Author Topic: mocking up for engine mounts......  (Read 3392 times)

xcalibur

mocking up for engine mounts......
« on: January 25, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »
lookin' to build a 12" wide rear engine cage section to go under oil pan and header, but looks like we'll have to move engine to the left about 4" off center for the sprockets and chain to line up without rubbing frame.....i know some of you have done this but any pointers before i weld.... ill post more pics later.....

Offline Yoshi

Re: mocking up for engine mounts......
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:30:11 AM »
What I started doing was to make a set of plate that bolt to the motor out of the rail. I then have another set of holes in the plate that bolt into the frame.  I use spacers between the plates and the motor, that way you can always machine them down a little if it's too tight, and if you wanna move the engine side to side, you can just adjust the size of the spacers on either side for where the motor goes.  I actually have a 1.5" spacer on the right side of my motor for using a Jeffco unit, my sprocket drive is 3" smaller, so I swap the spacer to the left side when I have to move the engine over for the sprocket drive setup, same frame mounts.

Bolting the motor to the plates allows you to do the fine threading of the plate to the motor with no stress, out of the rail, and you since there are no threads in the other 2 holes, and no threads in the frame, you can use a line up bar to pull the holes together and just run a nut and bolt through it.

Leave the mounts on the motor a little loose so it will go in the frame easier, then tighten all 8 bolts up at once. If you snug up the motor bolts first, it tightens up the plates to make them the widest possible, and it may be a tight fit getting it in place.

I have 3/8" plates plasma cut for my setup.....

You don't have to make the gap between motor and frame mounts as big as I did. I actually figured this out by accident. I decided to drop my motors down 2" and run a shallower oil pan and run the exhaust out the side to lower my center of gravity. The idea made it so much easier to put in the motors, I designed the new SR2 around the plates, although I actually turn the plates upside down for the new design so I have more clearance for the bolts. The bolts were pretty close to the block by just dropping it down. The below pic is the old setup, the new SR2 has the plates flipped the opposite, so the motor mounts are actually above the chassis mounts, and the new SR2 has 3/4" aluminum spacers between the block and the spacer plate.

xcalibur

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:51:26 AM »
tanks yosh, spacers are a great idea... especially for various engines and drive units... now next question, our full bump height will be 4-5 in. from ground, i am setting up my header to be 1.5" under frame, so ill still have 3-4 in before header smacks sand.... is that gonna be enough ?

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 09:19:23 AM »
tanks yosh, spacers are a great idea... especially for various engines and drive units... now next question, our full bump height will be 4-5 in. from ground, i am setting up my header to be 1.5" under frame, so ill still have 3-4 in before header smacks sand.... is that gonna be enough ?
yes, that will be fine, especially for sand use....

xcalibur

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 09:58:36 AM »
oh yeah and back to the engine alignment, if i move that thing over to the drivers side 3-4 inches off center, how much actually is that going to offset the weight side to side ? and im mounting battery and radiator on pass side anyways.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 10:12:38 AM »
oh yeah and back to the engine alignment, if i move that thing over to the drivers side 3-4 inches off center, how much actually is that going to offset the weight side to side ? and im mounting battery and radiator on pass side anyways.
why are you moving it that far, is your center carrier 17" wide or something?

xcalibur

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 12:46:59 PM »
 ;D no its about 12", lol, but from cenerline of engine case to drive sprocket is only 4", so centered it would only allow me to be 8" wide which would be okay but my header collector and oil pan need roughly 11" of clearance around them so that pushes me a few "s wider to clear chain on frame.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 02:07:44 PM »
but any pointers before i weld

Slide the extension tube on your engine hoist in just a bit.......  Looks like it's about to let go.  :o

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 05:29:16 PM »
LOL!!! Good EYE!!! Better tend to that SOON!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

xcalibur

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 08:23:11 AM »
i think he's had it that way for a hundred years  :D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 11:25:33 AM »
Hundred years huh? And you guys call me an old fart!LOL!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

xcalibur

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 08:19:36 AM »
like men in black, hey olds guys !!!! lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal