Author Topic: Concussion or Spinal Compression  (Read 2422 times)

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
Concussion or Spinal Compression
« on: February 26, 2016, 06:43:31 AM »
Weird thing happened yesterday. I've heard of it, but I've never seen it.

Rio Rancho just opened a bad ass new public park, probably the best I have ever seen, so some friends and I took the kiddos to play. Right away I start spotting little safety issues (that could smash a foot, that could trap a kid kind of stuff) and my buddy's wife tells me I should work in safety. I told her, don't even go with me to the trampoline park! I'm really not the Captain Cautious type until it comes to kids, but anyway...

My daughter and 6 or 7 other kids are on the top of one of those molded hollowed out logs, but this one is huge and stands about 6' tall. My daughter creeps to the edge and jumps to the artificial turf below and I think, "Someone's feet are going to be hurting tomorrow." She's my little dare devil for sure and I won't discourage her because she's growing up in a tough world, where girls need to be tough. She runs off without skipping a step, but then other kids are suddenly emboldened two or three other kids jump with varying degrees of comfort.

Then as I'm looking away to find my son to make sure he doesn't run out from under it in the path of a jumping kid, this little girl hits the ground hard and I see that she lands partially on her feet and partially on her butt at a weird angle. I don't know if she slipped as she jumped, changed her mind at the point of no return, or got bumped off balance, but right away she is uncomfortable and gets up holding her lower back. FAWK, I hate seeing a kid get hurt! Her mom is right there and starts to comfort her and I go on looking for my son as her mom takes her to a close spot to sit her down. Not 10 seconds later I turn to see her mom in a panic trying to revive her daughter who is simply slumped in her arms and completely unresponsive! Her mom looks at me with terror and yells for help. I got on the phone and called 911. By the time I got off the phone the little girl regained consciousness and just looked pail and terrified. She eventually got carted off to an ambulance, but seemed fine.

So, did she get concussed from the energy traveling up her spine to her brain, whiplash, or did she shock her spinal cord and trip her nervous system? I can laugh at adults on YouTube all day long, but I could go my whole life without seeing another traumatized kid.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Concussion or Spinal Compression
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 07:04:38 AM »
You and I are from different eras for sure .To me ,too many kids are overprotected and miss out on learning way too many things-the hard way. No,I don't want to see even one child hurt ,on the other hand I don't like the level of pussification I see all around me. We learn best and never forget from experience.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 07:08:26 AM »
I think you are looking for zbras when you saw a horse?  An adrenaline dump in a kid will often times cause breathing issues and ultimately lead to fainting.  A reset if you will for the kid.  No fun, but most likely stress induced.

Fainting may have a variety of causes. A simple episode, also called a vasovagal attack or neurally-mediated syncope, is the most common type of fainting spell. It is most common in children and young adults. A vasovagal attack happens because blood pressure drops, reducing circulation to the brain and causing loss of consciousness. Typically an attack occurs while standing and is frequently preceded by a sensation of warmth, nausea, lightheadedness and visual "grayout." If the syncope is prolonged, it can trigger a seizure.

You may suffer from a simple fainting spell due to anxiety, fear, pain, intense emotional stress, hunger, or use of alcohol or drugs. Most people who suffer from simple fainting have no underlying heart or neurological (nerve or brain) problem. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 07:26:12 AM »
You and I are from different eras for sure .To me ,too many kids are overprotected and miss out on learning way too many things-the hard way. No,I don't want to see even one child hurt ,on the other hand I don't like the level of pussification I see all around me. We learn best and never forget from experience.

I hear you man. My kids won't be pussies, but I'm also not the dad that lets them stick a fork in an outlet so they learn the hard way either.  ;D

They take their falls with the best of them. I make them aware of the risks, but they aren't kept from playing because of the risks. "That 4 kid seesaw hits the ground where your feet ride. Don't let your foot get under it. Have fun! Love ya!"
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 07:30:28 AM »
FWIW, yes, I definitely would have called 911 ,in this instance,as well. IMO,you did right.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 08:16:30 AM »
People are different and some folks can from birth take a lot of G-force and abuse naturally and others not.

A good friend of mine lost his girlfriends teen daughter a few years back at a local (to them) northern Michigan ski resort. She was on a smaller easy hill an had what looked to all watching like a simple slow speed fall. But passed away right after. I never pried to much into why what injury she had did but some people are just susceptible to odd hits to their body. 

While others can walk away and be called miracles from what you would think would have killed anyone.

Good or bad it may all be luck.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 08:29:37 AM »
FWIW, yes, I definitely would have called 911 ,in this instance,as well. IMO,you did right.

Yeah, the mom wasn't asking for help to hold her child. She was genuinely scared. Having seen how she landed and how she was holding her back when she got up made me think possible spinal injury leading to unconsciousness. Better safe than sorry. I wouldn't ignore anyone falling off a 6 ft. ladder, which is pretty much the equivalent to her fall.

People are different and some folks can from birth take a lot of G-force and abuse naturally and others not.

A good friend of mine lost his girlfriends teen daughter a few years back at a local (to them) northern Michigan ski resort. She was on a smaller easy hill an had what looked to all watching like a simple slow speed fall. But passed away right after. I never pried to much into why what injury she had did but some people are just susceptible to odd hits to their body. 

While others can walk away and be called miracles from what you would think would have killed anyone.

Good or bad it may all be luck.

Jesus. That is sad.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 09:06:52 AM »
Don't know why I feel like I have to prove I'm not raising pussies, but just in case!    5:

... hope the mats don't disqualify her as a bad ass! This is my daughter 2 years ago when she was 7!  It was her 2nd time on the rope. jj: jj: jj:

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »
I wasn't referring to you. It was just a blanket statement. I would have done the same as you did.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 01:16:55 PM »
I wasn't referring to you. It was just a blanket statement. I would have done the same as you did.

It's cool man. I was just showing off. Proud of her!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 02:17:14 PM »
Very cool. I'm on my phone till tknite. I'll for sure watch it tonite.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal