Author Topic: VW beam suspension  (Read 6456 times)

jsimp1960

VW beam suspension
« on: October 07, 2008, 07:13:18 PM »
Hey, I'm from North Alabama, and have just bought a rough fiberglass dune buggy body. I'm looking for ideas on how to build it, what kind of motor to put in it.  Something between a stock buggy and a monster manx (www.dejongsandcars.com) anyway will be mostly looking and searching  for information. Thanks Jim

Admin

Re: VW beam suspension
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 07:55:44 PM »
There is a few vw guys here, I myself am a previous vw guy, have had and built about 5 of them, Odynuck is a current "up to date" vw guy, well have some answers.... First thing id doo, is scrap the vw chassis, and build a tube chassis for it, I had one myself, It will take a little bit to explain but is doable,m berrien buggy actually manufactures them that way now...

welcome aboard...

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 08:09:18 PM »
Welcome to the site!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:51:34 PM »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Atchcraft

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 11:21:57 PM »
i'm a VW guy from way back. Subaru mills are great, but you can't go wrong with VW if you play you do it right. I've built the car you are talking about many times in my head. good luck with that. If I happen to run across an old manx... hummm. 

VLADD

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 04:57:10 AM »
Welcome Jsimp.
we are here to help any way we can ;)

boltz2012

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 12:53:36 PM »
Welcome to the site Jsimp..

jsimp1960

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys.  I have some other questions I would like input on.  I am planning on building a rail buggy with my fiberglass body fitted on(stretched, widened and raised).  Would the regular bug front end or long travel front be better?  Mostly for road use and some sand about every other year.  I want to build a long travel rear arms, and need prints or something with measurements for front and rear. Before everything I've built has been from pictures and that takes a lot of head scratching and rework to make it wright. I think it would be nice for something to at least have a print with it.  As for the motor I'm thinking about a vw diesel or a subaru. Don't know whether I want speed or fuel economy.  Thanks in advance guys, I've just found this site and so far its been great. Thanks Jim

boltz2012

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 05:24:45 PM »
As far as getting plans for suspension you will have to either buy some from somewhere or design them yourself...there are alot of places out there that make the parts and also sell the plans for them...check out the links below

http://www.desertkarts.com/
http://prosandminirailframes.homestead.com/
http://www.git.com.au/~theedge/

there are alot of people here that can help you design your own front end and suspension components. Im sure they wouldnt have a problem helping you out. Good luck on your buggy...

borris

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 05:26:35 PM »
A bug front end can be used economically and will perform very well but can't be called long travel. BUT, are you sure you want a buggy that will be mostly street driven and only occasionally used in the dunes with long travel.Personally I'd say no. Reason is that LT will have rather large amounts of body roll,will nose dive a fair amount when braking and in general feel "weird" on the street. I'd stay with an extended travel VW front suspension for your purpose. borris/fabr

Admin

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 05:52:49 PM »
you can get about 16" now days with vw components and aftermarket arms etc... Look at tuts cars... ;D

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 06:23:29 PM »
Would it be possible to have the best of both with air shocks?  Long travel beam car and have it set "stiff" for the road to minimize roll, pitch, etc and then when the time came to play, just adjust the air shocks? 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

jsimp1960

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 06:26:34 PM »
Thanks, I needed an opinion on the front suspension and that makes a lot of sense.  Don't know anything about air shocks but that sounds even better and a lot easier also.   Great thanks Jim

Admin

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 06:30:52 PM »
Imo air shocks body roll way more than a coil over, Just IMO tho...

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 06:33:54 PM »
Bugpac is the voice of experience - not me - mine was a question.  With luck, others will put in there $.02. 

So, would it be possible to still have the best of both with shock changes?  Daily driver and 16" off road buggy when the time was right?   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal