Author Topic: Don Garlits Once Said  (Read 2816 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Don Garlits Once Said
« on: August 02, 2017, 05:11:55 PM »
And I heard it from his mouth one night at MOKAN Dragway in the early 70's, (a SE Kansas regional strip that has been in continuous operation since the early 60's.I've made a gazillion passes down that cow path. Well that's another story. rofl ),he was all alone,no crew whatsoever, and doing what he always did in that era. He was tearing an engine down between rounds and replacing a few pistons /bearings/whatever. He was using a bunch of obviously used parts.I didn't see a single new part in his trailer. A person,in those days ,could just walk right up to the guys and if they were in a mood to talk,strike up a conversation. I was pretty young but had talked with him a couple times before and asked him where the new parts were. He said," I hate new parts,they need too much massaging ." I'll never forget that night and after the BS I've gone thru recently getting this new dry sump BS mount rigidity sorted out (along with 40 years of never doing anything the easy way)I'm beginning to believe he was right. LMAO LMAO Pretty sure most here can understand . ;) ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:19:38 PM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Don Garlits Once Said
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 09:27:45 AM »
there have been times when i would second that but anymore...the lack of quality.......unless its a 30 year old used part it prob no better than a new part lol    on the dry sump....really no such thing as a kit anymore!
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »
there have been times when i would second that but anymore...the lack of quality.......unless its a 30 year old used part it prob no better than a new part lol    on the dry sump....really no such thing as a kit anymore!
Never was. They also have always been pretty sketchy with just a single blade mount with 2 bolts. All I have ever seen would clock ,viewed from above,a couple degrees around that single blade as rpm changes. Never was happy on the drag engines with that but decided it was not going to be there with this car. The "easiest" things always turn out to be the biggest PITA to fix.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 03:13:55 PM »
Never was. They also have always been pretty sketchy with just a single blade mount with 2 bolts. All I have ever seen would clock ,viewed from above,a couple degrees around that single blade as rpm changes. Never was happy on the drag engines with that but decided it was not going to be there with this car. The "easiest" things always turn out to be the biggest PITA to fix.
isn't that the truth!!!!!!!  ;)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 07:24:48 PM »
Here it goes again. I hate new combinations especially when they are just combinations of supposedly same kind of new parts.......  :m
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 06:40:15 AM »
are you buying another dry sump kit?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 09:14:09 AM »
No,I have dry sump stuff all over the place. I need to have a fire sale.LOL!  I'm putting the new set of heads on the engine. Same castings as the others but as with any custom parts there are always a lot of details,design upgrades/changes and crap to deal with. Then there is the clearance issues . All pushrod locations have to be milled for clearance , All spring pads must be machined for spring height. Chambers need CC'd. Ports must be matched to intake. FOrtunately,porting is minimal with these heads. Pushrods will be all new lengths due to very little range of adjustment of about .100 for Jesel shaft rockers. Not that they won't adjust more but it throws a wrench into the optimum rocker arm/valve tip geometry that is all important to a happy and long life head. Pushrods need to be correct length ,+-.025 hence the need for customs. I buy Trend Pushrods,best PR makes Many times just doing a valve job it requires new pushrods to maintain  the geometry.I enjoy building these type engines due to the precision needed to actually build one but without a machine shop or deep pockets and the ability to know what is required to successfully assemble they are best left to others. 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal