Author Topic: Little Sahara Spring Ride 4/20-25(All DTS members welcome.)  (Read 32925 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Little Sahara Spring Ride 4/20-25(All DTS members welcome.)
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2015, 09:09:01 AM »
Get that jeffco apart yet?

yes we did friday night and i am going to upload the raw footage to youtube in a few and post it. talked to shawn at jeffco and he said jon is only the third person to snap that shaft.  sounded real when he said it lol but since jon just got this back 1 year ago and only has three trips on it shawn said he wants to verify that and if so he will warranty the parts.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2015, 09:19:47 AM »
The reason he is only the third person to snap the shaft is because there aren't really that many trans out there.It's not like any of us are putting out shit loads of HP. I mean,realistically,we aren't making but 220,maybe 240 HP and the torque is almost none.  rofl  Add to that ,enemy's car is light weight. Wheelies or not,we just aren't making any serious power.Oh well,if jeffco is fixing it on their dime,I guess enemy can get yet  another partial trip out of it.................
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2015, 09:42:14 AM »
i agree one would think that box capable of a lot more and the only thing i can think of is the pounding they take from the woops or choppy ground otherwise heat maybe? but jon has figured out how to get the heat way down in the box. the weakest link in the box up until this last update was the bearing in the idler gear and his custom gears weren't strong enough then he got with weddle to strengthen up the gears and now they seem to be real clean with no visible signs of wear. nothing will beat what you've designed but it will be interesting to see how the next few trips do with this box. he got 3 trips out of the last tear down lol  but after you see the video you'll know why so soon this time anyway. you are right we are not putting out much of any tq and little enough that a fully weddle built t1 trans is rated for, hell the rate the fully built t1 w/weddle gears to 200 ft lbs tq. which makes me wonder why transworks couldn't get that unit right!!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2015, 09:47:38 AM »
fabbr did you stop and take a look at the sand bullet rails with the gear one reverse box's? i installed one for a customer back when they first came out. poor machined parts kept it from running even once before it was shipped back to be fixed but i liked the concept of it. direct couple however that love joy coupler was never strong point imo. i think they could've came up with a stronger way to couple them. had some other snags installing the unit and had to get with sand bullet 5 or 6 times along the way to work with them to figure it out as they hadn't yet either lol i won't bore anyone with those issues but in the end when the box kept popping out of forward and reverse they finally just told my customer who lived 30 mins from them it was because the unit wasn't installed in one of there frames so they weren't going to warranty it!!! had to put a stout lock on the shifter to keep it in gear.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #169 on: May 03, 2015, 09:48:09 AM »
are the rpm box's straight cut gears?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: May 03, 2015, 11:40:08 AM »
Didn't look at the trans. RPM are straight cut gears. Straight cut carry a little less load than helical,make noise but with the advantage of no thrust loads to deal with. Easier to design from that standpoint and fewer bearings to fail in the unit.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #171 on: May 03, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »
gear one made the units but sand bullet assembled them.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #172 on: May 03, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »
still processing on youtube  so prob a min or two

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2015, 02:29:19 PM »
what is that big grove in the shaft? E-clip grove?

Will the results of the video gained me one more X on the tow strap.  What is that now three? lol.  But you have to admit it was a nice clean pull this time. ;D

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #174 on: May 03, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
lol that was an easy pull back and that pic lol

as best as i can tell the split washer drops into that groove to retain that gear but no snap ring in the other groove. shawn said he made a change to that groove so we'll see as he said if it was indeed last year he rebuilt it that he will warranty the shaft. it really looks like it has been fractured for a while from the discoloration from the oil and i believe this is the 4th time.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #175 on: May 03, 2015, 06:37:03 PM »
and the torque is almost none.   rofl

Only 570ish FTLB's in first gear from a stock Busa motor. Should be easy to make that work, shock loading be damned..........

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #176 on: May 03, 2015, 08:10:29 PM »
what is that big grove in the shaft? E-clip grove?

Will the results of the video gained me one more X on the tow strap.  What is that now three? lol.  But you have to admit it was a nice clean pull this time. ;D
ONLY TWO! But please reserve some space after my last signing, I dont want to have to go searching for a new spot to do some Sharpie work'
And it WAS a very nice pull back to the camp! The fragrance of e85 is quite pleasant when it is not being blasted at the schnoz at 20+psi in the dark  ;D

"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: May 04, 2015, 07:07:08 AM »
Only 570ish FTLB's in first gear from a stock Busa motor. Should be easy to make that work, shock loading be damned..........
He's doing wheelies in 5-6th gear.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #178 on: May 04, 2015, 01:13:54 PM »
He's doing wheelies in 5-6th gear.

i was about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in fifth when he passed me riding a small wheelie in 6th gear....passed me rofl . that was two trips back.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #179 on: May 04, 2015, 01:41:56 PM »
Fast started it! I was just chasing the smell of corn this time.
Still amazed those China paddles can do that missing a few paddles lol. 9 years old and money well spent!!
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal