Author Topic: Suspension terminology?  (Read 1549 times)

mvash

Suspension terminology?
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »
What is the terminology for the angle which may exist with an A-arm suspension where the inner pivot points axis are not parallel in azimuth? Any advantage/disadvantage?

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: Suspension terminology?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:42:21 PM »
If I understand correctly then it would be called anti-dive if executed correctly and you have front brakes.

The advantage is that when the brakes are applied they try to rotate the spindle which in turn causes the front end to try to lift, counteracting the dive as the weight is transfered to the front of the car.

The disadvantage is that your caster angle changes as the suspension travels.  Not a big deal on a road car with a couple inches of travel but with long travel if you have enough angle built in to cause the anti-dive then at the ends of travel you will have a significant change in caster angle.

Eta:  I am referring to the A-arm inner mounts not being parallel when looking from the side of the car.

If you are referring to them not being parallel when looking from the top of the car then that is a totally different animal.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:50:41 PM by Engineer »

mvash

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 11:19:04 PM »
Correct, the angle viewed from the top.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:38:44 AM »
On that car it is probably done to reduce the camber change produced by the anti-dive.

mvash

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 08:46:32 AM »
Thanks Engineer, I will look into that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal