Author Topic: So what do you do for a living?  (Read 5617 times)

405dentech

Re: So what do you do for a living?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 09:34:19 AM »
I really want Yoshi's job at wal-mart. ;D But until that day comes I will stick to paintless dent repair. I fix hail damage on cars and trucks.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 09:48:15 AM »
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

artie on edge

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 01:03:11 PM »
I play with other peoples money. And let me tell you guys that this is not much fun right now!

Im a superannuation consultant, I help larger companies choose the most suitable superannuation fund to meet their legal obligation (mandatory here in Aus) and look after it once its in place. This means helping the employer administer the fund and helping the members with financial planning matters.

And I actually own the company that does this, only problem is we are in the teeth of a 10 year long drought and now the financial down turn I may become one of those unemployed bums we hear so much about (on here!).

The question was how to we finance our hobby.... , mate there isnt a lot of spare cash to throw around right now.... looking forward to better times  ;D

Offline Pacman

• Resident Smart Ass
  • Fabricator
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 04:55:30 PM »
Male prostitute!

Offline Jerry

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 06:43:45 PM »
Hey Pacman, with a face like that how do you stay busy.

I am a self employed mobile dog groomer and bad typist and speller. As for being a buggy builder, not to great at that either. I got it up and running and then shorted out the electronics, and now it sits

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 07:02:44 PM »
I work in a small machine shop where I mostly stand infront of a CNC engine lathe all day. Dont confuse me with a button pusher / parts changer though. We are a small shop where I do all my own programing, tool setup, and running of parts, Most of what I do is onesies twosies. Every once in awhile I get a run of 20 parts  :o.

I also run a big Lucas Boring bar, CNC mills and other machines. I am also very expierencd on manual equipment. There really isnt much I cant run with a little time to play with it. But that probably goes for 80% of anyone.

I too went into the Navy to become a Gunner. After failing A school because I have no intrest in guns I went into the fleet undesignated. There I was a player and man whore for 3 years untill I was kicked out because Im a psycho  ::).

Oh and here is a pic of the machine I mainly run at work. The pice in the machine is a 10" diameter piece of 4340 HT. Its a little cold as it was sitting outside in about 10 degrees. The coolant was freezing as it was being cut.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 07:13:32 PM »
Oh and I thought I would add that my job no way pays for any of my buggy finances. I am busy being a father and husband as well. The buggy stuff comes from offering parts and components for purchase.

Here is a video I had posted along time ago of the machine I run frequently.

]

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 11:22:24 PM »
cool video.. reminded me of brad pitt for some reason...

i work for great dane trailers. have pretty good benefits, 4 day work week too. pay is not that great but its about the only place to work if your uneducated, that has a health, retirement, and savings plan, plus a decent wage for the work.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

plkracer

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 11:34:28 PM »
Hey bugpac.... You know about that Concrete show in vegas right? My dad has been down there for a few days now and he met a dude from Michigan who used to be in the same business. He said it just took a dump. He said he came to vegas to drive cabs for the event, well the crowd was so piss poor they didn't need half the guys they hired... WTF is goin gon there that it is so bad?

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 11:59:50 PM »
I am the R&D product manager for a small 80 employee lighting company.  I design lights, draw up prints, fabricate prototypes, build jigs, teach others, raise hell, piss off the foremen, and generally stir up as much shit as I can without getting fired.  I started as a grinder bitch, but it became apparent that I had a knack for anything they asked me to do.  15 months later I began to organize what is now the R&D program that I manage now.  We make everything to order.  Many one off peices.  Really fun stuff.

I am known as a bit of a tree huggin' dirt worshipper based on my sole efforts to create a company recycling program and green statement.  Another nail in that coffin is that I initiated and maintain our EPA/ENERGY STAR partnership. 

I also have a shop I share with 2 other guys currently.  I try to keep my rent paid with side project funds which I have been turning down lately to build my shotgun.  Now I need to pick up a few jobs to put some money in the bank for the rest of my parts. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:13:03 AM by T8erhead »

plkracer

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 12:05:11 AM »
Hey Doug, where'd you find that Dragula remix? I love it.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 04:48:16 AM »
Hey bugpac.... You know about that Concrete show in vegas right? My dad has been down there for a few days now and he met a dude from Michigan who used to be in the same business. He said it just took a dump. He said he came to vegas to drive cabs for the event, well the crowd was so piss poor they didn't need half the guys they hired... WTF is goin gon there that it is so bad?

The concrete company I work for usually sends bout 4-6 employees w/ spouse to Vegas, but construction is slow so no perk trips now.  Need some bailout money to afford Vegas trips. ;D  When we have a couple warm 60 degree days with sun, when dont have enough bodies for trucks, everyone w/cdl is driving 16 hr day. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Rick S.

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 06:30:29 AM »
I'm a machine tool designer at a design/build shop outside Detroit.
Been steadily employed in this line of work for the last 30yrs. I spent 17 years on the drawing board. The last 13 have been using Autocad, right now I'm being trained on UG.
I basically design and build ergonomic solutions for tough assembly processes. I design, detail and oversee the build of each job from start to finish, including install at the plant. One of the larger tools I designed installs the rear wheels on the John Deere Harvester in their Moline plant. I just finished up 4 piston stuffers for Cummins Engine in Indiana. Currently working on a front bolster loader for the Ford Cuatitlan Mexico plant.
It loads and centers the front end assembly within 1/4mm.  Next job is for taking BMW doors on and off at the Spartanburg SC plant.
I fund my builds with the money I make on side jobs at my home machine shop.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 08:11:24 AM »
Hey Doug, where'd you find that Dragula remix? I love it.

I got it from Brad Pitt ;D

Downloaded it long time ago. I can E- mail it to you if you like

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 11:44:27 AM »
I work for Bosch building automaited packaging machines.I specialize in the vertical group runing the cereal bags, coffee bags, french fry bags,etc. etc.
My job is to build the sub-assemblys that drop into the machine for the builders.

http://pa.bosch.com/boschvertical-us/eng/64301_64399.asp#video
Click on download video. then click on stream. It should show you our machine runing lucky charms.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal