Author Topic: Water,Water Everywhere or WTF??????  (Read 26529 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: Water,Water Everywhere or WTF??????
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2018, 03:27:12 AM »
Your to do list sounds longer than mine!  And I added more. But will hopefully make build easier. I need to update thread.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2018, 06:09:04 AM »
Top of the list is getting buggy back together. Toter work will wait till after spring LS trip as I get drive train out of donor,blast and paint all the brackets and basically make all look pretty till then. 
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2018, 06:57:01 AM »
wow it was like 3 Christmas's all in 1 day for you!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2018, 09:54:09 AM »
yup!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2018, 11:44:55 AM »
You should have bought a lottery ticket, with the way your day was going. 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2018, 12:04:06 PM »
good point  ;)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2018, 12:13:16 PM »
I had forgotten this thread. I'm thinking it is relevant to my problem now. Piston is off to JE (ya,been dragging my feet) for them to give me their opinion of what happened. Hope to have an answer in the next couple weeks and new pistons by end of Feb.
  This shortish description of detonation and pre-ignition and mega knock have my attention. Can't wait till I hear from JE.
Pre-ignition

Pre-ignition (or preignition) in a spark-ignition engine is a technically different phenomenon from engine knocking, and describes the event wherein the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder ignites before the spark plug fires. Pre-ignition is initiated by an ignition source other than the spark, such as hot spots in the combustion chamber, a spark plug that runs too hot for the application, or carbonaceous deposits in the combustion chamber heated to incandescence by previous engine combustion events.

The phenomenon is also referred to as 'after-run', or 'run-on' or sometimes dieseling, when it causes the engine to carry on running after the ignition is shut off. This effect is more readily achieved on carbureted gasoline engines, because the fuel supply to the carburetor is typically regulated by a passive mechanical float valve and fuel delivery can feasibly continue until fuel line pressure has been relieved, provided the fuel can be somehow drawn past the throttle plate. The occurrence is rare in modern engines with throttle-body or electronic fuel injection, because the injectors will not be permitted to continue delivering fuel after the engine is shut off, and any occurrence may indicate the presence of a leaking (failed) injector.[3]

In the case of highly supercharged or high compression multi-cylinder engines particularly ones that use methanol (or other fuels prone to pre-ignition) pre-ignition can quickly melt or burn pistons since the power generated by other still functioning pistons will force the overheated ones along no matter how early the mix pre-ignites. Many engines have suffered such failure where improper fuel delivery is present. Often one injector may clog while the others carry on normally allowing mild detonation in one cylinder that leads to serious detonation, then pre-ignition.[4]

The challenges associated with pre-ignition have increased in recent years with the development of highly supercharged and "downspeeded" spark ignition engines. The reduced engine speeds allow more time for autoignition chemistry to complete thus promoting the possibility of pre-ignition and so called "mega-knock". Under these circumstances, there is still significant debate as to the sources of the pre-ignition event.[5]

"Pre-ignition and engine knock both sharply increase combustion chamber temperatures. Consequently, either effect increases the likelihood of the other effect occurring, and both can produce similar effects from the operator's perspective, such as rough engine operation or loss of performance due to operational intervention by a powertrain-management computer. For reasons like these, a person not familiarized with the distinction might describe one by the name of the other. Given proper combustion chamber design, pre-ignition can generally be eliminated by proper spark plug selection, proper fuel/air mixture adjustment, and periodic cleaning of the combustion chambers."

"Detonation induced pre-ignition

Because of the way detonation breaks down the boundary layer of protective gas surrounding components in the cylinder, such as the spark plug electrode, these components can start to get very hot over sustained periods of detonation and glow. Eventually this can lead to the far more catastrophic Pre-Ignition as described above.

While it is not uncommon for an automobile engine to continue on for thousands of miles with mild detonation, preignition can destroy an engine in just a few strokes of the piston."

You never got to preignition IMO. Ring land broke first. Lucky guy!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:21:26 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2018, 08:04:57 AM »
i asked once if pre det may have caused that. of course you can adjust all that with your ecu . no matter what, that leak in the head was causing issues and lucky you caught it when you did.  all is good as you are fixing so we can all get rides in april!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:06:53 AM by dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2018, 12:28:29 PM »
Wonders of wonders!!!!? JE is making me a new set of pistons for..............,FREE !!?!!?!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2018, 01:56:56 PM »
on one hand thats fantastic but on the other.....your changing pistons. atleast the new set should be better!

Offline big dave

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2018, 03:26:08 PM »
Any reason given why it failed????

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2018, 05:38:58 PM »
Yes,they said I was correct in thinking the lateral gas ports were indexed wrong and either were directly responsible or significantly added to the issue. They said the tune had nothing to do with the problem.Neither was detonation or pre-ignition.  They also want  me to change the ring package to thinner rings to add material in the intake valve relief to top ring area. Both of which I felt was needed before they told me their determination. I cannot be happier in how this is turning out even though it has cost several $$$$$$. The custom pistons by themselves would be over $1200 bux. IMO,JE Pistons really stepped up to this one.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2018, 07:03:02 PM »
Yes,they said I was correct in thinking the lateral gas ports were indexed wrong and either were directly responsible or significantly added to the issue. They said the tune had nothing to do with the problem.Neither was detonation or pre-ignition.  They also want  me to change the ring package to thinner rings to add material in the intake valve relief to top ring area. Both of which I felt was needed before they told me their determination. I cannot be happier in how this is turning out even though it has cost several $$$$$$. The custom pistons by themselves would be over $1200 bux. IMO,JE Pistons really stepped up to this one.

good to hear!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2018, 07:18:11 PM »
In 40 years of building engines and racing the hell out of my stuff I have had 3 times that manufacturers have stepped up and admitted their responsibility . There's a reason they are still successful.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline big dave

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2018, 06:46:22 AM »
Wow, it not often you get that kind of service these day. nice to see someone still stands by there Name.  :s :s

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal