Author Topic: Is it just me?? Sandrocket question.  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Is it just me?? Sandrocket question.
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:42:35 PM »
This is kinda Genral as this layout would be done with a bike motor with a driveshaft adaptor for a really easy and cheap sand rail as easily as a car motor. (Sand is the one place I feel reverse is not needed. But its still nice!)

Anyways heres something I was looking at and it struck me funny.

http://www.sandrocket.com/

More directly thier price list.

http://www.sandrocket.com/price_list.html

In the first group if you follow it down to #8 for a turn key rail they are asking $48,950.00

Being the motor is like you can get in a typical V8 high end rail but the tranny in these is NOTHING compared to a high end Medeola or Fortrin (sp?) in cost. Please note the motor is beleived to be stock for that price.  Many high end rear engine rails build them.

You can get those Jag rearends for under a grand easy. I have seen them for 300 and 400 bucks wheel to wheel.

Is it just me or is does that seem overpriced for that? Given the drivetrain aint that much?

(side note. Its usually just me.. But this time I wonder...)

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Gene

Re: Is it just me?? Sandrocket question.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 11:45:44 PM »
I've seen the Sandrocket up close and personal and it is a nice build. However, for that money you could do an awesome car with very good components or buy an even more awesome used car with fantastic components.

Your point is well taken.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 04:49:18 AM »
I thought the exact same thing; the rocket concept would in my mind be a way to get a lot of power with some rock solid components.  The most expensive part would be the corvette rear, but they do use 9" fords as well, just cut and moded it looks like.  BTW, that price does not appear to include panels, upgrades, etc. 

I liked the idea, then, I saw this picture

the guy says it is from front engine hose failure......  His quote: "Just make sure you use something better then hose clamps on the coolant lines....I have seen what can happen when one of 'em let go in a rail...."

no more front engine thoughts for me, well, it would need panels...... Also, somewhere on this board they use the frame to conduct the water to the rear?    No bueno...
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SPEC

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 05:37:31 AM »
Yummi beat me to the post...I was looking over the pics, from a safety engineer's stand point, no fire wall and minimal enclosure will result in injury as the above picture shows..I was going to ask about scattersheilds and blankets on the trans... as well as a driveshaft tunnel and loops to keep the drive train out of the cockpit in a failure situation...I like the concept but not the end result, Hell a guy could build a 500 hp rail for prolly around 5 grand using a little smarts and a used LS7 big block chev and drive train...Like Baloo is only his is different ;D

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 06:53:33 AM »
I would run short an lines to steel lines or just all an lines and a protective sheet of alum for shure. Thats just stupid not to protect yourself
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:33:08 AM »
Ouch. I do wonder if the clamp failed or if the mechanic on it forgot to tighten it...

It is kinda cool to see the motor right there and all but a simple thin aluminum cover like Punkur mentioned does make a lot of sense.

Yah Sandrocket DOES flow the coolant from the motor into two of the main frame tubes to go back to the radiator at the back. I have heard of a lot of people being burned just by touching the frame.

I would like this for the corrosion factor alone.
So I guess a shield on a home build would help with most of the worst issue?

Many of the trannys in the pictures on th site use a scatter shield. The smart guys do anyways.   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 10:46:04 AM »
Its crazy to think people sacrafice safety for looks or they are too cheap. Might as well just use rope for seatbelts while you are at it. My biggest problem is when poeple mount their fuel tanks outside above their heads. its insane. SAFTEY PEOPLE SAFETY! I sound like an old man for being so young but hopefully I will make it to being an old man acting on my opinions

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 10:54:39 AM »
Can you use rope for seatbelt if you double Knot it??   :P

I agree a fuel tank should be INSIDe the frame. Outside is just
dumb.

There really is not a safe place to put a fuel tank. If front it can come back on you. But in the back then it can slosh forward.

Heck sleds like the MachZ I just sold have the tank between your legs.  I have seen the gas cap come loose and soak the riders crotch (OUCH!) Lucikly never saw it ignite.

But if I hated the guy I would help to stomp the fire out!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 06:03:10 PM »
Its crazy to think people sacrafice safety for looks or they are too cheap. Might as well just use rope for seatbelts while you are at it. My biggest problem is when poeple mount their fuel tanks outside above their heads. its insane. SAFTEY PEOPLE SAFETY! I sound like an old man for being so young but hopefully I will make it to being an old man acting on my opinions
Approx 25 years ago our local roundy round track told the drivers they HAD to use LAP belts in all classes.Well,one stupid ass decided the hell with that and used a DOG CHAIN WITH A SNAP HOOK for his lap belt and the stupid ass inspectors let him get away with it.

Old kharma didn't let it slide tho.He ran off the track,rolled,was ejected and DEAD.DUMBASS.Track got sued for being reckless dumb asses also.Served them right.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 06:25:04 PM »
Some people are crazy. If you cant afford the safety equipment you souldnt have toys. JMO

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal