Author Topic: VW 2276 swing axle to Subaru 5 link conversion  (Read 9134 times)

Offline BrianN

VW 2276 swing axle to Subaru 5 link conversion
« on: June 22, 2018, 01:41:13 PM »
Starting a swap to Subaru. I bought a 2.5 sohc non turbo from a co-worker, but instead of a complete motor and transmission, I am getting parts and pieces. Should have just bought a jdm complete. Anyway, lots of questions. Can I just swap the throttle by wire throttle body to throttle by cable? I have the engine harness, but not the body harness. If I go stand alone ecu, do I need the body harness? I can fabricate, but wiring and electronics is not my thing. I am not looking for huge horsepower. I am planning on using the mt5 converted to use the front diff only. I plan on building a 5 link rear suspension. Would like to keep this simple as possible, and am on a budget. I have a lot of questions on this, but will stop there for now. Next, I have found a 2017 Crosstrek Ecoboost 2.0 engine. Should I even consider this? Conversion to throttle by cable? It will come with the wiring to the fuse block, and the fuse block. Will my mt5 even bolt to it? Thanks in advance.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: VW 2276 swing axle to Subaru 5 link conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 03:05:12 PM »
Welllllll,I am not a subi expert by a long way. Hopefully the ones here will chime in soon. I KNOW there are members that can answer those questions.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BrianN

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 10:00:49 PM »
I haven't received any responses on these motor questions, so I had better skip the idea of trying the new Subaru Crosstrek motor. I would like to hear any ideas about swapping the wire throttle to cable throttle, though. And if it will create tuning nightmares, or even possible. Thanks.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 11:03:40 PM »
i'll pm a couple guys that may know.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 10:31:25 AM »
I used Outfront's Stinger ECU and wire harness.  Their harness is only $350 that hooks to the ecu and engine.  Very easy.  The throttle by wire I am not familiar with? 

http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/engine_management.htm

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 11:51:21 AM »
i see you camp on southside so prob why we have never seen you there lol

so drive by wire throttle is built into the harness and ecu. if you plan on using a stock engine harness and/or ecu then leave it. if you can re pin the harness to a cable throttle style and alter what ever ecu you have then go for it.

no you do not need the body harness unless your using the stock ecu and then you may even need the body control module unless you have a source to get the theft system and such flashed out.

if you want to stay stock for ease, price and pump fuel you would still be better off with a stock turbo suby. stock ecu and engine harness then get on the suby forums (if no one can tell you here) and find out what needs to be shut off in the ecu and who can flash the stock ecu's.

if you go to a stand alone engine harness and ecu just buy it from outfront as budlight69 stated. he will even load a tune for your engine to bump it slightly over stock for the fuel you want to run.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:53:43 AM by dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline BrianN

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »
Thanks guys. The motor I have, although incomplete right now, is a 2.5, non turbo, from a 2007 Impreza 2.5i. dsrace, do you go to Little Sahara? I will plan on going with the aftermarket ecu/harness. I will ask another 200 questions as they come up!! I read somewhere that it was possible to bolt a different (cable throttle)to the intake, using an adapter for the bolt pattern. But I can't confirm that, yet.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 05:58:53 PM »
Almost all of the regular posters here go to LS 1-2 times a year. Some more often. We also go to St.Anthony,Idaho as often as we can .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 08:10:21 PM »
Thanks guys. The motor I have, although incomplete right now, is a 2.5, non turbo, from a 2007 Impreza 2.5i. dsrace, do you go to Little Sahara? I will plan on going with the aftermarket ecu/harness. I will ask another 200 questions as they come up!! I read somewhere that it was possible to bolt a different (cable throttle)to the intake, using an adapter for the bolt pattern. But I can't confirm that, yet.

yes LS is home sand for myself. i too run a little 4 cyl engine and a megasand trans. so you can see mine is a low budget build as well.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 08:12:58 PM »
the last 6 link i built. and that video i posted you can see the current a arm rear drive i built.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 10:00:49 PM »
I would do what was suggested above. Contact outfront and they can get you headed in the right direction. Tell them what motor you have and they are good about giving you options. I was going to stroke my 2.0 Subaru and the owner John asked for more info first. He had me email photos and give him all the motor info. He told me the notorious issues with my motor and what it would take to build. In my scenario it would have been cheaper to build a different motor than use what I had. John will be able to steer you down the best path.

With all that said you can always keep your eye out for a used motor. I got my fresh outfront motor used for $2600 on craigslist. I threw an intercooler on, upgraded the turbo and header, added some other outfront goodies, and had it tuned by John. I now make 400hp for under $5k. I could have just left the motor how it was when I bought it and had 300hp for $2600.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 10:02:33 PM »
Almost all of the regular posters here go to LS 1-2 times a year. Some more often. We also go to St.Anthony,Idaho as often as we can .

I'm just the lonely guy down in Glamis
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 10:13:48 PM »

I'm just the lonely guy down in Glamis

so all the reason you should show up for a group run at st a!! lancew has made the drive twice from south cali! :)

Offline BrianN

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 10:32:45 PM »
Do you guys ride with Glenn Zeiness? I may have spelled that wrong. Yellow 6 cyl. Subaru. He sent me to this forum.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 11:01:32 PM »
sure do....he's in that group run pic i posted.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal