Author Topic: my winter project  (Read 31045 times)

bige

my winter project
« on: September 29, 2008, 05:50:29 AM »
well we have the 300cc atv disassembled,  I am now looking for a frame or plans to put this stuff in.

any suggestions on frame types?

VLADD

Re: my winter project
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 05:57:03 AM »
Single, or 2 seater?
woods or sand?
questions...questions???

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 07:08:56 AM »
 I kinda like this one on ebay motors. Item #140271306593
I know it doesn't have dual a-arms but looks pretty good otherwise.

SPEC

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 07:42:53 AM »
Is that the Bandit plans?
If it is I know the guy who sells those plans from another site...
I wouldn't go near that with a 10 foot pole...
Altho it's a simple design prolly would be easy to build...you would have to re-engineer many things if you wanted it to last...or handle worth a shit
But that's just me... ;D

bige

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 08:01:11 AM »
I will be doing mainly trail riding, hare scramble races, just alot of wood type riding.

I looked at those plans,  the donor atv has a seperate forward and reverse gear box, and I would like to use irs rear suspention. 

A single seater would get exciting thru the woods with that engine

fisherman

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 08:03:36 AM »
Spec, what would you do to improve that buggy?

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 08:48:41 AM »
I'd start off by having dual A-rms, not singles in the front, and rear...I'm not a fan of IRS so I'd prolly swing arm it, altho- I do have spme trailing arms on my last 750 So I could go indy out back...
Front and rear shock mounts are not re-inforced...much jumping or hard driving will fatigue the tubes that they are attached to, there will be a failure there...
The front hubs are northern hyd. trailer, with the snout ...they are durable but heavy as hell...Plus the spindle itself is not the best design for optimum steering geometry, I have found in the woods that keeping most of the spindle as  close to the center of the contact patch of the tire to be extremely helpful in keeping the steering light an predictable, That design...the tire rolls around an axis instead of just turning...
Moving to the rear, I have said before I'm a swing arm guy...Alittle tube rerouting, would ease the motor and cassett installation, The way it sits in the photo here you would certainly have some serious plunge in your axles...ANY IRS GUYS CAN JUMP IN AND CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!!!!
I'd prolly add some triangulation bars in the middle of the cage for structural integrity too
But then again these are my idea of good woods cars

bige

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 10:42:27 AM »
since I have the swing arm and shock I thought about useing it.  I have seen that set up used on a buggy called side winder

borris

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 10:54:17 AM »
I like the idea of swingarm rear. The front though is horrible with single a arm.Horrible camber changes and such.That's a strut front suspension and is fine for very limited travel but IMO not good when wishing for several inches of travel.

SPEC

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 10:57:05 AM »
Quick vid

Admin

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 03:56:43 PM »
I would buy the edge piranha plans myself, If you don't care about huge travel numbers etc, there has been cars that handled well with single a arms...

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 04:17:34 PM »

borris

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 04:23:17 PM »
I bow to you guys wisdom but I still hate the idea of single a arms. :angel: ;D ;D

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 05:00:32 PM »
Its not as bad as you think. I bought Doug Heims Piranha and I do alot of trail riding in the northern Wisconsin trails.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 06:00:28 PM »
 ;) he still hates them. ;D ;D Honestly I think they likely perform plenty well but I think you'd agree that if best is what you're after then a well designed doulbe a arm will outperform a single a arm setup.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal