Author Topic: Dip your car?  (Read 5689 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: Dip your car?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2013, 09:09:49 AM »
Seems I am not the only one with fur issues:

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2013, 09:22:25 AM »
Can someone PLEASE tell me why I would even think of using the stuff. Sure looks less than durable to me. You guys go ahead though.............................not worth the effort for something so temporary for me to do. Doesn't even look good in vids and pics IMO. If pics aren't impressive I doubt I'd even take a second look in person. Just not my idea of good looking paint. Perhaps as just an abrasion resistant area treatment like where sand blasts suspension and such where it could be peeled off and restored without hassle,yeah but not the whole car.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2013, 09:28:49 AM »
Sure, I think it is a pretty slick product if it goes on right.  No doubt folks had the same thought when powder coat first started coming out?  Some guys hate PC, some hate chrome.  Just an option that is out there. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2013, 09:45:50 AM »
It just comes off too easily.

IF temporary is the goal it appears great. I may have to change my mind after hearing how it holds up offroad but I doubt it. Stuff just comes off too easily once an edge is loose from the vids I've seen.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2013, 10:04:59 AM »
 I thought this was a decent comparison of various finishes in a nutshell and might help someone decide.

Quote Originally Posted by dsocohen  @  http://www.veloster.org/forum/8-hyundai-veloster-general-discussion/4032-plastidip-lifespan-quality-application.html

"This is the first forum that I frequent that's really into plastidip. As a matter of fact, I had never even heard of it before seeing it here. All the other car forums that I frequent either paint, powdercoat, vinyl wrap or carbon fiber panel their parts. I don't really understand why you would want to go through the effort of coating a part with a non-permanent solution. Why do this instead of the other more permanent options listed above?

Mainly because non-permanent means that it can be removed easily, in case you don't like it, or feel that you need a change. A can of plastic-dip also goes for $10-$15, so it's fairly inexpensive. While it may not be as durable and nice looking (plasti-dip sprays on and dries with a rough matte finish), it becomes an easy to do alternative. Each method has their pro's and con's, so it pretty much depends on the user.

Many of the people who use Plasti-dip want to change up their car, from rims, to badges, to certain panels (like grille, side sills, spoiler, etc.) but don't want to risk possible re-sell value and/or like changing up the style every once in a while. It's a decent alternative to the more permanent solutions, but it is not for everyone.

Powdercoat
+durable
+many different options of colours and finishes
+With a proper sandblast, powdercoat and clear coat, end product will glisten
-expensive
-time consuming
-requires professional work to be done
-permanent

Paint (Pro)
+fairly durable with clear coats
+many options of colours and finishes
+Professionally painted parts will look OEM
-expensive
-permanent

Paint (DIY)
+fairly inexpensive
+fairly durable with clear coats
+many options of colours and finishes
+/-depending on DIY'er, may look great or poorly done
-time consuming
-permanent

Vinyl Wrap (Reg Vinyl or CF)
+fairly inexpensive
+durable up to a certain point
+Can be DIY
+non-permanent
-time consuming, potentially irratating
-may be hard to remove
-Un-repairable if damaged
-Does not glisten/sparkle like paint/powdercoat

Plasti-dip
+very inexpensive
+fairly durable to a certain point
+non-permanent
+easy to apply
+/-matte finish
+Can be DIY
+non-permanent
-Does not glisten/sparkle like paint/powdercoat
-no proper clear coat (Plasti-dip does have a clear spray, but its not a proper clear coat) "
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »
One place I can see the dip being useful is if you have a very nice paint job and your going somewhere muddy or your worried about it getting sand blasted. It would really help with the Baja pinstripes also........

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2013, 01:26:50 PM »
Well, peeled the orange.  The stuff comes off easy if that is your goal.  What does not come off easy comes off with Xylene.   So decided orange is out.  Thought I would try black.  The black dip, like the white is way easy and maybe one of the most forgiving spray paints I have ever seen. 

Now that I have played with orange and black, I think I will stay shiny. 

So, my take away.  Good product for some applications.  Confident it will hold up on wheels, etc.  Blaze colors - not so good.  Nice matte finish. 

Very easy and inexpensive way to tell if you want to powder coat a part / change a color.  Would be great on truck bumpers, etc.  Likely better film protection than 3M given what horror stories I have heard re: 3M.  Won't hesitate to use it on the Jeep project.   

For me - Xylene, here I come.   

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2013, 02:38:31 PM »
WHen looking for a matte black finish that can be easily redone the matte black dip looks killer. I actually may well use it on my wheels and leave the beadlock rings satin(read that as sandblasted by mother natures best)  aluminum.

Yes , the 3M stuff has plenty of horror stories as well. For me tho,I think I'd prefer it as the original paint shows through pretty much unchanged in looks when successfully applied. IMO,both products rely on a quality application as any product does..
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:41:52 PM by masterfabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »
I actually may well use it on my wheels and leave the beadlock rings satin(read that as sandblasted by mother natures best)  aluminum.

Hmmmm... a convert?  If you do here is a tip - the stuff likes to be sprayed vertically.  Lean the tire against a wall, spray areas, roll 90* spray again, roll, etc.  I used tire to hold piece of cardboard against wall.  Do not try to tape too close to wheel.  Will peel the lip.  May even be better to not tape the wheel just for that reason.  My tires are too tight to use index cards. 

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »
No not a convert at all. I think the matte look on unpolished cast wheels would look great but might alaso be a PITA to remove due to the cast texture. Read anything about that? There's no way,I don't think so anyway,that I would consider in place of paint. Spot areas maybe,maybe even likely but only after I cuss the 3M stuff first try.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal