oil with force at the tube and force it to the top where you could drizzle it to the top bearings.

Would be easy enough to put a little cooler there and flow the oil through that before reentering the tranny.

Enemy your issue might be solved to avoid the extra amp draw is a second alternator driven off the axle. It would of course only make power when moving but thats the only time you would need it and wired into the rest of the system it would untax the engines system by adding needed amps if you are already that close to maxxies for the lights when hauling tail.

Not 100 percent sure the oil would flow with the idea I posted but it seems like it would.

Still would be nice to have a system that would flow oil to the top bearings even sitting still so if in neutral the top bearings were still soaked.

I also keep thinking I have seen somewhere a pump that uses engine vacuum to do a little work. If the right one could be had you could use engine vacuum to get the oil up top. I am pretty sure I have seem something like this somewhere.
suggested a similar idea to shawn at jeffco a year or so ago but i suggested using a piece of aluminum shaped sort of funnel line to catch a large spray and funnel it into a small tube that could be carried outside the box and fed into a top mounted cooler that gravity would help return the oil back into the top of the box. yes it would have to be spinning to work however i like bdwk's suggestion and also wonder if a lobe could be added to the input shaft on either box and a mechanical fuel pump used to pump the oil?
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 09:03:28 AM »
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 09:18:05 AM by dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal